Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.

Girdle Wax posted:

GBIC/SFP based ports can only take 1000/full afaik, fixed modules may vary by platform.

1000baseT always requires autonegotiation to work properly. If you have auto on one side, and something else on the other, you usually end up with the AUTO side negotiating to 100/half. This has been my experience with PIXs, 4948s, 6509s, and 7604s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.
The 3020s do support trunking/port-channeling between each other (see 'media-type internal'; you lose one or more of the 'external' ports, numbered 17-24 on each switch), but you can't do what Nortel refers to as 'split-MLT'. Unfortunately, you're going to be doing active/passive if you want to diversify your connectivity.

We have the exact same setup in our environment (HP C-class, Cisco 3020s uplinked to a pair of 4948s, uplinked to a pair of 6509s) and I don't believe that you'll be able to do actual load-balancing on the switches, like you have described.