Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

sudo rm -rf posted:

You can seem me realizing I probably had hosed something up, so I pulled the cables from fa0/13 and fa0/23. Was it the channel-group mode setting that did it?

Might be due to the po flapping while trying to negotiate with the other side. What mode was it on both sides of the channel? I only saw it in passive on the one side and didn't see the mode for the other.

Edit: How's your STP set up? Are you running root guard and loop guard?

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
PIX 515E pimpin'

pixfirewall# sh ver

Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 8.0(2)

Compiled on Fri 15-Jun-07 18:25 by builders
System image file is "flash:/pix802.bin"
Config file at boot was "startup-config"

pixfirewall up 6 mins 21 secs

Hardware: PIX-515E, 256 MB RAM, CPU Pentium III 547 MHz
Flash E28F128J3 @ 0xfff00000, 16MB
BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

733Mhz/133FSB proc running at 547/100FSB :v:

Waiting for a 1Ghz coppermine proc to come in and see if it'll boot. It did not like the 1.4Ghz Tualatin.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

psydude posted:

All about dat LT2P/IPSEC.

Since we have no network engineering thread (but like 5 windows threads for some reason):
What's y'all's opinion of Arista switches? They're cheap as gently caress compared to Cisco when it comes to 10/40g at the core/distro layer, and their SFPs are literally 5 times cheaper than Cisco's.

On that note, has anyone figured out which brand of non-Cisco SFP works with Cisco's poo poo?

switch(config)# service unsupported-transceiver
switch(config)# no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

wyoak posted:

I know, but it's just not on that device/IOS (the caret actually points at the unsupported-transceiver part)
code:
This-Router-Hostname(config)#service unsupported-transceiver
                                ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

IIRC, the commands are only in the catalyst switches. No clue on the router side.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Apparently Brocade dropped device clustering support in Vyatta 6.7 :iiam:

MF_James, looks fairly straight forward IOS.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15-3-3/configuration/guide/cg15-3-3.html

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Anyone have any 5506/8-X's running in production yet? If so, how's the performance?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Methanar posted:

Ultimately all I want to do is replace the 5505 (left) with 5506 and have it still work. I don't have the option to create rule exemptions for the 5506.

I've already gone through that cisco link, but it's pretty far over my head right now.

Some interesting NATs you have going on the old firewall.

Based on what tidbits of info you gave:

code:
object-group network DMZ-NAT0-LOCAL-NETS
 network-object X
object-group network DMZ-NAT0-REMOTE-NETS
 network-object X
!
object-group network Serpong_HQ
 network-object X 255.255.0.0
!
nat (dmz,outside) source static DMZ-NAT0-LOCAL-NETS DMZ-NAT0-LOCAL-NETS destination static DMZ-NAT0-REMOTE-NETS DMZ-NAT0-REMOTE-NETS
!
nat (inside,outside) source static MeadowNetwork MeadowNetwork destination static Serpong_HQ Serpong_HQ
!
object network MLP_LN1
 host <MLP_LN1 IP>
 nat (inside,outside) static <MLP_LN2 IP>
!
object network obj-129.129.30.0
 subnet 129.129.30.0 255.255.255.0
 nat (inside,dmz) static 129.129.30.0
!
object network obj-172.16.25.0
 subnet 172.16.25.0 255.255.255.0 
 nat (inside,dmz) static 172.16.25.0
!
object network obj-INSIDE
 subnet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
 nat (inside,outside) dynamic interface
!
Edit: Alternatively you could upgrade the 5505 to a more modern code and let it auto-convert the existing configuration. Just be sure to disable 'nat-control' and add 'no names' to the config before upgrading. Otherwise the auto-convert shits the bed.

:greenangel:

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 16, 2015

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Methanar posted:

Okay this is very helpful.

I don't quite understand these though. Are the capitals and the X placeholders, if so for what?
The X's are placeholders for whatever those networks are as they are defined on your access-list "dmz_nat0_outbound".

'MeadowNetwork' looks to already be defined in an object-group.

'Serpong_HQ' is an unknown from the config snippet you gave since it's a named IP.

Methanar posted:

nat (dmz,outside) source static DMZ-NAT0-LOCAL-NETS DMZ-NAT0-LOCAL-NETS destination static DMZ-NAT0-REMOTE-NETS DMZ-NAT0-REMOTE-NETS
!
nat (inside,outside) source static MeadowNetwork MeadowNetwork destination static Serpong_HQ Serpong_HQ
!

This is how the syntax is to keep the network 'identity' from changing. You can do some serious network masking with it.

nat (real interface,mapped interface) source static <real network or IP> <mapped network or IP> destination static <real remote network or IP> <mapped remote network or IP>

So, you can map your 'real' IP(s) as something else before it is sent to the destination network. Either for VPN or separate interface segment. In your case, you need to keep the network identity of 'dmz local' network when being sent across the VPN? to whatever destination subnet is defined on the NAT0 access-lists.

Methanar posted:

Kind of the same thing here, what are the capitals. Why is MeadowNetwork written twice in a row and what exactly is being sent to/from Serpong.
See previous explanation.

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 16, 2015

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Methanar posted:

Has anyone ever had a problem with an ASA where it will respond to every ARP query and say that he owns the IP address in question.

Because right now I have one that believes it owns every IP address not in 192.168.0.0/16

:laffo: Let me tell you about a story of how 1 ASA took down nearly a whole butt in a data center because of a mis-configured NAT statement.

manual NATs without declaring 'no-proxy-arp' at the end or not disabling it via sysopt is pretty hilarious in certain scenarios.

sysopt noproxyarp <interface>

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Betting it's any of the following lines depending on where 192.168.0.0/16 is actually configured. I couldn't find any references in the config you pasted to that subnet.

nat (inside,any) source static any any destination static obj-172.16.25.0 obj-172.16.25.0
nat (inside,any) source static any any destination static obj-129.129.30.0 obj-129.129.30.0

nat (inside,any) source static any any destination static IPVPNClient IPVPNClient
nat (dmz,outside) source static any any destination static obj-172.16.25.253 obj-172.16.25.253

nat (dmz,dmz) source static any any destination static obj-172.16.25.253 obj-172.16.25.253

Do you know if your ASA needs to proxy arp for anything? Possibly the 129.129.30.0 subnet?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Methanar posted:

That's why it's so bizarre. The ASA has been sitting on my desk for like 4 weeks now and is brand new. It's never been used for real. I've been preparing it to be put into the network but it just absolutely refuses to let anyone else have an address.

Being directly connected to my computer, and a few others just to troubleshoot, is all it's been.

I'm pretty certain it's your NAT lines.

Try turning on sysopt noproxyarp.

conf t
sysopt noproxyarp inside
sysopt noproxyarp dmz
sysopt noproxyarp outside

See if the behavior is still there.

Those 'any any' references on the nats literally mean any address even if not in the config.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Methanar posted:

Shutting off proxy arp fixed the IP conflict issue I was having.

Bad news is I'm stupid and shut it off for every interface and then tried to put it into the network. Since I have multiple publically addressed devices inside my network I must have proxy arp running for the outside interface and possibly the DMZ right?

I broke the whole network for a good 90 minutes before I got everything back together.

Whoops. Yeah I'm used to a shared infrastructure environment that primarily does public > private NAT where public IPs generally don't reside behind the FWs.

Since you have public address space across multiple interfaces you'll want to leave it enabled on those interfaces. A better workaround may be to disable it on the manual NAT lines that have the 'any any' as source and only identity NAT what you need with specific objects / object-groups.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

crunk dork posted:

Anyone have any trouble trying to TFTP an ASDM .bin to an ASA inside of GNS3? Using solarwinds and it pokes along before timing out somewhere in the middle of the transfer with a "no client response" error. ASA has default (blank?) config except for a Gig eth interface configured with an IP address. I have a loopback adapter configured on Win10 and use that as the interface on a 'butt device' in GNS3 to let the solarwinds transfer to the ASA.

Try FTP or SCP.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Reiz posted:

I'm guilty of switchport trunk allowed vlan add x.

But that's the safe way to not wipe everything off the trunk ?

"switchport trunk allowed vlan X" will definitely gently caress up your day if you don't realize what you've done.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Shame on your for using a NetScreen in TYOOL2015

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Cisco certified power cable. Only $49.95!

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Slickdrac posted:

So, Cisco pages aren't entirely clear about this, but can I take an ASA OS (9.1.4 in this case) off a 5525X and drop it onto a 5510 without bricking it?

We've been upgrading our 5510s at work to 9.1(6)10 w/out any issues. Just use the non-smp version and make sure you have 1gig of ram in it.

Also, the ASA-X 8.6 flash bug is the worst when there are hundreds spread across data centers still running that code ver. :gonk:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Since no one mentioned them yet. You can have a look at the Juniper SRX series, the lower end of the spectrum might fall in your price range.

Please no. :gonk: Trying to diagnose any network issues on Junipers is awful. They have a shell you can drop in to but you can't tcpdump data plane traffic. You have to rely on stateless ACL's and export the pcaps. :downs:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Docjowles posted:

I'm about ready to flip out on Rackspace support. I've been trying to get a simple ipsec VPN tunnel set up to them for a week now. Every time they write me to say it's done, I try, and it fails to come up. I spend a bunch of time combing my config for errors and running debug mode. See nothing. Check back with Rackspace: "oh lol sorry did you say you wanted 10.2.2.0/24 tunneled? We just randomly entered some other network that was not mentioned anywhere in the ticket instead. u mad?" I'm on the third iteration of complete dumbass, non-sequitur errors with no end in sight.

How hard is it to copy and paste the subnets I give you into a loving terminal and hit enter?

Can you PM me the ticket number? I can take a look.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
double post

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Docjowles posted:

We finally got it working this morning, but I appreciate the offer. It turns out when I ask them to tunnel a /16, and they configure that as 255.255.255.0 on their side, the proposals don't match. Who would have thought :argh:

Sounds like you're dealing with the U.S. business unit. :sigh: It's a real crapshoot over there.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

tadashi posted:

When I create site-to-site VPNs from my ASA 5510, the tunnel will only become active once I send packets from my side to the remote site. This seams like secure behavior but is there a way to just allow traffic to start passing once the tunnel exists?

My long term worry is that, if I had an ASA just like mine at a remote site and wanted to create a site-to-site VPN between them, how would I initiate traffic if both end wants to initiate the traffic first? Maybe I'm over complicating things.

As already mentioned, if they're both configured then it doesn't matter which side initiates. If you are concerned with making sure the tunnel stays up you could get rid of the idle timer with a group-policy or use an sla monitor to send traffic to an arbitrary address across the tunnel. I usually only see 1-2 packets get dropped while the negotiations occur if the tunnel is not currently established and I generate traffic destined for the remote side.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Oh boy. We have over 7,000 5508's in production effected. :gonk:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

What the unholy gently caress

Dedicated hosting.

They're the new 'low-end' high throughput firewall my company offers to customers since the 5510-5550's are EOL.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

Welp Broadcomm's acquisition of Brocade will eventually solve all your problems. Apparently they're killing off all of their product lines, including the last bits of Vyatta

This makes me beyond happy. I have to deal with their lovely ServerIron ADX's at work all the time. Constant hardware failures and dumbass software bugs.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Sepist posted:

If anyone has the old arrowpoint load balancer (Cisco css) run "show groups", it has a similar easter egg

There was also llama mode for debugging.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Anyone ever run in to link flapping with nexus vPCs to a pair of SRX1400's in link agg before? Only one of the SRX units to the pair of routers is getting the errors/link flaps.

code:
show lacp internal event-history errors | grep Eth
    [102] lacp_utils_is_pc_graceful_conv_disabled(1810): lacp_utils_is_pc_graceful_conv_disabled p_if Ethernet1/23(0x1a016000) p_pc is NULL. Cannot get graceful-conv
    [102] lacp_utils_is_pc_graceful_conv_disabled(1810): lacp_utils_is_pc_graceful_conv_disabled p_if Ethernet1/23(0x1a016000) p_pc is NULL. Cannot get graceful-conv

2) Event:E_DEBUG, length:102, at 907385 usecs after Thu Sep 21 15:10:53 2017
    [102] lacp_mts_send_mcecm_type1_upd(1510): TYPE1 UPDATE lacp_mts_send_mcecm_type1_upd send type1 update

3) Event:E_DEBUG, length:464, at 907250 usecs after Thu Sep 21 15:10:53 2017
    [102] lacp_ac_init_port_channel_member(1717): TYPE1 UPDATE lacp_ac_init_port_channel_member port-channel port-channel25(0x16000018) lacp_mcec_type1_upd_sent=0, p_if->p_pc->lag_id=[(7f, 0-10-db-ff-30-0, 81
, 0, 0), (7f9b, 0-23-4-ee-be-4c, 8019, 0, 0)], p_if->p_pc->mcec_lacp_lag_id_last_sent=[(7f, 0-10-db-ff-30-0, 81, 0, 0), (7f9b, 0-23-4-ee-be-4c, 8019, 0, 0)], p_if->mcec_lacp_lag_id_last_sent=[(7f, 0-10-db-ff-
30-0, 81, 0, 0), (7f9b, 0-23-4-ee-be-4c, 8019, 0, 0)]

4) Event:E_DEBUG, length:101, at 696302 usecs after Thu Sep 21 15:10:53 2017
    [102] lacp_proto_set_lag(2910): TYPE1 UPDATE lacp_proto_set_lag p_pc->lacp_mcec_type1_upd_sent = FALSE

5) Event:E_DEBUG, length:64, at 870202 usecs after Thu Sep 21 15:10:50 2017
    [102] lacp_tlv_add_global_run_data_tlv(749): Unrecognized Type 5

6) Event:E_DEBUG, length:57, at 870200 usecs after Thu Sep 21 15:10:50 2017
    [102] lacp_tlv_add_global_run_data_tlv(749): FALSE failed

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

hanyolo posted:

Are you trying to run LACP between both SRX1400 firewalls? Because SRX reth interfaces do not support LACP between chassis members, since chassis cluster is simply active/passive and uses gARP for failover.

If you're trying to run LACP towards the same SRX though that is supported, handy guide below:

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB22474

It's set up properly like on the right side of the image in the KB article. Two separate vPCs on the Nexus side and a single reth on the SRX side, four 10gig links total. Only node1 has the link flap issues. It's very strange.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Are the vpcs cross chassis? Or do the links on nexus router 0 go to srx node 0 and router 1 goes the node 1?

I'm pretty sure that's what you want. Alternatively just do 4 routed links and eliminate lacp/reth interfaces altogether.

I'll have to double check the infra, pretty sure we do have a JTAC case open(I'm not directly handling the issue). It's one of the thousands of customers my company supports. No infrastructure changes remotely possible. It's a very large financial institute with red tape for days. Posted as a shot in the dark is all, really.

FatCow posted:

Our SRX1400s have all sorts of issues like these. We had to disable BFD to get reconvergence times down. Occasionally they stop forwarding packets between a pair of IPs. Failover times are seemingly random. We had link/stability issues in the past but they seem to be gone now.

And for some reason I'm quoting more SRX to replace the 1400s we have now.

Glad my place isn't the only one having random rear end issues with the 1400's, SRX's in general have some odd issues. :v:

One of my favorites is the code train that ISSU is broken on and you have to bounce both units at the exact same time or all hell breaks loose on a code upgrade.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Have there been any advancements in load-balancing specifically SSL Termination/Offload?

Currently we do around a million connections per/second (not unique connections, as most clients will trigger multiple connections) and around 70-80% of those connections are https. Our loadbalancers are in Direct Return mode as there is no way that I know of without paying $TEXAS money handle all of those connections. Or at least that was the case 5 years ago. As a result we are doing all SSL termination on the servers themselves. Our webservers are running tomcat/nginix and can typically handle around 8,000 cps for http, and around 3,500cps for https Since we have somewhere around 400 webservers and we are projected to grow another 30-40% this year if there were a way to not not have to terminate SSL on the servers themselves that would save us from having to purchase another 100-200 servers, which is a huge amount of money saved.

We've looked into f5 and they claim they can do around 400k SSL cps with their BIG-IP i5800, but I feel that is too low for our peak traffic and I'm afraid of what will happen if we exceed the LBs.

What are other people doing for large amounts of SSL traffic?

Single F5's are not good at SSL TPS, even with their accelerator cards. You'd ideally want to distribute traffic regionally to maximize any sort of SSL TPS. Whether that's multiple regions with F5's or nginx. No single point is going to scale well with SSL TPS.

e: Alternately use a CDN to handle the brunt of SSL and then pipeline the traffic from the CDN to your load balancer to minimize SSL TPS on that.

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 27, 2017

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Our traffic is already Anycast from 4 geographically distinct locales, plus AWS. The million CPS number was just our biggest datacenter.

Yeeeesh that's a lotta traffic.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

If I need a basic router to do NAT for a ~100Mbps internet connection at a remote site and maybe do an IPsec tunnel, is it worth tearing my hair out with a Mikrotik/Ubiquiti box or is the correct answer to just buy an SRX300?

My vote would be Edgerouter lite.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Richard Noggin posted:

That and the inadvertent right click inside a PuTTY session.

This one got me good a few years ago. Managed to do an entire maintenance 2 hours early in about 2 seconds. :v:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

quote:

ERROR: Long VLAN name knob is not enabled, vlan-name >32 char is not allowed.

Had a laugh at this one.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
That rant is very accurate. My company has started deploying them and trying to manage a fleet of them is a nightmare.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
ASAs are great. Fight me.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

MF_James posted:

Cool, yeah I dropped the commands in and they worked but I wasn't sure if it would actually happen.

Then I realized I could set it to use TCP and just cap the traffic and see if it actually is sending logs messages.

I didn't get a lot of sleep last night OK!

Old as poo poo topic but unless you absolutely need to capture every connection to syslog, enable syslog permit host down or that ASA will block all traffic if that syslog server goes down.

E: when sending TCP syslog. Udp doesn't care obvs.

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 22, 2019

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Moey posted:

Keeping the firewall chat going, is everyone doing UTM type stuff from the edge, or maybe something at the client level?

I'm going to replace se old Juniper SRX 240 (6 in total, 3 sites) soon. Trying to decide on going with something other than Juniper.

If you already know SRX I think they do UTM stuff now too.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Tetramin posted:

Yeah I found this out the hard way. That’s such a stupid default setting, especially in an environment that patches servers every week.

"Why does our internet/vpn connectivity always go down when the syslog server patches?!" :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Cool ASA poo poo: upgraded a 5525X to 9.8(2)35 last week and now the ASDM logs are spammed 30 times a second with ICMP logs that are supposedly coming from the next hop for the management interface - a Nexus 9k - which definitely isn't doing any tracking or icmps to this device.

That's pretty old code, might wanna consider something in the 9.12(2) interim train