Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Does anyone have an updated url for this? The OP is just a tad out of date.

https://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I've been using it for a long time now to create/edit firewall rules and so forth.

It still sucks rear end that it requires Java though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

God damnit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm still waiting on my stack of routers from Cisco that has that bad timing part.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Ugh. ASA code upgrades expose the most hosed up bugs. We patched a 5508-X from 9.6.2 to 9.6.3(1) because of the 213 days of uptime drop bug and now every five days or so the drat thing stops receiving EIGRP updates from adjacencies but continues to transmit them. This leaves the site in a weird spot where the router attached to it knows how to send traffic to the ASA's connected networks but the ASA doesn't know what to do with the return traffic other than "0.0.0.0/0 lol".

The solution?

Copy the EIGRP configs, no router eigrp <asn>, paste the configs back in.

Good to know there is a patch for that now, but gently caress what a lovely another bug.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Our marketing team wants to move our website to AWS and said it would be like $300/mo. We have other servers out there and I ran the numbers and it's more like $2 grand a month. Now they're throwing a fit saying IT always ruins their projects and we're why nothing gets done.

Good times :dance:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The problem is that they're blaming all the issues the website has on our infrastructure where the problem is that the website is programmed by loving morons. I wish I knew whose dick they've been sucking not to get fired. Our infrastructure is not the problem and it's like pulling teeth trying to explain that.

Also they insist on full MS SQL on AWS and don't understand why it costs so much and don't even know what RDS is. Argh.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Cisco Web Security authentication has been down since this morning, so my email has been blowing up. Good job Cisco, can't just make it pass through if authentication is down? gently caress.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Cool, CallManager 12 removes support for a specific phone model that we have about 150 of. Says they won't boot at all after upgrading to 12.

Excellent.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

For us it's model 7970 being depreciated that sucks. I don't give a poo poo about support, but they're blocking them from even registering.

But 7940 and 7960 will still work great. All we use phones for is legit phones, not much else.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We typically try to stay current, and yes they're old but they work. It's not like a brand new 8841 is going to give our end users in our manufacturing facility some great new tools. They answer calls, they page overhead. That's it.

poo poo, we have ATA's with analog phones in various places because that's all they need.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Moey posted:

I cannot wait to replace our 8.5 environment....

:mad:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

You should probably wait until the first SU for 12, or until 12.5 anyway. The initial releases are usually bug filled.

Yeah, that's what we typically do. We just upgraded to 11.5 earlier this year and migrated off the Cisco supplied ESX boxes to our main HP ESX boxes. If we go to 12, it won't be until late 2018 or early 2019 and that's if we can budget phone replacements. We just implemented Finesse and Jabber too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The best part is wondering how many phones are going to poo poo themselves after each firmware update.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

VAR did the Call Manager and Unity upgrade (migration, not in-place) last night. Besides the new router not being set for the correct call codec, everything was pretty peachy. A couple snags here and there because the CUCM environment is riddled with circular logic and lovely transform masks, but it got ironed out quick.

The biggest issue was the guy didn't set the Unity 11.5 pin requirements to the same as 8.6, so everybody's pin got wiped. 95% of people use the email function anyway so it wasn't the worst.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with this VAR for doing their due diligence and getting the cutover done in one night with about 1 hour of phone downtime.

Did you go to 11.6(1) or 11.5? Not sure if you use Finesse but 11.6 fixes some issues with Chrome.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

All our call center users love Finesse way more than the old CAD client. gently caress that and Tapilink.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Can someone explain to me like I'm a child what the difference is between regular Cisco licensing and their new "smart licenses". Our Cisco reseller is asking us to setup a new "Smart Account ID" which of course is not your CCID.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's a much better answer than our reseller. Thank you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with Cisco Umbrella compared to Cisco Web Security? Seems Umbrella does everything CWS did, but better.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We're a Cisco Web Security customer and they're EOL'ing it and moving everyone to Umbrella.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

falz posted:

So umbrella is just a renamed opendns?

Yes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You can have an on prem appliance to do AD integration, but it's basically using Umbrella's DNS servers instead of your ISPs, or Googles, or whatever DNS servers you're forwarding to.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah our ASA redirects dns to the DNS servers, which hits umbrella. I tested manual dns resolution and umbrella caught it all.

Point is, my users aren't trying to circumvent it anyway. They just don't want to go to a site and get that full page Microsoft support spam that yells at you through the speakers. Our old filter let that poo poo thought all the time, not even once on umbrella.

Do you put the Umbrella client on laptops? We have like 60 remote users who are morons. Today we use the CWS agent.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

When we replaced our core switch last year (480 ports) we got all ethernet slim cables. loving slick let me tell you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

abigserve posted:

This is a great rack layout

Thank you. This is what it looked like before:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I buy refurbished 7941g phones all the drat time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We get no complaints. As long as they make phone calls and CUCM still supports them, everyone is happy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I get refurbed 7941g's for $25/ea. If I have to throw them all away in a few years no big deal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Most of our phones that break are in our manufacturing plants and people beat the poo poo out of them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My only hassle was upgrading the firmware but I got it to work. The hang up hook yeah is poo poo and I’ve had issues with the stand on phones forever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Elem7 posted:

I have what seems like a dumb question but no one I've asked in person seems to know the answer and nothing obvious came up Googling it. At what point does Cisco actually stop releasing updated firmware versions for a switch?

I ask because my office has still has a number of older switches which according to Cisco are end of life and, by my reading of the EOL announcement, shouldn't of had any new compatible software released for over 2 years. That seems simple enough but when I actually browse through the available downloads for those models there've been a number of compatible iOS releases since then including one just 2 months ago. What gives? Is Cisco just ignoring their own announced plans? Is it just a CYA to let them drop support blame free at a later date and encourage early replacements?

My office is fortunate enough that if we point to network infrastructure and say it's no longer eligible to receive security patches we can get funding to replace it but I'm not sure that's the case and frankly it's otherwise not worth the time to do so since our oldest switches are typically just servicing a few devices at minor outbuildings.

I don't have an answer to your question but we don't give a poo poo if our old switches no longer receive firmware updates. Edge switches/routers? Yes, absolutely. But the 48 port switch in our manufacturing facility that just has phones connected to it? Don't care.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I like those more than like DisplayPort where the users just yank until the cable or port breaks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That developer in India no longer exists.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Those free Meraki MS220-8P switches you get from watching a webinar, how much is the license after 3 years?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks. Not completely terrible but eh.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We replaced 3 ASA's due to that bug. Didn't need smartnet, just that they're under warranty (which is not the same thing as smartnet).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not knowing the web means port 80 on a loving audit would be me calling the auditing company to send over someone who knew what the gently caress.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That makes sense. We use Umbrella which is what I was thinking of.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

This is what I think of when I hear twinax. We used to have this stuff everywhere at work.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/Twinax_Stecker.jpg/278px-Twinax_Stecker.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Our current model desk phones are the 7942g which is 10/100 switch inside. What's the cheapest gig phone that looks similar? 7945?