Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-
Got a friend who runs the CCNA boot camps for BOSON and he told me the latest revision of the CCNA took out most of the ISDN stuff and that it's much easier in general. Definitely study up though JWH, he constantly tells me about people coming in who have worked on the equipment for like 10+ years and totally bombing the test, like only 1 or 2 correct answers.

I just passed my BCMSN exam a week or two ago and there were at least 2 questions that were just flat out wrong. Cisco exams have to be the worst tests ever, from questions that are glaringly wrong to off the wall poo poo that isn't mentioned anywhere in any of the material. Who writes these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-

Ray_ posted:

Oh man, I don't really know a whole bunch about Cisco stuff but my boss just asked for my help "designing" a network for a new school. Here's the break down: One main equipment closet, two wiring closets. They've specified 34 WAPs, 5 switches, and a router. There will be approx 150 drop, so we're going with 48 port switches obviously. This is what I'm thinking as far as the equipment, and it will probably be horribly retarded to you guys:

1x Cisco 2851 with whatever WIC they need
5x Catalyst 2960G-48TC
34x Aironet 1100

The 2851 will sit in the main closet with one of the 2960s connected via one of the FE ports. Two each of the 2960s will be in the other two closets with all four wired into the main closet's 2960 via SFP. The WAPs will be distributed evenly throughout.

Am I missing something here? Should I add in something like a 3750 with 12 SFPs to ac t as a core switch (so it would be 2851->3750->->->->->2960)?

Unless you're getting 34 autonomous AP's you're going to need a WLAN controller also.

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-
Strictly speaking from the limited experience I have, looks good Ray_

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-

inignot posted:

Can any recent test takers comment on the accuracy of this doc on Cisco's site:

http://www.cisco.com/comm/applications/CCSICom/Docs/EXAMSCORESSEPTEMBER2005.pdf

Well for one thing it's out of date and doesn't even list the new exams. That being said, however, the last exam I took was the BCMSN and to pass you needed an 804. In the PDF it lists 804 under CCSI Score and 755 under Cut Score. Not sure exactly what that means because the CCNA listed (the same version I took when I passed it) lists the Cut Score at 849 and the CCSI Score at 902, while to pass you need 849.

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-

jwh posted:

If anybody wants an early PA-8T1-IMA that is possessed by evil spirits, you know who to talk to. I won't be sad to see it go, that's for sure.

If it's free or cheap I'd love to get it. If you're serious jwh, hit me up via aim or icq (profile).

On another note, anyone else get the e-mail for the Cisco 'myspace' thing? Basically a networking site for networkers where you can upload your photos and have a friends list. I signed up :(

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-

jwh posted:

The card is seriously screwy; trust me when I say you don't want it. I think the company is going to try and sell the whole 7206 "as-is", haunted IMA card and all, by tucking it in with a lot of Passport 8600's. I pity the poor bastard that ends up with that IMA card. And the Passports.

What is this Cisco myspace thing you mentioned?

Well if the chasis is good I'd still take it.

http://www.academynetspace.com/

It was made for students/alumni/instructors etc of the Cisco Networking Academy but I suppose anyone could register. It has a nifty little interactive 'browser' that lets you find people by area. Apparently on May 15th they will also be releasing some kind of like Cisco test on the site where people can compete to get the most correct answers and their names will be on some leader board.

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-
Ok so I have my CCNA, making good progress on my CCNP but do not work at all with Cisco gear. I don't even do networking for that matter. So what I want to know is, while I'm on the hunt for a networking job (hopefully at where I currently work) what would you guys recommend as the best way to 'practice' to keep the skills and knowledge relatively fresh in my head?

Ideally I'd like to buy a poo poo ton of equipment (right now I have a 2924xl, 2610xm, 1231ga that I have my home network setup with) and just setup random different networks. Would also like to find some kind of Cisco forum where people ask for help and I could try to help/research/figure out real problems. Anyone know of such a forum or have any other suggestions?

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-

quote:

!
Extended IP access list vlan2
10 permit tcp host 10.18.23.35 host 10.18.22.10 eq 5900
20 permit tcp host 10.18.24.66 host 10.18.22.10 eq 5900
30 permit tcp any host 10.18.22.10 eq ftp-data
40 permit tcp any host 10.18.22.10 eq ftp
50 permit tcp any host 10.18.22.11 eq ftp-data
60 permit tcp any host 10.18.22.11 eq ftp
70 permit tcp any host 10.18.22.10 eq 7022
80 permit udp any host 10.18.22.10 eq domain
90 permit tcp any host 10.18.22.10 eq www
100 permit icmp any host 10.18.22.10
110 permit ip any any (9538 matches)
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.2
description ----Vlan 2 Servers----
encapsulation dot1Q 2
ip address 10.18.22.9 255.255.255.240
ip access-group vlan2 in
ip nat inside
!

For some reason this is just not clicking in my head. Only using FTP on VLAN2 and all the traffic is being identified by the "ip any any" yet I have, what I thought, was the correct statements for FTP above it. If I remove the "ip any any" then I lose any connectivity on the VLAN. Would someone point out the obvious to me as why no entries are being matched except the one.

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-

jwh posted:

Are you sure you don't want "ip access-group vlan2 out" instead of "in"?

40 permit tcp any host 10.18.22.10 eq ftp (16 matches)

Well changing it to out seems to resolve the issue but just confused me. When the ACL on an interface is set to IN does it not compare the INBOUND traffic against it? So if I connected via FTP it would scan my packets prior to hitting the server and match it to the FTP part of the ACL.

Thanks jwh!

karttoon fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 2, 2007

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-
I started reading the Cisco Press books for my CCNP right after my CCNA but as of yet I've only finished my BCMSN, about to take my BCSI. The Cisco Press books were A++ for the CCNP but were utterly terrible when I took the CCNA, so I'd give them a look.

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-
Is there any particular reason "sh int status" just comes up blank? Using IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-JK9S-M), Version 12.3(21), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) on a 2610XM router.

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-

atticus posted:

"sh int status" only works on switch platforms, use "sh ip int bri" instead.

I use sh int status on our routers at work all day. Also, sh ip int bri doesn't include duplex/speed/port type which is what I want. 'sh int <int> status' returns a blank line too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karttoon
Apr 11, 2006
-?-

Tony Montana posted:

On the SmartNet contracts thing, I've got a couple of serial numbers from devices that have valid contracts and I've been logging TAC cases for all sorts of random Cisco poo poo with them and the TAC seems not to care.

Even if the serial is from a router and I log the case about a voice gateway or something, no-one minds. Maybe one day I'll get a knock on my door, I'll open it and a guy in black sunglasses will ask 'are you Tony Montana?' and when I say yes he'll shoot me.

We have about 8 different SmartNet contracts and thousands of devices spread over them. I don't think I've ever been able to find the actual device I'm opening a TAC case for so typically do the same thing and just pick random poo poo to get the ball rolling.