Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Gods but this is a great thread. I hope it goes on forever.

I can produce "pristine and new" posters (as all my entries have always been), but I need some advice from the more skilled hands. What do you do to produce the ratty looking edges on your posters, and the "folds" in them?

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Dang, I was planning a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, too.

Ah, well. For now, there's this:

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

quote:

This is so awesome cos you've completely changed the meaning of the central image.

Misleading pictures is very authentic for this era.

I was watching the movie tonight while working, and happened to glance up just at that moment and thought, "That would make a great monster pose!" ...

Thanks!

There are SO many really good 'shops here, but dang there are some that... heck, people. It's make posters for movies. REAL MOVIES. If you have to RETITLE THE MOVIE to make the *poster* work, it's not a successful job.

quote:

EDIT: I just found a brush that works great, nevermind. Although any other suggestions are still welcome!

Aarrgh! You asked for help on something, found the answer, and then DON'T SHARE THE ANSWER!! Don't be greedy, SHARE, mate! ;)

What brush, and where?

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Thanks, Blair!

You're a prince!

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

quote:

Stradiwari wrote:
(Is my spelling correct?)

No.

And I agree with TorpedoBeetle. "Cruising" is a real movie, but it stars someone ELSE.

The idea is to take REAL MOVIES THAT THEY MADE and to Grindhouse 'em up. Not to make wish fantasy movies.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

quote:

What movie is this?

Besides, I can't imagine a grindhouse-era poster saying "gently caress"....

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

It's already been done, but here's my take:

https://wi.somethingawful.com/29/29aa961e2960b3e84a023dc7f327309ef7b64f9d.jpg

Only posted as a link as this one is possibly NWS (hey, there's a butt in the picture).

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

quote:

Just gotta say... LOVE the bit with the eyes. Nice touch.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Okay, I think I've figured out the "aging" thing --

so here are some posters already submitted, all "aged up." I'd like to know what y'all think.

And this last one was very well preserved, just folded up and stored:

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

quote:

I can't figure out how to do the folded paper effect, could you explain that a little bit please?

They're done with the use of brushes. I did a search for "folded paper brush" and "photoshop" and just downloaded several brushes. A few were pretty good, and some were so so. It's just experimenting to find ones that work for what you're doing. The last one -- Andromeda Strain -- was actually done post-Photoshop by a neat little application called "Pixel Paper" from Twisting Pixels.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

quote:

Apologies if my Italian doesn't make any sense, I just used an online translator...

But WHY???

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

quote:

It's a fake foreign poster. A lot of grindhouse pictures only made money by selling the foreign rights and using flashier posters. I'm pretty sure it fits right in with our little theme here.

But is that the poster we would have seen advertising the grindhouse film? Maybe it's just me, but I tend to think of these as a very American thing -- other countries did their own thing.

quote:

Did I do this right?

I don't think so. Have you actually looked at the posters in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006