Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Crackpipe posted:

Does anyone have the Conet 4 disc collection as a zip to download or torrent? The page linked has them as well over a 100 individual little files that have to be grabbed one at a time.

Not that I'm aware of, but those files are all pretty small (few of them longer than a minute) and all are in 64kps mp3. It doesn't take long at all to download all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Funny Conet Stories:

The Conet project is seriously creepy to listen to, as anyone who's heard their recording of "Swedish Rhapsody" can attest to. So last year on halloween I set up speakers on the front patio and blared CONET to the entire loving neighborhood. Creeped out everybody, even people who had no idea what the hell these noises were. Creeped out parents more than the kids. A couple of Hams who live in the neighborhood knocked on the door, barely containing their laughter, to tell me I'm a twisted sadistic gently caress. I felt so proud.

Also, one time I burned a CD of Conet project samples (picked from the creepiest ones there were) as a sick and twisted prank. The CD started with "You Sexy Thing" by Hot Chocolate, but halfway through the song crossfaded to "The Swedish Rhapsody." I labeled the disc as "Honeymoon Mix" and gave it to my friend Guido as a wedding present, saying it was perfect mood music for sexy time.

It worked, and he simultaneously loved/hated the wicked :iceburn:.

Finally, here's a counting snippet from Sesame Street that shows what former intelligence operatives do when they retire from a job at a Number Station.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qYaArMDA1ZE

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Crackpipe posted:

Does anyone have the Conet 4 disc collection as a zip to download or torrent? The page linked has them as well over a 100 individual little files that have to be grabbed one at a time.

There's a Firefox extension called DownThemAll that may be helpful to you.

I normally use Opera, but I start Firefox when I want to download a bunch of linked files.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

AstroZamboni posted:

Funny Conet Stories:

The Conet project is seriously creepy to listen to, as anyone who's heard their recording of "Swedish Rhapsody" can attest to. So last year on halloween I set up speakers on the front patio and blared CONET to the entire loving neighborhood.
I sent them to my sister-in-law and told her to listen to the whole thing. About halfway through she found herself writing the numbers down subconsciously. Some neighborhood kids were playing nearby and their ball hit the side of her house. She said she fell back in her chair, it scared the poo poo out of her so bad.

quote:

Creeped out everybody, even people who had no idea what the hell these noises were. Creeped out parents more than the kids. A couple of Hams who live in the neighborhood knocked on the door, barely containing their laughter, to tell me I'm a twisted sadistic gently caress. I felt so proud.
Haha, that's awesome.

xcvb
Mar 17, 2007
What exactly is a 'reception report'? And is there any definite way to know where the station you are listening to is located if it doesn't say?

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

xcvb posted:

What exactly is a 'reception report'? And is there any definite way to know where the station you are listening to is located if it doesn't say?
It's a small bit of information you send to a station, usually including

- Date/time you heard the station
- Frequency
- Some tidbits of the broadcast (announcer name, program content, etc.) This proves you actually heard the broadcast
- How strong was the signal (I use a 1-5 scale), did it fade, was there interference?
- What kind of radio/antenna setup do you have?

As mentioned before, many stations will send you cool stuff in return. Almost all stations will send a 'QSL' - a kind of plaque confirming your reception.

If they are in the US, amateur stations must ID themselves every ten minutes and at the end of a communtication. If I'm not mistaken, commercial stations only have to ID at the top of the hour. For the worldwide stations, most will ID on a similar basis. If not, you can usually narrow it down with a worldwide SW schedule.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

im_sorry posted:

We haven't had any luck yet... apparently, if you send them a QSL, it's Crazy Propaganda Jackpot!!!! :w00t: And, if it gets intercepted by South Korea, you get anti-communist propaganda. You can't lose!!

What's a QSL? And where would I send it to? (and what's the frequency for Voice of Korea?)

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

DarkSol posted:

What's a QSL? And where would I send it to? (and what's the frequency for Voice of Korea?)
This explains it best. You send them to the station you heard broadcasting.

Here is their schedule, with frequencies.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Halah posted:

It's a small bit of information you send to a station, usually including

- Date/time you heard the station
- Frequency
- Some tidbits of the broadcast (announcer name, program content, etc.) This proves you actually heard the broadcast
- How strong was the signal (I use a 1-5 scale), did it fade, was there interference?
- What kind of radio/antenna setup do you have?

As mentioned before, many stations will send you cool stuff in return. Almost all stations will send a 'QSL' - a kind of plaque confirming your reception.

If they are in the US, amateur stations must ID themselves every ten minutes and at the end of a communtication. If I'm not mistaken, commercial stations only have to ID at the top of the hour. For the worldwide stations, most will ID on a similar basis. If not, you can usually narrow it down with a worldwide SW schedule.

Some stations will not just send a QSL card, but put you on a mailing list for all sorts of crazy swag. Communist countries are the best about this. The curator of the museum where I work (who happens to be a ham) has a huge collection of insane banners, calenders, etc from commie china. Its keen.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Some stations will not just send a QSL card, but put you on a mailing list for all sorts of crazy swag. Communist countries are the best about this. The curator of the museum where I work (who happens to be a ham) has a huge collection of insane banners, calenders, etc from commie china. Its keen.

Me too. If you write one QSL to Radio China, they send you newsletters and other stuff quite frequently. Radio Taiwan is pretty good too.

I actually have a big collection of Chinese propaganda. My brother worked at a museum and some Chinese ambassadors visited it, and they gave him a bunch of booklets, which he gave to me. One's on "Tibet After it'=s Peaceful Liberation," and another is entitled, "Falun Gong is a Cult." I've got some other less hosed up stuff, like books on Chinese art or tourist destinations.

The stuff I get from Cuba all looks like it was made on an old-style typewriter, except the postcards and Fidel Castro swag (wallet calendars).

A lot of American stations send Bible-related stuff. I've got quite a few Bible study guides from them, and lots of warnings about the upcoming end of the world. I've heard that Radio Iran sends out lots of info on Islam.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

AstroZamboni posted:

Some stations will not just send a QSL card, but put you on a mailing list for all sorts of crazy swag.
Yeah, I pretty much said that, although I didn't go into detail. I've been sticking to North America lately - with this thread I'm gonna have to see what I can get from elsewhere.

Edit: Out of curiosity, and possibly off topic, how many of you guys troll the medium wave (AM) band at night? I'm in South Carolina and I can usually pick up WHO in Des Moines at night. I've heard WBT (Charlotte) in central Ohio before, and they have a crazy nighttime directional signal (you can't hear it about 50 miles west of Charlotte at night.) I can grab WJR out of Detroit all the time.

Edit2: I'm now listening to KDKA, the oldest commercial station in the US (WWV is the oldest non-commercial station.) Woo-hoo!

Halah fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 11, 2007

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Halah posted:

Yeah, I pretty much said that, although I didn't go into detail. I've been sticking to North America lately - with this thread I'm gonna have to see what I can get from elsewhere.

Edit: Out of curiosity, and possibly off topic, how many of you guys troll the medium wave (AM) band at night? I'm in South Carolina and I can usually pick up WHO in Des Moines at night. I've heard WBT (Charlotte) in central Ohio before, and they have a crazy nighttime directional signal (you can't hear it about 50 miles west of Charlotte at night.) I can grab WJR out of Detroit all the time.

Edit2: I'm now listening to KDKA, the oldest commercial station in the US (WWV is the oldest non-commercial station.) Woo-hoo!

When I lived in California (just a little north of San Francisco) I was able to hear KOMO 1000 out of Seattle. Now that I live in the middle of the Puget Sound, I've tried reverse DXing California stations. I can just baaarely get KSRO 1350, but it's very faint with lots of oscillation, and is pretty much unlistenable.

Right now I've got Radio Austria on 13730.

Edit: This thread needs more pictures! Here's a picture of my setup now that I've got my new-old Uniden 210 XLT set up.

I do most of my SW listening on the Yaesu. I mainly use the Grundig for FM except when I drag it out to the kitchen. The tiny silver thing on top of the scanner is made by jWIN and is probably the cheapest SW receiver you can get. It's also a giant pile of crap.

Edit edit: Really good reception of Radio Japan on 13630 RIGHT NOW (6:00 UTC) for anybody who wants to tune in. News right now and then music in a little while I think.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 11, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Halah posted:

Funny you mention that...the other night I was on US 281 between Dallas and San Antonio (near waco) and I heard that station from Des Moines.

EDIT:
I can just barely pick up 13630 Radio Japan from dallas with a crap $10 makeshift long speaker wire antenna. Also hi S350 buddie!

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 11, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

I'll have to try to catch that tomorrow. That's 7 AM, local time, so I'll just have to get up a few minutes earlier than usual and listen before I go to work. I just installed a 50 foot windowframe wire wrap in a southeast-facing window of my bedroom which is perfect for picking up Cuba.

Holy poo poo, did I ever have a brain fart and miscalculate the local time on THAT one.

What the hell was I thinking? 2 PM, not 7 am. :saddowns:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
My radio came in today! I threw a 20-foot wire up on my roof, and have so far heard some a Chinese-language station, Radio Nacional de Venezuela, and a crapton of crazy preachers. Today they were talking about Jewish people, "ay-rabs," and B-12 complexes.

I've spent the last half hour or so switching around between Radio Vilnius, Chinese news, and whatever else I can find. Thanks for this thread!

I'll throw this in as an edit, to avoid crapping up this thread with my inanities. I have yet to find a single station that is improved by using SSB. It seems as though SSB just makes voices robotic and hard to understand, no matter how much I fine-tune.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 12, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

My radio came in today! I threw a 20-foot wire up on my roof, and have so far heard some a Chinese-language station, Radio Nacional de Venezuela, and a crapton of crazy preachers. Today they were talking about Jewish people, "ay-rabs," and B-12 complexes.

I've spent the last half hour or so switching around between Radio Vilnius, Chinese news, and whatever else I can find. Thanks for this thread!

Surf the dial just after sunset, and later on in the evenings. It's wonderful!

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

I went out and got an E5 today! So much better than my old radio. Thanks for the recommendation, AstroZamboni.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'll throw this in as an edit, to avoid crapping up this thread with my inanities. I have yet to find a single station that is improved by using SSB. It seems as though SSB just makes voices robotic and hard to understand, no matter how much I fine-tune.

That's because the stations you are trying to listen to aren't braodcasting in SSB.

This misconception popped up in the last Number station/SW thread and I tried to address it in the OP, but here goes.

Most SW stations transmit in AM (amplitude modulation) mode, just like your local AM frequencies only at defferent wavelengths/frequencies. SSB, however, is a completely different type of signal modulation. An SSB circuit isn't used for "improving" AM transmissions, its used for tuning into completely different types of transmissions. SSB modulation is used by Ham operators, aeronautical/maritime transmissions, other types of two-way transmissions and morse code. Additionally, MANY number stations transmit in SSB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_sideband
The above article gets a bit technical, but helps explain how SSB works.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

SSB doesn't do anything to regular broadcasts, it allows you to hear SSB broadcasts. Sometimes they sound like the adults from Peanuts cartoons like Zamboni said, sometimes you can barely even tell they're there without using SSB. If your radio covers it, try tuning around 4MHz in the evening and you'll probably find some HAMs. Then switch SSB on and off and you'll see how it works.

Edit: :argh: Beaten while typing!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I guess I should have been more specific/less retarded. I knew SSB didn't improve AM broadcasts. Thanks for the clarification!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Dog Case posted:

SSB doesn't do anything to regular broadcasts, it allows you to hear SSB broadcasts. Sometimes they sound like the adults from Peanuts cartoons like Zamboni said, sometimes you can barely even tell they're there without using SSB. If your radio covers it, try tuning around 4MHz in the evening and you'll probably find some HAMs. Then switch SSB on and off and you'll see how it works.

Edit: :argh: Beaten while typing!

Speaking of which I tonight I heard a transmission in spanish on LSB, while morse code was flying by at a dizzying rate on USB.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

I'm currently listening to ESPN radio on 380 khz. Longwave? What the hell? It's coming in clear as a bell, too. I can't find anything on Google about what station this is and they haven't ID'ed yet.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Halah posted:

I'm currently listening to ESPN radio on 380 khz. Longwave? What the hell? It's coming in clear as a bell, too. I can't find anything on Google about what station this is and they haven't ID'ed yet.

Is it USB? It might be the Armed Forces Radio and Television Service. They broadcast network news and sports, but I don't know if they'd broadcast on anything other than SW.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Dog Case posted:

Is it USB? It might be the Armed Forces Radio and Television Service. They broadcast network news and sports, but I don't know if they'd broadcast on anything other than SW.
Nah, I think I figured it out. I'm listening to 380, there's a local AM station on 1280 - WANS. Maybe I found a harmonic?

Edit: They just ID'ed, it is WANS, Anderson, SC.

Halah fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 13, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Halah posted:

I found a local sports radio station transmitting on 160 kHz. Think this is probably a birdie too? The regular station broadcasts on 1060. I'm not terribly familiar with the topic of birdies, so if anyone can help out on this topic I'd appreciate it.

Edited for CORRECT frequency.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 12, 2007

hudibrastic
Aug 20, 2003

Dog Case posted:

And to tie the SSB and ESPN Radio questions together: AFRTS is pretty much the only major commercial shortwave broadcaster that uses SSB.

Their frequencies and transmitters are listed here: http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/radio/shortwave/

Program guide: http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/radio/afn/schedule.asp

The bad news is that AFRTS SW broadcasts can be very weak and hard to receive, especially from the United States. If you live in the Far East or Pacific you might have better luck. Have fun.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
I've been working on aligning a military R-392 on and off for a few months. I don't think it has SSB but it's the coolest jeep mounted 60 pound boatanchor ever. 20 some tubes, operates on 28 volts and covers 500k through 32 MHz. Not as good as a R-390/A but they don't come in olive drab with nifty carry handles. Just for kicks, I set up a military whip antenna on the top of my shed. The farthest I've picked up is Cuba just after dark. I'll probably wait till fall or winter rolls around again to get back into it. Good hobby though.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

AstroZamboni posted:

Crazy Story #2:

The existence of this freaky station was independently verified by other goons during the last Number Station thread (which pushed me to stop lurking after five years and finally get a loving account).

On some nights, if you turn to 5915 kHz you can hear bird calls. The odd thing is it is only a short (five or six seconds) loop of bird calls repeated over and over and over for TWO FREAKIN' HOURS. It starts at the top of an hour, runs for two hours, shuts off. What is even weirder is that the bird calls are used to cover up an RTTY (radio teletype) or Databurst transmission in the lower sideband.

This is one of the spookier stations I've run across, and I haven't yet found an explanation for it.

Apologies for the poor quality, but would it happen to sound like this?

http://muddledones.com/Recording3.wav

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Apologies for the poor quality, but would it happen to sound like this?

http://muddledones.com/Recording3.wav

HOLY loving poo poo, YES! Where did you find this? Did you record it?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I just stumbled across it around 2235 today at 11800 khz. I listened for about 5 minutes or so and then it cut out and went to Cuban programming that I couldn't understand. I recorded it with my Pocket PC. I need some sort of line recorder for times like that.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

AstroZamboni posted:

I found a local sports radio station transmitting on 160 kHz. Think this is probably a birdie too? The regular station broadcasts on 1060. I'm not terribly familiar with the topic of birdies, so if anyone can help out on this topic I'd appreciate it.

Edited for CORRECT frequency.
Sorry, I just realized I used an incorrect term. It was actually a harmonic. To answer your question, though, ever have your scanner stop on a frequency that has no signal? That's a birdie. Every radio has a few, it has something to do with the guts of the radio causing some interference.

Harmonics are basically a multiple of a certain frequency. Your signals and mine were off by 900 khz each, so I think you probably found a harmonic as well. Edit: The station I heard has its towers about a half mile from my place. Do you happen to know where your station's towers are? It may be that my close proximity to the towers played a part.

Halah fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 13, 2007

owenkun
Feb 26, 2007

The scent of strawberry milk.
A few days ago I was informed that my duties at work would be changed and, for once, I'd be able to listen to music throughout the day over headphones.

I've got a few random tracks saved on my hard drive at work, so I loaded Media Player and queued the whole folder. After it had loaded I went back to work and thought nothing of it, rocking out to whatever crap I had on hand.

So I'm in the midst of filling out a spreadsheet and GONG BONG BING BONG EINS ZWEI READY READY

:cry:

Holy poo poo, I'd totally forgotten I'd saved those Conet Project tracks from last time. Jesus Christ, I just about had to order a new chair and change of pants.

Dog Case posted:

I don't know much about radios, but that's a beautiful piece of equipment.

owenkun fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 13, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I just stumbled across it around 2235 today at 11800 khz. I listened for about 5 minutes or so and then it cut out and went to Cuban programming that I couldn't understand. I recorded it with my Pocket PC. I need some sort of line recorder for times like that.

Cool. I wonder if this might be an interval signal of some kind to hold a station on the air without broadcasting dead air in order to keep anyone else from broadcasting on a frequency you want to hold?

owenkun posted:

So I'm in the midst of filling out a spreadsheet and GONG BONG BING BONG EINS ZWEI READY READY

:cry:

Holy poo poo, I'd totally forgotten I'd saved those Conet Project tracks from last time. Jesus Christ, I just about had to order a new chair and change of pants.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! That's loving beautiful. That's happened to me with my iPod, too.

One time I spent an entire week listening to CONET as I fell asleep at night. I think I might have caused permanent damage to my sanity.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

AstroZamboni posted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! That's loving beautiful. That's happened to me with my iPod, too.

One time I spent an entire week listening to CONET as I fell asleep at night. I think I might have caused permanent damage to my sanity.
My wife HATES the Conet project. She also works on the road and lives out of hotels most of the year. A couple nights ago I cut out a juicy part of Swedish Rhapsody and made it a ringtone, then sent it to her phone. At 3AM. I'm gonna get my rear end kicked the next time she comes home, but it was funny.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh you bastards. Just what I needed, one more dorky hobby for my wife to make fun of me. I just ordered an E5. I bought a house this year, so I can actually do a decent wire antenna for it; I figure just run a length of wire out the doors on our balcony and around the rain gutters.

AstroZamboni posted:

How do you normally do a reception report? In this day and age of high tech, can you do them via email or do you have to send letters/postcards?

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 13, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Halah posted:

My wife HATES the Conet project. She also works on the road and lives out of hotels most of the year. A couple nights ago I cut out a juicy part of Swedish Rhapsody and made it a ringtone, then sent it to her phone. At 3AM. I'm gonna get my rear end kicked the next time she comes home, but it was funny.

You are one magnificent bastard.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh you bastards. Just what I needed, one more dorky hobby for my wife to make fun of me. I just ordered an E5. I bought a house this year, so I can actually do a decent wire antenna for it; I figure just run a length of wire out the doors on our balcony and around the rain gutters.
I have 30 feet of wire seven feet in the air running from the spare bedroom, across the living room, through the kitchen and clipped onto the back door. Yeah, I'm going to have to take that down before the wifey comes home :)

Edit: Don't know if I need to tell you this, but if it's outside make sure it's grounded really well.

quote:

How do you normally do a reception report? In this day and age of high tech, can you do them via email or do you have to send letters/postcards?
It depends on the station. Some have a website you can fill out. I sent a QSL via email to China last night to see if that would work. I usually send a letter with some local swag (postcards, etc.) and return postage.

AstroZamboni posted:

You are one magnificent bastard.
I'll send it to you if you want. You don't have plat, but you can email me at halah34@gmail with your number.

Halah fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 13, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Halah posted:

I'll send it to you if you want. You don't have plat, but you can email me at halah34@gmail with your number.

Wouldn't do me any good, as I don't currently have a cell phone. However, I do have software for making CONET ringtones should I get one at some future date.

Thanks though!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Halah posted:

I have 30 feet of wire seven feet in the air running from the spare bedroom, across the living room, through the kitchen and clipped onto the back door. Yeah, I'm going to have to take that down before the wifey comes home :)

Edit: Don't know if I need to tell you this, but if it's outside make sure it's grounded really well.

Good idea on the grounding, I didn't really think of it. I'll be sure to splice part of it down to a water pipe or something.

Also, which works better: running a long line around the house, or doing loops around a windowframe? Or a combo of both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Also, which works better: running a long line around the house, or doing loops around a windowframe? Or a combo of both?
Probably the latter. The electrical crap in your house causes a lot of interference. I had a lot of trouble recording from mine because every time I plugged it into the computer it'd just go to static. Of course, my radio is cheap and 30 years old; your mileage may vary.

Recordings:
It's numbers, and it's en Espanol.

Another one, sounds like the regular SW with SSB stepping on it.

Also the weird morse code and same in crazy techno mode.

• Locked thread