Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AstroZamboni posted:

You will enjoy many sleepless nights, and the days after these sleepless nights you will rue the day this thread came to be. Welcome to the party!

Jesus, can we get a roll call of everyone who bought a radio because they were inspired by this thread? Be sure to post what radio you bought and how much you spent on it. I want to add stats on monetary drain caused by this thread to the OP.

Bought an e5, 100' of speaker wire, and the Passport to World Band Radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Okay, monetary drain stats added to the OP. Frightening, actually. Looking at the numbers I'm stunned that this happened.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AstroZamboni posted:

Okay, monetary drain stats added to the OP. Frightening, actually. Looking at the numbers I'm stunned that this happened.

I bet the actual numbers are higher than that too -- but people either don't want to admit they got sucked in, or went and bought something and then never checked back in.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

I bet the actual numbers are higher than that too -- but people either don't want to admit they got sucked in, or went and bought something and then never checked back in.

Yikes.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I just bought Passport to World Band Radio too.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
The monetary drain figure does not include my Grundig Satellit 700 or Panasonic RF-1150, purchased for a total of 60. Although once I actually get around to buying an antenna that will surely increase.

The contact on the Satellit is loose so it loses power sometimes. I am thinking of taking it in to get some soldering done to correct that, since I don't want to do the job myself and risk losing it. I am also still trying to locate a manual.

edit: Oh, I get it. The financial drain is for radios purchased as a result of reading this thread. We should have someone with archives access go back through our several dozen SW threads and total the amount that goons have spent due to them. I know in every thread there are at least 4 goons who buy decent radios. Hell, I bought mine because of one of the old SW threads.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
I bought Passport to World Band radio, World Radio TV Handbook and The ARRL Antenna Book about 4 months ago. I got a good deal on the ARRL book since the cover is creased and the CD is smashed. Way to go warehouse handling (I hate the bastards in the dairy warehouse for smashing my eggs all the time). I have to get around to reading these sometime. I've been reading Old Time Radios! on and off for the last 8 months. Anything remotely technical puts me right off to sleep after 3 pages.

I refuse to look at any of the new digital radios for fear of wanting one and further increasing my debt. Besides, I'd probably buy one, listen to it for like a couple weeks tops then move onto something else.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Well my wire and antenna connectors and such ran me $10, I was already planning on buying my Yaesu (as in before this thread), and have been saving for it for a couple months, but if you want to count it it was $300.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

AstroZamboni posted:

Just dropped another $105 for a Sony AN-LP1 antenna off of eBay.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
I was poking around a pawn shop today during lunch and there was a Grundig S350DL for 40 dollars, I said what the hell and got it. After getting home and starting to read reviews online it seems I got a really expensive AM radio that will never get anything interesting. Any rays of hope or are the negative reviews pretty much spot on?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

4outof5 posted:

I was poking around a pawn shop today during lunch and there was a Grundig S350DL for 40 dollars, I said what the hell and got it. After getting home and starting to read reviews online it seems I got a really expensive AM radio that will never get anything interesting. Any rays of hope or are the negative reviews pretty much spot on?

Hey, no matter what a review says, just give it a spin and see what comes up. You may be surprised!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

4outof5 posted:

I ordered the S350DL online and paid $40. It got here and turned out to be a S350 (sans DL), you can pickup some decent stuff with it outside at night. Have fun with it, it was probably worth the $40.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

4outof5 posted:

S350DL actually has very good sound quality and sensitivity, and it has the frequency lock feature (which the S350 standard lacks). It should actually be a pretty good radio, from my experience.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

blugu64 posted:

I ordered the S350DL online and paid $40. It got here and turned out to be a S350 (sans DL), you can pickup some decent stuff with it outside at night. Have fun with it, it was probably worth the $40.
Yeah, for $40 I don't think you can go wrong. Slap a big-assed antenna on that puppy and have fun!

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

I just thought of something. I have the Gordon West General class upgrade study CD. One of the tracks discusses (with examples) the different pops and hisses you hear on the SW frequencies (lightning, electricity, flourescent bulbs, etc.) Would it be :filez: to share short examples of each sound? I'll ask a mod, it might be helpful to people new to the waves.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Halah posted:

I just thought of something. I have the Gordon West General class upgrade study CD. One of the tracks discusses (with examples) the different pops and hisses you hear on the SW frequencies (lightning, electricity, flourescent bulbs, etc.) Would it be :filez: to share short examples of each sound? I'll ask a mod, it might be helpful to people new to the waves.

This would be very interesting to hear. I hope you can post them!

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

What should I do for an antenna? I live in an apartment, but it's an on-campus one, and I don't think housing would particularly like it if I strung wire everywhere and hit me with a potential fire hazard violation bs deal. Anything that could be nice and neat?

(I decided to go with the Eton E5, just because I can go down to the Circuit City and look at one hands on. But not until the weekend, because that's when I get paid!)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

DarkSol posted:

What should I do for an antenna? I live in an apartment, but it's an on-campus one, and I don't think housing would particularly like it if I strung wire everywhere and hit me with a potential fire hazard violation bs deal. Anything that could be nice and neat?

(I decided to go with the Eton E5, just because I can go down to the Circuit City and look at one hands on. But not until the weekend, because that's when I get paid!)

I also live in an apartment. If you don't mind getting your nerd on, I just go outside to the pool area and tune up, that or the wire looped around a window trick works pretty well I hear.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

DarkSol posted:

Oddly enough, Bed Bath and Beyond sometimes has good sales on Eton radios. Might be worth checking out.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

AstroZamboni posted:

Oddly enough, Bed Bath and Beyond sometimes has good sales on Eton radios. Might be worth checking out.

Bed, Bath and Beyond? You have to be joking! Or is that part of the "Beyond" part?

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Ok stupid question number two, what works best for an in window wire antenna. any particular length or pattern (square, triangle, circle, swirl, braid, etc.)?

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

4outof5 posted:

Ok stupid question number two, what works best for an in window wire antenna. any particular length or pattern (square, triangle, circle, swirl, braid, etc.)?
Longer is better. I added some phone wire to mine, so it's running around 60 feet. For a window, a square (rectangle, I guess) would be best.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Kinda hoping to get an Eton E5 for my birthday in two weeks, but there's only one for sale in the Radio Shacks The Source by Circuit City stores in my province. :(

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Holy hell, what's all that noise I'm hearing?!? Most of the time it's normal radio white noise, but shortwave is very prone to interference. Sometimes the interference can block a signal completely, and possibly frustrate a new listener. With the aid of Gordon West's ham CD's I can share some common noises and maybe help cure them (I got mod approval for this post.)

• This one applies more to hams operating HF mobile, but if you do happen to get shortwave working in your car, your alternator can cause problems, especially if it's going bad.

• Do you have flourescent lights in your vicinity? Turn them off while listening and you might solve this problem.

• This one is a thorn in my side here in the South. Lightning is a curse for listening all the way up into the AM band in the summer down here with our pop-up thunderstorms. Not much you can do there.

• Powerlines, especially the big ones up on those tall metal towers can cause reception issues. Moving away from them or waiting for a rain to wash off the insulators may help some of the issues.

• I've never run into this one, but refrigeration units on RV's can cause problems.

• Touch lamps, fans, even thermostats can cause interference. Unfortunately, all you can do is turn things on and off to see what's the offending device.

In addition, locating your receiver near a monitor or TV will impair reception.
(minor spelling edit.)

Halah fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 15, 2007

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
I heard a guy had good reception by running a folded wire antenna in his attic. Basically a big square shaped length of wire up as high as you can get it seems to work ok. An old Army manual from the 50's says if you are going to run a wire up a tree, dead trees work best.

I'd try running a length of wire around the top of your walls near the ceiling of your room. You can experiment with the number of turns and total length. It's worth a shot.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Halah posted:

Holy hell, what's all that noise I'm hearing?!? Most of the time it's normal radio white noise, but shortwave is very prone to interference. Sometimes the interference can block a signal completely, and possibly frustrate a new listener. With the aid of Gordon West's ham CD's I can share some common noises and maybe help cure them (I got mod approval for this post.)

• This one applies more to hams operating HF mobile, but if you do happen to get shortwave working in your car, your alternator can cause problems, especially if it's going bad.

• Do you have flourescent lights in your vicinity? Turn them off while listening and you might solve this problem.

• This one is a thorn in my side here in the South. Lightning is a curse for listening all the way up into the AM band in the summer down here with our pop-up thunderstorms. Not much you can do there.

• Powerlines, especially the big ones up on those tall metal towers can cause reception issues. Moving away from them or wating for a rain to wash off the insulators may halp some of the issues.

• I've never run into this one, but refrigeration units on RV's can cause problems.

• Touch lamps, fans, even thermostats can cause interference. Unfortuneately, all you can do is turn things on and off to see what's the offending device.

Exceedingly cool. Thanks! I've got a problem with my CFL lighting that I need to turn off all the time.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Halah posted:

• Powerlines, especially the big ones up on those tall metal towers can cause reception issues. Moving away from them or wating for a rain to wash off the insulators may halp some of the issues.

• Touch lamps, fans, even thermostats can cause interference. Unfortuneately, all you can do is turn things on and off to see what's the offending device.

Totally awesome. Do you mind if I add this to the OP?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

DarkSol posted:

Bed, Bath and Beyond? You have to be joking! Or is that part of the "Beyond" part?

Indeed. I was rather stunned when I went there to buy towels and found SW receivers. Bizarre.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

AstroZamboni posted:

Totally awesome. Do you mind if I add this to the OP?
Go right ahead. Earwicker told me to keep the samples under 45 seconds (OK, one is 46 seconds) so it's all cool. Edit: Do me a favor and use the edited post if you can. I had some horrendous spelling errors :)

Halah fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 15, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Halah posted:

Go right ahead. Earwicker told me to keep the samples under 45 seconds (OK, one is 46 seconds) so it's all cool. Edit: Do me a favor and use the edited post if you can. I had some horrendous spelling errors :)

Which CD was this? It sounds like it could be a pretty good resource.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Hah, good old WB6NOA. Sometime I heard Gordo transmitting on one of the repeater nets I used to listen to.

I picked up a Sony 7600 at the Ham Radio Outlet on the way home from work today. The receiver I've been using hasn't aged too well so I figured I'd try this one out. Hoping RHC will come in clearer with my new setup. It's sad, but one of the main reasons I'm looking to move into a house is so I can drape antennas all over the loving place. :(

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Oh my god, I can't believe I'm actually thinking about taking this. You guys make it sound so interesting and fun...

Sorry for the stupid question, but I live in Hawaii and I'm wondering how this would affect reception. Would I be able to hear things differently because I'm in the middle of loving nowhere? I'm checking google right now.

Everything you guys have posted in this thread sounds neato, and this would be a good excuse to drive way out into the boonies every once and a while.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

blugu64 posted:

Which CD was this? It sounds like it could be a pretty good resource.
I'm a ham and I'm studying for the General class license. It's a 4-CD set by Gordon West, WB6NOA. There are some pretty interesting things on these CD's, as well as some pretty dry material. They can be found on EBay or Amazon. Edit: I had to provide proof of a ham license before purchase.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Aqua Bear posted:

Oh my god, I can't believe I'm actually thinking about taking this. You guys make it sound so interesting and fun...

Sorry for the stupid question, but I live in Hawaii and I'm wondering how this would affect reception. Would I be able to hear things differently because I'm in the middle of loving nowhere? I'm checking google right now.

Everything you guys have posted in this thread sounds neato, and this would be a good excuse to drive way out into the boonies every once and a while.
Water does strange things for propagation. You might be pleased with what you can pick up. And driving out into nowhere is never a bad thing, be it for radio or for the sheer hell of it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I picked up radio Taiwan for about a minute last night -- not enough for a QSL card, as I only managed to hear half of the schedule and frequencies announcement, but cool nonetheless. Missed the current frequency in the list, though, so I don't know which broadcast it was.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Anyone use the softrock40 rxtx or lite? It seems like a fairly decent setup for 30-60$. It is a SDR radio and has fairly decent support for most of the ham SDR software packages out there.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
After digging around the internet all night I came across something kind of interesting for people with non ssb shortwaves or for people who want to buy sub-100 dollar tuners and hear some of the interesting stuff.

http://radio.tentec.com/kits/Fun

Scroll down to the "Universal BFO" :siren: $11.00 :siren:

quote:

Got an old (or very new) AM only shortwave radio with no CW-SSB capability? If you want to enjoy casual CW-SSB reception, this varactor-tuned 455 kHz oscillator may be built into larger receivers or else mounted in its own case and placed near your portable SWL radio. The on board tuning control compensates for alignment variations from one receiver to another in addition to permitting fine-tuning of SSB/CW signals. Operates on 6 to 15 VDC. We recommend (undrilled, no holes) enclosure TPx-13 for this item. Order TP-13 for unpainted aluminum, TPB-13 for black, TPC-13 for charcoal.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

ValhallaSmith posted:

Anyone use the softrock40 rxtx or lite? It seems like a fairly decent setup for 30-60$. It is a SDR radio and has fairly decent support for most of the ham SDR software packages out there.

No but I'm intensely curious. Buy it and post about it?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Aqua Bear posted:

Actually, Hawaii means your well placed for receiving broadcasts from both the continental US and Asia. You should be able to hear all kinds of interesting poo poo.

Haydez posted:

I picked up a Sony 7600 at the Ham Radio Outlet on the way home from work today. The receiver I've been using hasn't aged too well so I figured I'd try this one out. Hoping RHC will come in clearer with my new setup. It's sad, but one of the main reasons I'm looking to move into a house is so I can drape antennas all over the loving place. :(

How much did you spend on it? I can update the stats in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
This thread inspired me to grab my Sony 7600GR and give it a shot.

I had always meant to use it for listening for SW, but I hadn't tried it in a year and a half. It's a kick-rear end AM/FM radio though and I use it daily. :)

Picked up Voice of Russia(?), a BBC Morning in Africa program, and some Chinese program. Very cool.

• Locked thread