Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

No shortwave radio, but I do have a pro-2040 scanner. It's fun to scan random freqs late at night and see what you can come up with. My dad has a ton of radios he buys at garage sales, I'll have to look through them this week and see if there are any decent shortwave ones in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I don't know if we're allowed to talk about scanners in here also, but this thread sparked my interest in radio again and now I think I'll be buying a pro-97 in a couple days. I heard it will be on sale for $150 starting sunday, which is just in my price range.

finally I can dump my old pro-2040. :)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Turns out whoever told me the Pro-97 scanner would be on sale today was right. I went down to radioshack and picked one up an hour ago.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102425&cp=&kw=20-527&parentPage=search

This thing is ten times more confusing to program than my pro-2040 was. I guess I'll have to learn all about trunked systems and stuff now.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Finally got a shortwafe radio. Went garage sale'in today and found a General Electric P1985A am/fm/sw ("world monitor"). I gave them a dollar for it.

I can't really find anything about this radio so I don't know if it's crap or not. I would assume it's from 1985. Decent condition, though it looks like it's been kept in a garage since the 80s. Tuning knob is loose, but everything seems to work fine.

edit: just found a headphone jack under the battery cover ( :confused: ), now I can record stuff. :)
edit2: or maybe not. The second I plug anything into it, all I can get is static.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 22, 2008

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Really the only cool thing about it is the ability to record what you hear.
Yeah, that seems to be the main point of the mp3 storage.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Anyone have any opinions on the Grundig S350 (Amazon link)? I got a gift card to Cabella's that I need to spend and I was looking at that one. They also sell the Grundig G6 for the same price. I'm having trouble deciding which one to get, or if they're both rubbish and I should just spend the money on something else.

It will mainly be a desk radio, so the portability of the G6 isn't really a factor.

The 350 lacks "Dual-conversion" and SSB. To be honest, I don't know much at all about those things so I don't know how big of a factor they are for a recreational listener.

I really like how the 350 looks. Maybe I just subconsciously think that "bigger + more knobs = BETTER!"

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I had a different experience. I got a crappy SW radio at a garage sale (I posted about it) last year. I could pick up quite a few stations just using the stock antenna. When I moved in to my dorm, I couldn't pick up ANYTHING at all on it. I'd guess it was all the florescent lighting.

That's not to say a good antenna isn't worth it (I'm still looking to buy or make one). You just have to realize that there are so many factors that affect signal quality it's ridiculous.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up my G6 today. Man, this thing is tiny.

For some reason I got the regular version instead of the Aviator edition like the website said. :(

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's going right now. There's a telephone ringing with a lady reading off spanish numbers over it.

My first numbers station :3:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

Nooooooo! This loving sucks! The reason I bought a SW radio was so that I could pick up numbers stations and now everyone is in on one excpet me because I have to work.

gently caress this world. :smithicide:

I might try to get a recording of it this weekend. I would have last night but I could barely receive it at all. I had to walk around my room holding my G6 at the ceiling. Hopefully when I'm in a different house it will be better.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

For those interested, the numbers station is on 5880Khz again right now. It's been going for 35 minutes already.

I'll post a clip of it tomorrow, although I'm sure there's already many online.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 19, 2009

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

When I run an audio cable between my computer's mic input and my G6's headphone output, it creates all kinds of interference. Would buying a different type of audio cable fix this? I don't know much about shielded cables and whatnot.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Illegal Clown posted:

You're putting it in the wrong spot. The audio input would be a black jack on the back of the computer, not the mic. I had the same problem with my laptop, which only had the mic input. The desktop has the one in the back though.

Ah, thanks. I am on a laptop with only a mic input, so I guess I'm screwed unless I get a USB sound card or something.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

Another good option is a hard drive based iPod (5th generation or newer) with an adapter for line in recording. It will throw off a lot less RF interference than a whole computer will, and yo can just transfer the file over later.

Yeah, I use my Cowon X5 for that and it works pretty well. The reason I want to use my PC is because I can use a program to back-buffer the recording constantly. What I do with my scanner is run it through my PC all the time and when something interesting happens, I can hit record and it will have already included the last 60 seconds in the file.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

sellout.woot.com has a $30 eton hand-crank radio up today that does AM/FM/SW.

Looks like it retails for 35-45 elsewhere, so it's not the greatest deal. It's got some bad reviews but mostly from people bitching that it won't charge their iphone/other proprietary device.

I've never used one but it doesn't look like it would be that bad for a camping radio or as backup when the power goes out. Mainly it's an excuse to bump this thread, though. :)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

wolrah posted:

What was this? It's been killed by the user.

A box that outputs a numbers station voice.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Miracle posted:

So I've got this radio, and I'd like to know if it's a short wave radio.

Shortwave is defined as 3MHz to 30MHz, or 10-100 meters. Looks like your "secondary wavelength" dial has numbers that fall in that range, so it should be able to receive shortwave freqs.

However, if you're just wanting to use it for listening and don't have any interest in collecting antique radios, I'd sell that thing and buy a G6 or something for <$100 that will be much easier to use.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BigHustle posted:

Unfortunately, if you're in the US any radio or scanner made after 1994 has those frequencies blocked along with any frequencies used for the old analog cellular phones.

It's actually unnecessary these days since analog cellular service isn't active any longer and most cordless phones are using digital spread spectrum to prevent eavesdropping.

Up until a few years ago, I could usually find a 900Mhz phone call within a couple minutes with my scanner. I haven't tried recently but so many people are doing away with their landlines now, and I don't think you can even buy 900MHz phones anymore.

As a kid in the early 2000s there was usually two or three calls I could pick up at any given time in the 900MHz range. I'd listen to them quite a bit and started recording the "good" ones. The voyeurism aspect of scanners was actually what got me into radio in the first place. As I got older it started to feel a little creepy so I stopped.

The oddest one I ever heard was a woman who apparently had a stroke while she was on the phone.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dog Case posted:

Haven't really been able to do much listening for a while. Just popping in to say I've continued to find awesome stuff at the thrift store for super cheap.

$10:

Nice find. I shop thrift stores and garage sales all the time and the only shortwave radios I've found are a couple old analog ones from the 80s.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dog Case posted:

Not shortwave at all but none of my friends care and I want to tell SOMEBODY.

I found a Tivoli Model One at the thrift store for $9. It's the Platinum Edition which means it costs $50 more because it's ~~Really Shiny~~.
The tuning was awful and loud so I opened it up to clean the tuner and discovered that all four posts that the screws that hold it together thread into were snapped off. Also there were a bunch of dried out broken rubber bands inside.
So I cleaned the tuner and found some long screws that would reach the now shorter posts and put it back together and it sounds GREAT.

But yeah a $200 radio is held together with rubber bands.

That's a pretty sweet deal. I actually really like all those tabletop "high-end" radios made to look vintage that started popping up last decade.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Account_Username posted:

Is the list of recommended radios in the OP still accurate? Also what stores still carry shortwave radios? I checked at Best Buy, Target, and Bed Bath & Beyond (someone mentioned getting one there somewhere in the first few pages).

I got mine at Cabela's, if you have one of them near you. They probably won't have them for less than MSRP though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up a vintage Sony TFM-1000WA at the thrift store today. I won't be using it as my primary shortwave receiver, of course, but I did find this print ad for it:

This is how I picture all of you.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That's really cool!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

We don't have an Art Bell/C2C thread anymore, do we?

I am picking up 5085 khz surprisingly well in Nebraska with my G6's built in antenna. Even though my computer is right here, listening to Art on shortwave seems more appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

I'm thinking about getting another radio. My Eton E5 developed this weird sticky goo on the outer rubber/plastic casing and it's really gross.

One of the downsides of things using that rubberized plastic these days. My E5 is definitely more sticky than when it was new, though it isn't bad yet. Have you tried using alcohol to remove the film? I've done this with PS2 joysticks and it has worked well.

• Locked thread