Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stash
Apr 18, 2007

It's not what you think...
Pillbug
Hey, thanks for the thread. Lots of good info here. I hadn't read about the Number Stations in awhile, and this got me all interested again. I decided it was about time to get a SW set since I've always wanted one, so I found the E5 on eBay for about 100 bucks and grabbed one. Seller is electronicrevolution and appears to have some more, along with positive feedback for this item. Price seemed pretty good since most places have it for MSRP. Anyhow, I look forward to picking up some foreign state-run radio stations.

I got into the FTA satellite thing a couple years ago, and that has been lots of fun - US viewers can get about 120 channels, mostly foreign programming but a lot of Jesus channels too. Lots of arabic channels and middle-eastern state news channels. Chinese drama and home shopping and live persian rug auction-by-phone. At about 1AM here you can get arabic morning cartoons, crazy poo poo. You can check out the channels available at https://www.lyngsat.com

Well, cheers! I hope to get my radio up soon and chime in on some of the crazy poo poo coming over the airwaves.

stash fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 9, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stash
Apr 18, 2007

Pillbug
These days you can get excellent FTA reception with just a lightweight 3ft dish and a cheapo receiver. You can get the whole shebang setup for about $100. For $200 you can get a motorized digitally-controlled dish mover and a better receiver, and you can pick up about 20 satellites from anywhere in the US where you can see the southern sky (not all sats have free programming). I was thinking about starting a FTA thread since this one inspired me a bit.

stash
Apr 18, 2007

Pillbug
Cool, I looked at that page and started listening. I am picking one up just barely on 4028kHz. 03:00 UTC, central Texas. Female voice, I can just barely hear it enough to make out that it's Spanish. Signal is pretty faint here, I probably wouldn't have heard the voice if I hadn't tuned to that frequency and listened for it. Seems to be a lot of reports of this channel over the last couple years, so maybe someone else here can pick it up.

I've also picked up Radio Havana Cuba, Radio China International, and of course Alex Jones and Jesus Christ - they're everywhere.

I am using an Eton/Grundig G5 (thanks OP, I totally didn't need that bill anyway) with a 30' wire tossed up on the roof, which works better than the onboard antenna (barely). Anyone else get anything cool lately?

edit: Dog Case, yeah I get VOLMET at 6604kHz USB, a little faint but I can understand most of it. Temperature, Dewpoint, Altimeter, Weather, Ceiling, Wind, Visibility... Any tips on how to pick up more aviation type stuff?

stash fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 23, 2007

• Locked thread