Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Taking my Technician license test in two weeks. Been mostly preparing with the ARRL license manual (little skimpy in areas I'd like to know more about but overall seems fine for the test) and a practice test app on my phone.

What's a good starter kit if I want to do SDR and mostly telecommand and telemetry stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Passed the Technician test, now just waiting to actually show up in the database and get my call sign I guess? I bought an RTL-SDR and have been playing around with it some.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Congratulations! I'm studying for my general now, anxious to get it out of the way so I can start playing around on some different bands.

Whats the shortwave scene like in your area? I'm starting to get bored of mine.

We have a ham radio club on campus that apparently does some fun things. One guy trying to get me to join got his General license at the same time I was getting my technician, but I'm too busy with the rocket club and preparing for the NASA student launch competition to really have the time for it in addition to classes. I'm at a University in electrical and computer engineering so my experience could be different from the general area. We're currently doing APRS data transmission stuff in my Linux class by writing our own AX25 frame, bell 202 encoder, and driver for some hardware to transmit the APRS data.

General area I'd almost expect doomsday preppers, decently rural area. They might be entertaining for a bit but I'm more interested in the data side of things and what I can do with that myself.

• Locked thread