Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

So I found my dad's old SW radio, a Panasonic RF-5000A from the late 60s. I played around with it for a short time, but not knowing much about radio aside from my physics student knowledge I figured I'd ask you guys about it.

I hosed around for an hour or two trying to find stuff to listen to, but I couldn't really hear much aside from faint voices through heavy static, a distorted NPR broadcast, and the local high-power AM station. I'm positive I'm using it incorrectly, but I couldn't even seem to pick up the "time standard" radio station (WWV?) that I looked up on Wikipedia. For what it's worth, I'm within visual line-of-sight of the biggest transmitter farm in the Cleveland area, and I can see tons of blinking red lights at night from said antennae.

What do the buttons in the last image do? Which ones should I have turned on and when?

What position should the antenna(s) be in for best reception? I definitely noticed a change when I touched it (IIRC the human body can act as an antenna sometimes) but I couldn't figure much else beyond that. It has a loop antenna and two whip antennas, one slightly bigger than the other.

Is it worth pursuing anything else with this lead brick of a radio, or should I relegate it to the "curiosity" pile? If I can get some good listening from just buying a cheap external antenna, then I'll stick with it; but if it's so outdated that it's not worth it then I'll just stick it back in the closet and forget about it.

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread