Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

So I've been thinking about picking up one of the Eton/Grundig models this weekend, either from a brick-and-mortar store, or off Amazon or some other site. Has anyone gotten their hands on a G6 yet? If so, does it offer anything better/worse than the G5?

Right now I guess I'm leaning towards a G5, just because that seems to be the best deal for the money and fairly easy to get into the whole thing with. If nobody has one of the G6s (which seem to be hard to get ahold of, since they seem to have only just begun selling them), I'll just run for the G5.

And then start trying to catch crazy numbers stations, instead of just listening to the CDs of the Conet Project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Is the IRC room dead, or did it never really take off (or is it more active at night, when more people are actually listening?)? I was kind of hoping I could ask people in it questions, to avoid making GBS threads up the thread here, but I have yet to see anyone in it over the last few days (granted, I work third shift for the next few months, so I may just be missing people).

I'm really torn; after finishing the thread and reading about all that shortwave listening has to offer, I really want to just grab a G5 and start up listening this weekend. However the G6 is (in theory) on the market right now, although I've yet to see anyone offering it up for actual sale and shipping and no reviews as to how it compares to the G5 are yet out. Plus I'm working third shift, which means I get two nights a week to listen (at least until I move out to Fort Collins in the summer, when I go back to a normal human schedule).

If anyone's heard anything about the G6/5 issue, and has any words of advice, I'd appreciate them.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

I'm not sure if this is super relevant, but I had found this auto-updating map when I was looking up what graylining was.

http://www.spacew.com/www/160gray.html

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

How long did it make the effective length of the antenna, and what frequency can you find that gospel station on? I realize it may be hard to find the actual station frequency, especially if it doesn't broadcast regularly and is bleeding over absolutely everything. My guess would be you managed to get the antenna to a fractional length of that particular frequency's wavelength, and so it was picking it up especially well, but I was pretty bad at physics.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

mrbill posted:

This Bicycle Rim Antenna is pretty cool.

Do you have any idea how this antenna would compare to say, the Sony ANLP-1? (I think that's the name of the Sony Antenna; I'm speaking about the one that's the large circle you hang in a window).

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

You don't SQL numbers stations, because they're not broadcast for voyeuristic listeners, they're for agents in the field.

Mrbill: How much better would the Sony be? I'm assuming the bicycle rim antenna is cheaper to make than the SOny is to purchase, but would the loss in quality make it worthwhile, or would it really just be better to go out and get the Sony?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Today on Dyslexia Radio, Accursed makes an idiot of himself!

MrBill: Thanks! If it's going to be that technical, I probably don't want to hear it, and I'll just start saving pennies for the radio and antenna.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

To be fair, it wasn't my SQL, I was just replying to W_Hat before my brain shut down after working all night.

Awesomonster: Any initial comments on the G6, if you've gotten it yet?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

I finally broke down, so add in 149.95 for a shiny new G5.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Because the thread is pretty lengthy, and it's kind of a minor thing to dig through for, does anyone have the frequencies for the time-signal broadcast out of Fort Collins handy?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Is there anything listed in the Passport book for ~8418 or so? I was listening around 11:20PM EST, and got what sounded like morse code on SSB, but I don't have a copy to see if it's a legit broadcast, or if it was something a little less mundane.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Tetsuo: Thanks, I forget that I should be putting things in UTC. I'll try to keep that in mind next time.

Blugu: :doh: I checked all the text file frequency things that had been posted, and never thought to look at the full-on spectrum guide. Thanks! I'll download that one now, so I can save myself future embarassment.

Accursed fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 12, 2008

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Paratus posted:

Hey, so... since I haven't seen the question answered... what network is #shortwave on?

irc.synirc.org, but I've never seen anyone in the channel.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

I bought an E5 a couple weeks ago, and I've had nothing but good luck with it thus far. I got it from Radio Shack, as well, so take that as you might.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Any suggestions on how to optimize my chances of catching numbers broadcasts, or is it pretty much just "read the text file to get times and likely frequencies, and hope you get lucky"?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

I think I've got the Atencion lady around 5885, at 07:10 UTC.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

If you just want a digital readout, audio out and an antenna jack, the Grundig G5 (and I'm sure G6) has that.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

I had a quick question about antennas. If I got a dipole antenna, like one of the slinky ones, and marked off a set of distances to denote which wavelengths I'd want to pull in, would it be better in 1/8th scale, 1/4, 1/16th, or doesn't it matter?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

ddblue posted:

I found some good ol' fashioned industrial American batteries, so I went with those.
It was night time when I tried, so I was really disappointed. I don't know what it is about my building that nerfs my reception. They've recently started doing construction outside and constructed a huge railing thing that goes all the way around my entire building. That wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?

Also, I got a Sony ICF SW7600GR.

That railing sounds like it's begging for a longwire antenna.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Got my 2009 copy of Passport to World Band Radio today! It's going to be a good winter!

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

TetsuoTW posted:

Goddammit, I'm still waiting for it to be available through the only local book store that even sells it. How's it compare to last year's?

No idea, I don't have last year's. I only got a radio back in uh...March?

I had ordered mine directly from them, so it shipped as soon as they were available.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

hahaha, some crazy 70ish year old preacher ranting about how he's lived longer than Jesus or John the Baptist did because he has to complete his mission from God....to bring about the End of Days. Caught him around 7:20 UT on 3187.

It's not as cool as picking up covert broadcasts, or as informative as world radio, but god drat crazy preachers are amusing.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Kind of annoyed at myself. Forgot to pack my radio to take to my parents' place for the holidays. I put the cord in my checked bag, and meant to put the radio itself in my carry-on. But since I listened to it the night before, I forgot!

Sucks, too, because I get more interesting reception at their place than I do in Colorado.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

AstroZamboni posted:

Welp, I sent off an e-mail to Act electronics in NV to see about having my E5 repaired. They're a third party that does out-of-warranty repair work for Eton/Grundig. While I was at it, I asked if they're able to replace the white LED back lighting in the E5 with red LEDs.

I'm still waiting to hear back.

Keep us updated about the LED thing. I'd love if I could get red LED backlighting for when I take my G5 up into the mountains.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Yeah, come and join us in the #shortwave channel on irc.synirc.org! Right now it's just me and Reasonable, but it would be more fun if we could share numbers station hits and such in real time so that we could all try and find them!

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

She's staticy and there's a lot of interference from closer stations over her, but right on time our favorite Cuban is on 5883 tonight.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Is there any compelling reason I shouldn't bring my G5 with me to the Netherlands in two weeks? I'd like to be able to listen to some of the local radio stations as well and see what I can pick up on shortwave in Europe. Not sure how traveling with a radio works, though...

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Had a few quick moments last night to spend with the radio and managed to pick up UVB-76! It was one of the stations I had wanted to hear (even though it's just that buzzing tone), so I'm pretty glad I brought the radio over here to the Netherlands.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Capnbigboobies posted:

I don't understand why you cant just throw some speaker wire up in a tree and clip it to the antenna/jack. Lean against the tree, put on the headphones and turn the dial as you munch on a sandwich.

If you live in a crappy area just go to a nice neighborhood and sit in a park or school. You gotta be able to at least hear some crazy preachers talk about what a sin abortion is.

Or how Fluoride in the water is a liberal plot to secularize the world and unleash Communism.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Underflow posted:

Take the mic input volume way down and check any boxes that say 'attenuation' or '-ndB'. Then slowly raise the radio's output volume until you have an audible signal that sounds at least acceptable.

The software mixer on your laptop may have additional functions that aren't currently visible. In Windows there should be an 'advanced' option or something like that in the mixer's menubar. Check all elements for recording and see if there's a 'line' panel you can select instead of 'mic'.

If it's a mac, you'll need to search for "LineIn" on the internet. That'll let you use the mic input as a line-in device (this is also how I run my Xbox sound through my laptop).

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Social Animal posted:

Here's hoping I can actually hear anything.

It was yesterday.

I missed it, wanted to catch it but ended up busy =(

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Social Animal posted:

Oops well I probably would have just heard static. :(

Yeah, I didn't have any luck picking it up last year either. Colorado's a bit too far inland, I think =(

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Down in Antarctica for a month, and had to do survival training in case I get stuck out while I'm out sampling in the field. Got to use a nice HF radio to get South Pole Station to copy and reply, and had to set up a nice dipole antenna to do it. Awesome!

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

foobar posted:

Hey, how did the ANLP antenna end up working for you?

Works great! Had too much stuff to pack up (and an expectation of not much free time) to bring my radio/antenna down here for the month we'll be here, but what can you do? When I get back to CO it should be good listening weather still, I hope!

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

elmwood posted:

Okay, I can understand why the conspiracy theorists are so attractive to those looking for a venue to pitch gold; fears of hyperinflation, "fiat money", the collapse of society and with it currency, and so on. However, what's the deal with all the supplement, natural medication, vitamin and homeopathy commercials? Is the audience of the nutjob programming just as likely to believe that "the FDA, doctors and bug pharma don't want you to know about these natural cures because it'll put them out of business? I can imagine some survivalist hunkered down in a bunker somewhere in central Kansas, surrounded by shortwave radios, guns, ammo, gold ingots, and bottles of supplements.

Yeah, that's largely it.

Quacks know that if they pander to the sorts of people that will believe one set of conspiracies, they can usually make a sell. If you've ever looked at a UFO magazine or something like that, you'll see the same thing reflected in their adspace.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

foobar posted:

I don't have much info about current antennas but I had an AN-LP1 (which I sold to another goon in this very thread) and it was AWESOME - I highly recommend seeing if you can get your hands on a used one.

It's me. I was the other goon. The antenna is great!

Sorry for a long-delayed response to this; I don't generally listen to my radio during the summer, so I don't check the thread very often except in fall/winter/spring. That being said, I'm looking forward to pulling it back out now that it'll be darker earlier and I feel less obligated to do things outside!

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Anyone heard The Buzzer lately? I can't really grab it where I am, but the wikipedia page makes it look like it's been going crazy lately.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

I'm just getting back into playing with my radio after a fairly long hiatus. Anyone else really amazed that this thread is almost 6 years old?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Anyone else still using the #shortwave channel on IRC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Cool article in the Washington Post the other day about a spy for Cuba that used shortwave and numbers stations in her work.

link

• Locked thread