Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
When I had my first shortwave receiver 20 years ago I would stay up all night listening to international network broadcasts. I'd open up my copy of Passport to Work Band Radio and check out every station that was broadcasting to North America. I though it was the greatest thing in the world to listen to Voice of Russia, CRI, Deutsche Welle, etc.

A few months ago I got nostalgic for those good old days so I picked up an inexpensive Sangean portable and the 2007 edition of Passport hoping to relive the experience of listening to the world. After picking up a scratchy transmission from CRI that faded in and out I looked up their entry Passport to find a better frequency I noticed that the broadcaster's web address was listed.

http://www.chinabroadcast.cn/

I decided to check out the web site. Guess what they have? Live streaming audio of their shortwave broadcast! I started checking all of the big broadcasters and they all have streaming audio. Crystal clear, on demand, anywhere I have a computer and an internet connection (which is everywhere).

Everything worth listening to on shortwave radio can be listened to BETTER on the internet. I felt like I wasted $100, but I also realized just how much has changed. I'll keep the radio, though, just in case I am without power for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread