Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
I have the 4-CD General Class study guide (sans book) that's put out by Gordon West if anyone wants it. It's made for the old question pool that expired last year, but it seems that most of the questions covered are still valid. If nothing else, it's a great way to learn a bit more about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

nmfree posted:

Tropo ducting doesn't usually occur in the HF bands, it's far more common at 50 MHz (6 meters and TV channels 2-6) and occasionally up to 144 MHz (2 Meters). This is partially because shorter wavelengths are easier to bend (as opposed to reflect), and also because longer HF wavelentghs are simply too large to fit in the duct.
I knew that, I really did. Sorry for spreading the bad info there, my brain's fried.

I think I'm gonna shoot for this weekend to take the General test, there's one about an hour from me. Then it's penny-saving time to get a HF rig. My lease is up in May, so I may look around for a place to stretch my antenna...er...arms and see if I can't build something better to listen.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

McRib Sandwich posted:

I think you just won the steampunk SWL award for this thread. What an awesome relic to have!

I wonder if there's an external speaker for mine :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

nmfree posted:

Also, if the extra is there with you, you can use his privileges (IIRC again, too lazy to look it up).
That's correct, you just have to include the other ham's call sign after your own.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Angiportus posted:

One question, though: is tuning into things on a real set as difficult as it is with this web-based tool? Because I've been listening to this thing for several minutes and I'm still getting the Charlie-Brown-teacher voices from time to time.
Try the LSB setting, the 40 and 80m bands are amateur bands, and that's lower sideband territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

I may go ahead and get one of those G3's just for the hell of it. I'm pretty happy with my E5 but eh. I've been playing around with 300 feet of speaker wire wound around a garden hose reel (around the base, not the reel itself.) Works pretty well, all things considered.

• Locked thread