Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

player2 posted:

EDIT: Are shortwave radios generally only available for online ordering besides lucky pawn shop finds? I'd love to browse models in a brick-and-mortar store, but it seems that they are a bit specialized for that. I live in Portland, Oregon, sort of a bigger city; is it possible that I might find a store here that sells nice models?

Check out http://www.hamradio.com/web/stores/portland.html

Their website is awful, but they have a decent selection of SW radios; more than Circuit City or Radio Shack or anybody else is going to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Hi guys! I haven't been doing much HF stuff lately. I've mostly been playing with my scanners. MY GIRLFRIEND just bought me one of these little Radioshack antennas the other day for some reason http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103641

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some sort of mast material after work and get it up today. Just dangling it on the back porch, I've already heard some things I've never heard even though they've been programmed in the radio for years.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Haven't really been able to do much listening for a while. Just popping in to say I've continued to find awesome stuff at the thrift store for super cheap.

$10:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Not shortwave at all but none of my friends care and I want to tell SOMEBODY.

I found a Tivoli Model One at the thrift store for $9. It's the Platinum Edition which means it costs $50 more because it's ~~Really Shiny~~.
The tuning was awful and loud so I opened it up to clean the tuner and discovered that all four posts that the screws that hold it together thread into were snapped off. Also there were a bunch of dried out broken rubber bands inside.
So I cleaned the tuner and found some long screws that would reach the now shorter posts and put it back together and it sounds GREAT.

But yeah a $200 radio is held together with rubber bands.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 10, 2012

• Locked thread