Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I've got an ancient radio - "inherited" from my dad - which I've been using to manually tune in SW broadcasts for a few years. I managed to pick up a weird mix of broadcasts around the 6 MHz mark - one was a news broadcast in English, but the others seemed to be overlapping languages in Germanic languages - Dutch and German? That was interesting.

I'll have to look into getting a Grundig Eton radio once I have the money for it, though.

(Incidentally, what does "MB" mean, exactly? The dial has positions for FM, AM, MB, and SW, but I'm not sure what MB is, or what I'd find there.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Kinda hoping to get an Eton E5 for my birthday in two weeks, but there's only one for sale in the Radio Shacks The Source by Circuit City stores in my province. :(

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well, it looks like I got the only E5 left in Saskatchewan as a (5-days-early) birthday present. And it was on clearance, too.

All I have to do now is set the wire antenna up for best reception. Around the window, you say?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I didn't pay anything for mine. It was a birthday present. :colbert:

Roudly 97$ CDN with taxes, though. I already had some NMH batteries from my MP3-CD player (now decommissioned), so I'm using those. Picked up Radio Havana Cuba tonight - only problem was the crackles from the hailstorm outside. Heh.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Stuntman Mike posted:

Do any of you guys have experience with the Grundig GS350DL? I did notice in the first post that a few people bought it.

I like the look of it better than the G5 (knobs and dials instead of buttons!), and it IS cheaper.

Then again, WHY is it cheaper, really. I can't see much of a difference, except that the G5 says specifically that it receives "shortwave (1711-29999 Khz) with SSB", and all the GS350DL says is "AM (520-1710), FM (88-108), and Shortwave coverage from 3 to 28 Mhz". That SOUNDS like the same thing, but is it really? It sounds like the GS350 doesn't do SSB. Is SSB worth the 50 bucks USD?

I so confused. :(

Well, SSB lets you pick up numbers stations, all sorts of electronic broadcasts... if that's not important to you, and you like listening to world radio stations, you can safely ignore SSB.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Stuntman Mike posted:

Oh. Thank you for clarifying, that definitely sounds worth the 50 bucks. Too bad though, I liked the look of the 350.
I guess what I REALLY need to do is get a G5 and mod it with knobs! :suicide:

VVV Ah, that's interesting. Hurm, decisions decisions. The 350 does sound really nice.

I know what you mean - I really like the look of the 350, but instead I got an éton E5 (rebranded G5) when I realized that spinny turny knobs are pretty, but they're not really essential to what I was planning on using the radio for. I mean, numbers stations! Tuning in to secret stuff that I can't hear on my dad's old beat-up multi-band radio! Presets so I can listen to Cuban jazz in the evenings without having to memorize the frequency!

but yes secretly I wish the E5 had turny spinny knobs and maybe some more dials and maybe some little metal bars on it and was bigger and...

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Question:

I can't seem to find metal Slinkys for sale anywhere. Where would be a good place to look?
[Yes, I checked the Wal-Mart, Toys 'R' Us, &c websites. Nada.]

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm picking up some short of broadcast report on 7415 - anyone able to give some details on what I'm listening to?

It's pretty weak where I am, unfortunately, so I can't transcribe it too well.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well, I found out the local Zellers actually sells Slinkys - the heavy metal ones, right - and wound up buying one. I'm not sure what to do with it beyond bouncing it from hand to hand at this point, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jose Pointero posted:

If that's radio_small.jpg, what about linking radio_big.jpg?

• Locked thread