Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
I was poking around a pawn shop today during lunch and there was a Grundig S350DL for 40 dollars, I said what the hell and got it. After getting home and starting to read reviews online it seems I got a really expensive AM radio that will never get anything interesting. Any rays of hope or are the negative reviews pretty much spot on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Ok stupid question number two, what works best for an in window wire antenna. any particular length or pattern (square, triangle, circle, swirl, braid, etc.)?

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
After digging around the internet all night I came across something kind of interesting for people with non ssb shortwaves or for people who want to buy sub-100 dollar tuners and hear some of the interesting stuff.

http://radio.tentec.com/kits/Fun

Scroll down to the "Universal BFO" :siren: $11.00 :siren:

quote:

Got an old (or very new) AM only shortwave radio with no CW-SSB capability? If you want to enjoy casual CW-SSB reception, this varactor-tuned 455 kHz oscillator may be built into larger receivers or else mounted in its own case and placed near your portable SWL radio. The on board tuning control compensates for alignment variations from one receiver to another in addition to permitting fine-tuning of SSB/CW signals. Operates on 6 to 15 VDC. We recommend (undrilled, no holes) enclosure TPx-13 for this item. Order TP-13 for unpainted aluminum, TPB-13 for black, TPC-13 for charcoal.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
I'm on the fence about getting an Icom PC controlled radio, but the lack of Motorola trunking is kind of a bummer especially if I'm gonna shell out the $500-$900 depending on model.

I also caught a Spanish number station around 1:30PM EST on my Grundig S350DL on Sunday. It was pretty faint, but I could certainly make out the words. (I'm located in VA)

• Locked thread