Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mawrucre
Feb 8, 2004
I live in a basement apartment. What options are there for listening to shortwave radio in a basement with two tiny windows in my room and one tiny window in the bathroom?

I always wanted to get a shortwave radio as a kid... and a ham radio too. Neither of them ever happened :(. I did finally get my Technician license a few years back, as an adult, but the desire to do use it has diminished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawrucre
Feb 8, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

If you're getting the (Degen-branded) DE1103, be aware that if you're in the US you'll have to get a different power adapter than the one that comes with it. And all of the buttons are in chinese characters.

The two companies selling on ebay right now include a power adapter for the country it is shipped to (American adapter if shipped to US, British if shipped to Britain, etc), the buttons are in English, and the manual is in Chinese but they include a CD with the manual in English. The DE1103 is about $80 shipped to your door, no taxes, the cheapest KA1103 I could find was more than $80 and didn't include taxes and shipping and handling. It gets very good reviews with 4.7/5 on eham with over 37 votes.

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1103.htm
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4288

Basically, if someone is looking at a KA1103 they should get the DE1103 since they are the exact same radio, one is just cheaper. I'm still waiting for mine to make it to me from China :(.

mawrucre
Feb 8, 2004

Capnbigboobies posted:

What do you guys think about the DE1102 radios selling on ebay from china? It seems like it has a good feature set (SSB) and good reviews. I am thinking for around 60-70 It could be a solid value.

I talked about the DE1103 one page ago. Here it is again

commonbrick posted:

The two companies selling on ebay right now include a power adapter for the country it is shipped to (American adapter if shipped to US, British if shipped to Britain, etc), the buttons are in English, and the manual is in Chinese but they include a CD with the manual in English. The DE1103 is about $80 shipped to your door, no taxes, the cheapest KA1103 I could find was more than $80 and didn't include taxes and shipping and handling. It gets very good reviews with 4.7/5 on eham with over 37 votes.

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1103.htm
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4288

Basically, if someone is looking at a KA1103 they should get the DE1103 since they are the exact same radio, one is just cheaper. I'm still waiting for mine to make it to me from China :(.

My DE1103 cost $73.90 total (shipping from China included) so you can add that to the list OP. Compare that with KA1103 where the cheapest I've found it is around $100 shipped. It seems to be a nice radio. It even comes with rechargeable batteries. How many electronics come with batteries nowadays? Not just any old batteries, but rechargeable ones. Keep in mind the KA1103 and DE1103 are the exact same radio the only difference is mine says Degen on it, and the one from Kaito will cost $30 more and say Kaito.

Saturday night I picked up Radio Netherlands from the Netherlands Antilles. How much will the fact I am in a basement affect my reception? I have a feeling standing outside late at night with a long antenna extending from my radio and headphones might attract the wrong kind of attention.

• Locked thread