Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
That's it, next paycheck I'm buying a Grundig G6 Aviator Buzz Aldrin Edition Shortwave Radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Messed with a G6 at RadioShack today. Jesus Christ it's tiny.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Jesus you just made me realize that I have a huge metal shack behind my house. ...could I?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Radio Nowhere posted:

Radio Sweden done with shortwave October 31st, the usual "focusing more resources on interwebs" excuse :sweden:

http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/International/nyhetssidor/artikel.asp?ProgramID=2054&format=1&artikel=3562645

This sucks.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

AstroZamboni posted:

I checked the Fry's website. No luck.

In other news, I'm currently studying for my Technician ham license. Don't have transmitting equipment yet, but I'm just about ready for the test.

There is a thread for people like you. We don't bite.

To contribute, I need a Grundig so bad.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Well of course we're going to tell you to try it, man. This is a thread about shortwave radio. And like Radio Nowhere said, this is a trial and error business. Throw wire around like a son of a bitch and fiddle until you figure out its moods.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I don't see this on this page: The FCC wants to hear from human beings about ham radio use in emergency situations.

The FCC posted:

the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC or Commission) Wireless Telecommunications Bureau and Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau seek comment on the uses and capabilities of Amateur Radio Service communications in emergencies and disaster relief. As set forth below, comment is sought on issues relating to the importance of emergency Amateur Radio Service communications and on impediments to enhanced Amateur Radio Service communications. Stakeholder entities and organizations, including the Amateur Radio, emergency response, and disaster communications communities, are particularly encouraged to submit comments.

Deadline TOMORROW, Thursday 5/17.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Accursed posted:

Anyone else still using the #shortwave channel on IRC?

I'm just idling in #hamradio now.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Put 'em up.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

General Tofu posted:

First of many.
You Can't Beat Saturn on WWCR, 5.890 MHz

https://soundcloud.com/magnitude715/you-cant-beat-saturn

Fantastic, I crave more.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
A lot of radio stations just signed up to syndicate him for hours overnight with much fanfare. This is going to be a loving mess.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Nostratic posted:

I love this thread :allears:

So I snagged an RTL-SDR this week on a whim and have messed with it once for about 30 minutes, it's pretty cool. To receive shortwave with it, I need an upconverter, correct? I went to the usual strong freqs and didn't pick up anything, of course I'm just using the long telescopic antenna inside the house.

Any suggestions for interesting stuff to do with just the stock dongle and antenna?

The Spyverter is the upconverter of choice, currently, and I plan on buying it next month.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Is there anything on OS X that's less of a pain in the rear end to use than GQRX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
In a stunning turn of events, CubicSDR is actually pretty good on OS X. I have been shocked.

• Locked thread