Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
Ah shortwave. I don't have room to put up an antenna now, but I still have my trusty Realistic DX-380 with me. I can mostly pick up the American stations, but not much else these days.

One interesting aspect about shortwave is how it's used around the world. Here in the so-called First World, shortwave radio is becoming obsolete. With the internet and wide spread terrestrial FM stations, we have easy access to news. Shortwave in North America and Europe is mainly for ex-pats working abroad to keep abreast of what's going on in their home country, or to broadcast signals into countries and regions with light news coverage. As we scale back on SW broadcasts, the stations and transmitters are being bought by religious broadcasters. Most SW signals in North America are from churches.

In places like Africa and South America, SW broadcasts are the main way of getting news reports and emergency announcements to the citizenry. A UK company invented a cheap, wind up shortwave radio that doesn't run on batteries and these radios are widely distributed into remote areas for the people to hear newscasts. These broadcasts are very low power and often challenging to try to pick up in North America. These are often called Tropical Band stations and are down in the 3-7 kHz range. You'll mostly hear subtropical noise down there without an extremely sensitive antenna.

Great idea for a thread AstroZamboni!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread