Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Oh my god, I can't believe I'm actually thinking about taking this. You guys make it sound so interesting and fun...

Sorry for the stupid question, but I live in Hawaii and I'm wondering how this would affect reception. Would I be able to hear things differently because I'm in the middle of loving nowhere? I'm checking google right now.

Everything you guys have posted in this thread sounds neato, and this would be a good excuse to drive way out into the boonies every once and a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
A coworker of mine is letting me borrow his little Grundig for a few days and, man, I don't know why this is interesting but it is. Tomorrow I'm going to take it far far far out of town to see if I can pick up anything really interesting. Almost every station I'm able to pick up clearly is speaking in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean. It's nice, but I can't understand that.

Hopefully the novelty of this wears off within a few days, otherwise I think you may have to add me to the financial drain in the OP...

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I managed not to succumb to my impulsiveness when I first saw this thread months ago. Saw it on the front page this morning for the first time in forever and I can't take it. You can add $150 to the OP for an E5.

I have the money now, and I guess it's a new year so I should start up a new hobby.

Mainly what sold me was how excited everyone posting in this thread seems to be and a coworker of mine who is really into SW. Thanks, guys!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Dammit, this is a lot of fun. I finally got it to a place where interference was minimal and what I was able to pick up was amazing. Lots of stuff in Japanese. Too bad I don't speak that language. Planning on trying again when this drat weather clears up.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
All the pictures posted on this page look so advanced and awesome... I'm totally outclassed here and I'll never catch up. I threw some speaker wire on my roof and it increased my reception A LOT, which is cool. Plus, while I was stripping the coating off the wire the SWAT team came and busted my neighbor for something, which is also cool.

Basically I'm bumping this thread to say thanks to everyone for giving me something fun to do on my days off from work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Glad this thread is still around because it has answered all of my questions.

I get a kick out of listening to maritime and aeronautical stations. I have no idea why.

• Locked thread