Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cacatua posted:

There are a lot of conspiracy theorists on shortwave, too. One guy I listened to jabbered on about how the government is doing some sort of population control on us by putting chemicals in our food and water. A lot of nutcases also like to rant about some New World Order that's going to destroy us all.
Art Bell's "Coast to Coast" radio show is also broadcast on shortwave. I picked it up once while looking for numbers stations on my little '70s battery-powered Longines Symphonette.

I also have an AM/SW Zenith radio made in 1940. The shortwave frequency numbers have little notes saying what country used them. The filter cap's dead, though, so all I can get on it is the sound of the electricity. No volume control, no tuning, just a loud-as-gently caress hum as soon as the tubes warm up. At least now I know what 60hz sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

blugu64 posted:

Any chance you know what station Coast to Coast is broadcast on (in shortwave). I've got a decent AM station here, but if it's possible to make Coast to Coast any cooler, it'd be shortwave.
Sorry, no. I didn't write it down.

I got the famous Cuban numbers station twice -- once on what sounded like sideband (sounds like the adults' voices in the Peanuts cartoons) and once in the clear, but jammed so it was very faint. Also something that I thought was a numbers station, but continued listening proved it to be a nautical weather station reading wind speed and direction.

Also, can anybody else hear a weird Morse code on around 6.3 and 8.3 MHz (my tuner is rather imprecise)? What is it? It's got a bit of a musical beat to it, and late at night goes from the normal 2-letter group to something crazy -- same signal, but repeated a bit out of time over itself with some other boops and bleeps. I assume it's a navigational beacon of some sort, but that doesn't explain the techno mode.

Edit: Ooh, the Wikipedia article on numbers stations links to a clip of one being jammed, and that reminded me of something so I went and checked. The strange noise I keep picking up on 5.3 MHz is a bubble jammer. I think that's where we picked up the numbers station once.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 7, 2007

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Also, which works better: running a long line around the house, or doing loops around a windowframe? Or a combo of both?
Probably the latter. The electrical crap in your house causes a lot of interference. I had a lot of trouble recording from mine because every time I plugged it into the computer it'd just go to static. Of course, my radio is cheap and 30 years old; your mileage may vary.

Recordings:
It's numbers, and it's en Espanol.

Another one, sounds like the regular SW with SSB stepping on it.

Also the weird morse code and same in crazy techno mode.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I picked up radio Taiwan for about a minute last night -- not enough for a QSL card, as I only managed to hear half of the schedule and frequencies announcement, but cool nonetheless. Missed the current frequency in the list, though, so I don't know which broadcast it was.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

meatpotato posted:

You guys have to check out 7100. It's 0613Z and I'm getting the dictionary in CW. It's on "Apartment" now and heading towards "appear."
Nothing. drat this apartment living and EM-noisy neighbors! Though I've also previously picked up a French-Canadian time station around there ('70s radio with analog dial -- not the best for picking out exact freqs), and the two could be stepping on each other; I couldn't hear the metronome either when I tried just now.

Edit: I tried it at about 1:20 CDT/6:20 Zulu. Only static, but it was that odd sort of static that means there's something there and it's just not quite making it through.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 16, 2007

• Locked thread