Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
java
May 7, 2005

While this thread hasn't caused me to drop any new money yet (though the last shortwave thread got me into it), it did cause me to break out the wire antenna that came with my Grundig G5. I had tried it a few times in my apartment before just stringing on the ground, or hanging it out the window, but I wound up looping it around the window sill and now I can actually pick things up slightly better than the telescoping antenna.

Listening to ham radio operators talk about how much they like to pay for a cut of steak is a pretty good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

Scanner gone!

This will hopefully finance the purchase of a Degen DE31 active antenna for my shortwave fancies.

java fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 15, 2007

java
May 7, 2005

Well, for what it's worth I sold my PRO-94 radio: +60
And then instantly went out and ordered a Degen DE31 Active Shortwave Antenna: -21

I don't know if you want to add that to the running totals. I can't wait to get this thing and hook it up.

java
May 7, 2005

I got my notice today that my degen de11 will be sitting at the post-office at 9am Saturday morning. I can't wait to try that sucker out, it's going to be hard waiting for night-time.

java
May 7, 2005

AstroZamboni posted:

Congrats!

So I tried the Deegen DE11 last night, I have to say, I was pretty impressed. I tried it out around 6:00 UTC, so it was relatively quiet around here, but I was able to pick up a ton of HAM operators. When I unplugged the antenna for comparison, I could hear them at all. It also helped me get past some local interference nicely. Very clean signal. Overall, I'm very impressed for such a cheap investment.

java
May 7, 2005

AstroZamboni posted:

They basically live on the outskirts of the suburbs of an outlying community way out on the rear end end of bum gently caress nowhere.

PERFECT!

Speaking of trips like that, I'm heading to Australia for a month in three months, planning on bringing the E5 with me. I can't wait to see what I can manage to pick up half way around the world.

java
May 7, 2005

So I finally made it back from Australia a few days ago. Still getting over the jet lag. However, my trusty Grundig G5 made it with me. I was out on the Great Barrier Reef for two nights on one of the tourist boats. It's pretty hard to get torn away from the beauty of the reef itself (and the great Aussie beer), however I did manage to squeeze some shortwave time in (though not as much as I might have hoped).

It was without a doubt the cleanest signal I had gotten anywhere ever. That ended up being somewhat of a problem actually. It was so clear that a lot of frequencies would have multiple stations on them. This made deciphering some of the material being broadcasted difficult to understand. Additionally, I do not have a good grasp of many Asian languages, and there were a lot of those channels.

I am certain that I picked up the following: Radio Australia, Radio New Zealand, Radio Moscow (was a bit surprised by this, but it was very strong), a lot of channels from Bali, a couple of stations broadcasting music that sounded like it was straight from Bollywood, though I don't think I picked up any other stations from India, so I'm not entirely sure on that. Tons on stations from Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, and Japan. Some BBC service, but that was likely relayed from a closer point. I think I picked up a boat at some point, but am not entirely sure at that point.

What was very interesting about all of this is that it ran a huge range. I was picking things up from 600-17,000 with almost no stops in between. It was just solid material the whole way through. That also made it hard to get through at points.

Again, I wish I had more time that I could have spent listening but was very pleased with what I got to hear. I'd highly encourage anyone going that way take a shortwave with them for some interesting late night listening.

java
May 7, 2005

So I really enjoyed many of the previous Shortwave threads and picked up a Grundig G5 a while back. I'm not really using it much these days, and wanted to mention that I'm selling it in a thread over at SA-Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2926340

java
May 7, 2005

I picked up a G6 that was fairly cheap the other day. Back onto the SSB horse.

java
May 7, 2005

Radio Nowhere posted:

How cheap and where did you get it? I've been wanting a new shortwave toy and I'm torn between the G3 and G6. Well maybe not so much torn as much as what to get first! I love the tiny size and features of the G6, I love how the G3 would be a uber upgrade of my beloved Degen 1103.

I got it for 50 shipped, used, which in all likelihood is not a whole lot of a steal, but I'm pretty happy. I really didn't want to pay much to pickup something that I'll honestly really been using to listen to baseball games.

java
May 7, 2005

So finally a reason to post in this thread again. I was listening to UVB-76 tonight, sounds like it had some new Morse code along with some music. I'm sure that it's going to turn out that this is somehow part of a viral marketing campaign.

java
May 7, 2005

Vir posted:

The Foreign Affairs Select Committee wants to - at least partially - shield the BBC World Service from the austerity measures, saying it's too important to reduce, especially in view of the "Arab spring".

http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/bbc-world-service-too-valuable-to-be-cut-942671

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9456000/9456338.stm

It's interesting to see that shortwave is still playing into national information dissemination policies given all the rhetoric about the role that the Internet played in all of this.

Even more amazing considering where I'm at it's nothing but religious propaganda :tinfoil:

java
May 7, 2005

General Tofu posted:

First of many.
You Can't Beat Saturn on WWCR, 5.890 MHz

https://soundcloud.com/magnitude715/you-cant-beat-saturn

This is amazing.

java
May 7, 2005

Haven't listened to shortwave in quite sometime and decided to tune in last night. Holy poo poo, there is a lot more racist-flavored crazy than I remember.

java
May 7, 2005

Radio Nowhere posted:

80 meter amateur radio or 'Pastor' Pete Peters?

It was at 3185 khz. Looking it up, might have been the overcomer ministry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

C.M. Kruger posted:

I have a Grundig G6 that had the same sticky issue, rubbing alcohol cleaned it up good.

Tecsun seems to be the main brand now. I'm planning on eventually picking up a PL-880 myself.

I'm glad the Grundig G6 sticky goo issue is a universal constant and not just me.

• Locked thread