Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
I got extremely lucky and bought a Grundig Satellit 700 at a garage sale for 40 bucks. Haven't really gotten to use it yet, I just got married and going to bed when my wife does is far more appealing than numbers stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
My current RF command center consists of my LW\MW\SW\FM Grundig Satellit 700, my old-as-gently caress Realistic Patrolman-B which picks up AM\FM\VHF\UHF\Weather\Television\Air Traffic, and my also-old-as-gently caress Panasonic RF-1150 which picks up AM\FM\SW\CB frequencies. I have them wired into the line-in on my computer for recording, and am looking into picking up external antennas to wire into them (hopefully I can find a way to splice a few antennas into all of them). Unfortunately, the old SW radio doesn't do SSB, I don't have a manual with my Grundig, and the old Patrolman can't pick up most modern VHF\UHF transmissions. I will probably add a good modern scanner at some point so that I can cover the full RF spectrum.

The funny thing is, all three radios were purchased at garage sales and cost me a total of 60 bucks, for what I think is 500 dollars worth of equipment.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD

AstroZamboni posted:

Whish SW doesn't handle SSB? Because the Satellit 700 sure does.

I'm pretty sure the Grundig manuals can be found online somewhere. Radio Intelligencer might be a good place to start looking.

The Patrolman-B is a lower-end portable from the early 80s; it can receive CB (but I hardly ever hear anything) but it doesn't do SSB.

I am trying to find a long external antenna for both my Grundig and the Patrolman; but the Grundig has a european input and the Patrolman has the weird prong screws in the back, I think, like old TVs have for their antenna inputs.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
The monetary drain figure does not include my Grundig Satellit 700 or Panasonic RF-1150, purchased for a total of 60. Although once I actually get around to buying an antenna that will surely increase.

The contact on the Satellit is loose so it loses power sometimes. I am thinking of taking it in to get some soldering done to correct that, since I don't want to do the job myself and risk losing it. I am also still trying to locate a manual.

edit: Oh, I get it. The financial drain is for radios purchased as a result of reading this thread. We should have someone with archives access go back through our several dozen SW threads and total the amount that goons have spent due to them. I know in every thread there are at least 4 goons who buy decent radios. Hell, I bought mine because of one of the old SW threads.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD

AstroZamboni posted:

I have all of the known frequencies of the Spanish Lady (Enigma designation: V2) stored in my E5's memory banks. Usually, if I want to find an easy pickins number station to freak out a friend I can just flip through the memory and find our sultry Cuban mistress pretty easily.

By the way, I've heard good things about Eavesdropper Dipoles. Fairly full featured tunable dipole for 80 bucks for those who aren't quite so DIY-minded.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0680.html
http://www.antennasupermarket.com/

What would I need to hook this up to my Satellit? I haven't had an antenna yet, and have heard complaints that the input is weird, but it appears to be just a normal DIN 45325 coaxial input.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
I can't get it. :( My Grundig isn't pulling in anything except static and random tones on nearby frequencies.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
You guys might have to lower the total for goon-bought equipment soon. I'm going to be selling my Satellit 700. It's just too hard staying up til 2 am at night to use it.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
Well, I put my Grundig up on ebay. :( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=280158648640&Category=15051&_trksid=p3907.m29

It was really fun the few times I got to use it. I really wish I could hold onto it but I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it. :(

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD

AstroZamboni posted:

The whip antenna on my E5 snapped off! gently caress gently caress gently caress DOUBLE gently caress!

Can you still pull the base out? Most whip antennas are held on by a screw so you can replace them.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD

Illegal Clown posted:

I too am getting the Andrews message. I've been hearing garbled messages on 6739 kHz at certain times over the last hour, but after a little fine tuning on the SSB on my E5 I was able to get a clear signal. This is cool as I was oblivious to these messages before today!

I regret selling my Satellit 700...Seaturtleman.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
Can anyone recommend a good, sub-100 radio? I used to own a Satellit 700 that I bought for 40 (I believe it's mentioned on the first page) but I sold it. I regret selling it. :( I've been looking at the Grundig S350DL or S350, it looks like a field radio from the 70s or 80s and I like that.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD

Illegal Clown posted:

I'm inclined to agree. I'm not really in the market for a new radio but when you first mentioned the G3 it seemed like it had everything I really wanted in a radio. I'm thinking I may have to pick up one of those when they come out.

I used to have an old Patrolman radio that covered pretty much every band except the SWs, having access to marine and air radio was pretty awesome.

That must have been a great radio back when it was released because I am fairly confident you could pick up all local radio communication with it. I tried using it with crappy modern motorola radios that broadcast in it's range, and it just picked up noise when I used them, so it was useless in the modern age. However, the air band was pretty awesome.

I am probably going to wait for the G3. I am confident my 700 had synchronous detection and it's awesome. Even cooler was having RDS on a radio that was first produced in like, 1991 or 1992. I know Europe is more advanced than the US in terms of radio and whatnot, but that was still pretty awesome.

I would like to get a Sat 750 or 800 because it has this awesome "I AM A GIANT RADIO" look going, complete with fuckoff big handles on the sides, but I can't drop 500 on a radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
Can someone fill me in on how RTTY-FAX works? I've heard that you can pick up nifty data via shortwave and display it? I'm thinking of making radio one of my hobbies when I get out of grad school and am looking to set up a better RF station than what I used to have.

• Locked thread