Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shastao
Jan 10, 2006
Just put in an order for an Eton E5, been meaning to get a shortwave radio for awhile, and now I finally have the money/excuse (birthday present for self). I've tried looking but haven't found anything quite like I want ... is there a chart of what frequencies are commonly used for what, like emergency services and aircraft and so on? Or is it something you have to sort of get a feel for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006
I have a question, is there any sort of modification I could do to say allow me to use my car's antenna for mobile shortwave reception without having to break out a huge conspicuous antenna? Alligator clips or something?

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006
Just finished moving back into my apartment for summer classes, brought out my Eton E5 (which you can add to the damage total in the OP if you haven't) and with just the whip was able to pick up the NDB at the local airport :dance: which I couldn't back home (different airport).

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

I found some CW at 262kHz standing out on the balcony, and after finding a pen and a pad, it appears he was saying "VF" every few seconds, followed by a 5-second steady tone. Automated beacon of some sort?

EDIT: ..._ .._. is "VF", right?

I tried looking at non-directional beacons to see if there was one on 262 kHz but the only match here http://www.airnav.com/navaids/ was for CTM (meaning the signal would just be -.-. - -- over and over) in Chetumal, Mexico. It's in the general range as those sorts of things. No idea, otherwise. It seems doubtful unless you're close to it, although it is broadcast at 1200 watts(!) compared to say the 25 watts for the NDB at my local airport.

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006
Am I the only one that receives WWCR (the C stands for Conspiracy, the R stands for Religion) stronger than pretty much every other station? :sigh:

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006
Just recovered from a ~20 minute power outage, in which I decided to break out my E5 and see what I could pick up :)

With just the whip, sitting on my bed in the middle of a third floor room in Ohio, I was able to faintly make out WWVH on 5000 kHz where normally I can't receive anything on that frequency with the whip pushed up against the window.

It was really, really weird. I could tell the exact moment the power came back on because the amount of noise doubled.

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006
Some kind of high speed code on 4005.

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Yeah, that's some kind of Radio Teletype frequency, just don't know what its for.

Ah, okay. It sounds really awesome, though.

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006

Elijah posted:

Does anyone know any good wacko conspiracy theory programs that air on a regular basis? That's the stuff I really like to listen to, but I've only found it once, when I was listening to Adventist World Radio.

WWCR (World Wide Christian Radio) sometimes airs conspiracy type stuff, they're one of the strongest stations I can get where I am.

WWCR transmitter schedule

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006
What would be the "Eton E5" of scanners, in terms of capability for affordability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shastao
Jan 10, 2006
My question about the magnetic loop antenna: How big of a pain is it to tune through bands? It seems as if you have to recalibrate it every few hundred kHz, and know exactly how much to tune it in order to keep the "focus" with your radio.

• Locked thread