Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Apocadall posted:

Passed the Technician test, now just waiting to actually show up in the database and get my call sign I guess? I bought an RTL-SDR and have been playing around with it some.

Congratulations! I'm studying for my general now, anxious to get it out of the way so I can start playing around on some different bands.

Whats the shortwave scene like in your area? I'm starting to get bored of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, get an audio feed from the radio to the machine with a cable, install something like FLdigi or mixW depending on your platform, and you can decode a PILE of digital modes. Also great for just straight up tape recorder duty if you install a small sound recorder. There's a bunch of software out there to play with digital stuff on HF and VHF. If you can pick the OS, honestly Windows has the most volume of software, but Linux has the hackable nerd stuff going on too.

This is great, thanks! I've been looking for a project like this for an old laptop I had sitting around.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for that link Jonny 290!

Living in a mid level crowded apartment sucks for ham and shortwave radio. I cant pick up poo poo, but that link ought to keep me entertained for a bit.

• Locked thread