Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

I love shortwave radio! The coolest part is that you can write to many of the stations with a reception report and they'll send you free stuff in return.

Radio China and Radio Taiwan are awesome for this. I get free propaganda in the mail from Radio China monthly because I wrote to them one. The first batch of stuff they sent me included wallet calendars, a ton of newsletters, a bunch of pamphlets on Chinese tourism, and a mini notepad. I'm still on their mailing list. Radio Taiwan sent a similar care package: I got a magnet, newsletter, radio schedule, wallet calendar, and mini notepad. Radio Japan was also quite generous.

Radio Netherlands sent me a postcard, and the Cubans also sent a postcard and a schedule. Later on, Radio Cuba also sent me a new schedule and a Fidel Castro wallet calendar. I also got a Christmas card from them. So, if you want propaganda delivered to your house, just send off reception reports to Radio China or Radio Havana Cuba.

Radio Netherlands is quite excellent; their programs are really interesting and I often download them from their website to listen to while I work if I didn't catch them on the radio. Radio Habana Cuba's broadcasts always begin with a lot of news, much of which will be devoted to any bad things the American government has done. It's a bit biased that way. I really want to find the stations from Iran or North Korea one of these days. I want to see what they give in return for reception reports.

The stations I get clearest are the crazy fire and brimstone preachers from the southern USA. There are a lot of conspiracy theorists on shortwave, too. One guy I listened to jabbered on about how the government is doing some sort of population control on us by putting chemicals in our food and water. A lot of nutcases also like to rant about some New World Order that's going to destroy us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Some stations will not just send a QSL card, but put you on a mailing list for all sorts of crazy swag. Communist countries are the best about this. The curator of the museum where I work (who happens to be a ham) has a huge collection of insane banners, calenders, etc from commie china. Its keen.

Me too. If you write one QSL to Radio China, they send you newsletters and other stuff quite frequently. Radio Taiwan is pretty good too.

I actually have a big collection of Chinese propaganda. My brother worked at a museum and some Chinese ambassadors visited it, and they gave him a bunch of booklets, which he gave to me. One's on "Tibet After it'=s Peaceful Liberation," and another is entitled, "Falun Gong is a Cult." I've got some other less hosed up stuff, like books on Chinese art or tourist destinations.

The stuff I get from Cuba all looks like it was made on an old-style typewriter, except the postcards and Fidel Castro swag (wallet calendars).

A lot of American stations send Bible-related stuff. I've got quite a few Bible study guides from them, and lots of warnings about the upcoming end of the world. I've heard that Radio Iran sends out lots of info on Islam.

• Locked thread