Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manero
Jan 30, 2006

Yet another ham checking in.

Been fairly inactive as a ham operator, save for stuff I do with Skywarn (which could be a whole thread in itself), but I picked up a KA1103 independent of this thread maybe a year ago, and I love tuning around. The KA1103 is a great portable, and I'd recommend it.

I haven't stumbled across a numbers station, except for one that I found years and years ago and got spooked when I was 15.

Unfortunately I live in the city so it's hard to NOT get interference. I love taking the radio when I head up north though.

I need to get a real antenna up on my roof some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Hey, that reminds me. I can never remember how many mAH those stupid green batteries in the KA1103 are, so I think I end up underestimating the recharge time.

Can anyone with them fill me in on how many mAH they are, or at least how long they recharge theirs for? 18 hours seems to stick in my head for some reason.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

comaerror posted:

To echo what others have said, that definitely sounds like a maritime beacon. I can sometimes pick up Japanese coast guard beacons that follow the same sort of format.

I found this, looks like Seattle Maritime, on 6318 khz:

http://qrg.globaltuners.com/details.php?id=21117

manero
Jan 30, 2006

RIP Monitoring Times :(

http://www.arrl.org/news/em-monitoring-times-em-to-cease-publication

manero
Jan 30, 2006

ickna posted:

For $20 you can an RTL-SDR stick, though you'll need an upconverter to get to the shortwave bands (~$50). It's still cheaper than most other SDR kits.

^^ exactly this. The ham-it-up upconverter is $50, and NooElec is having a sale on aluminum cases as well. I've been enjoying playing around with mine :v:

In related news, I'm giving a talk/demo next week on SDR's, and I need to come up with an antenna for receiving HF inside a building.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, I'll probably just string up a random-length wire, but I'm struggling on the connection part of it...

The upconverter has an SMA connector on it, and I have a bunch of various adapter pigtails. Maybe just a short length of RG-58/U, with the center soldered to the random wire? I just need something that will let me pull in the 20m ham bands, preferably. Doesn't have to be fancy.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

foobar posted:

I'd be interested in checking out any docs (presentations, etc) you put together for your talk - any chance you'll post them here?

The slides themselves are pretty worthless without the context of a talk.. if they record my session I'll put a link up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

grilldos posted:

In a stunning turn of events, CubicSDR is actually pretty good on OS X. I have been shocked.

Cubic looks nice. I wish these really nice SDR apps would also just support I/Q from a sound device, I rly want to plug in my KX3 to this.

• Locked thread