Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Throw another $150 for an E5 I bought during the last numbers station thread if you think that should count.

Add another ~$25 for the passport book I bought yesterday which is amazing. If you've been thinking about buying the passport book, just do it.

I picked up a spanish numbers lady yesterday evening (~23:00) somewhere around 6850. It didn't sound like the usual spanish number lady that I often get. She said her numbers for a while and then stopped. For the next hour or so the station still came in crystal clear, but wasn't broadcasting anything. It was as if someone had "key'd the mic" and just left it laying there. I left the radio on while the neighbors were hanging out hoping to scare the crap out of them if she would start up with another number sequence, but no luck. After that, it just went back to an empty (static) station.

Neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Nostratic posted:

We need an IRC channel to share our late night evangelist discoveries.

Heard yesterday afternoon on what sounded like a call-in show:

:catholic:: They been saying there's other solar systems and I don't know if they found another planet but yes well the stars and the sun and the universe and everything yes everything was created by god himself, by the majestic word of god.

:phone:: Well I heard they was sayin' that the sun is a star too! Is that right? What is the sun is it a star?

:catholic:: Well I wouldn't know anything about that at all except that the good lord has created us with his word. I don't know if the sun is a star or what it is.

:phone:: Amen!

:tinfoil:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

4372 kHz USB.

What's the USB mean on my Eton E5?

My auto-scan mode seems worthless, and I still can't really figure out what the SSB button is for. Sometimes if I hear a faint beeping noise and I switch USB on I get morse code. That's about it.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

USB stands for Upper Sideband. An explanation of everything you're asking here is in the OP.

Not really.

People are posting something like "I heard <something> at <time> on <frequency>U"

I realise the "U" after the frequency means upper side band, but how do I tune my E5 to the upper side band? Do I hit the SSB button, or does my radio just not have that function? I apologize if I'm being daft but I just don't get it.

Also, the wiki (which is really really nice, by the way) has boxes at the top for "Solar X-Rays" and "Geomagnetic Field." Would it be easy to add a "Current UTC Time" box up there? That would sure be handy.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
AstroZamboni you were right and I am a putz. I apologize and thank you for spelling it out for a dummy like me. It's been a long day.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
It's been said in this thread a few times, but I would just like to emphasize it again. Listening at night makes all the difference.

Since I got my radio, I've been listening during the day, scanning around trying to find something. Last night was the first time I turned it on after sundown and the difference was amazing. During the day it was as if I had 20 "channels" on my radio to listen to. At night this seemed way more like 200 "channels" of listening options. I could hardly go 50khz without picking something up.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is it possible I picked up audio from a television signal last night?

7505 was playing what sounded to me like either dialog from some weirdo movie, or just random bits of people talking with strange music (like a movie score) behind it.

Perhaps someone was just broadcasting really weirdo stuff. The dialog didn't really seem to stick much to a plot. There would be music for a minute or so then either a man or a woman would start talking. It went on for at least an hour.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I got to pick up Alex Jones last night and I was super, super excited about it because I've only picked him up once before and I considered it some of the best shortwave listening that I've done.

The first time I got him was a week or two ago on 7505, while last night it was ~5890, neither of which are freq's listed on his page http://www.infowars.com/listen.html

quote:

The show is broadcast over Shortwave from 11AM-1PM Central on WWCR 9.985. In the evening, the program is broadcast on 5.765 during the first hour and the second hour is on 3.215. The third hour of the live show is on 9.975.

Alex is rebroadcast on shortwave from midnight-3AM (CST) on 5.070, and from 9pm-midnight all three hours are on 5.765.

The first time I picked him up, I got a slow and steady 'wave' of static every minute or so. It sounded like he was getting interrupted by the ocean. No big deal, I heard him well enough. Last night's reception was identical to the first time, except one of the waves of static washed him out completely and I lost the signal. :( I was heart broken.

I'm still trying to pick up HAM guys but I haven't heard a single one yet. I get around 60% religious wackos, 35% foreign stuff that I can't understand, and 5% "cool stuff" like numbers stations or conspiracy theorists.

So far my list of stuff I still badly want to hear goes like this:

- More numbers stations. I can't get enough of these.
- HAM operators
- Conspiracy theory nuts.
- English-spoken propaganda
- Pirate broadcasters. I'd love to hear some kickass home made radio station playing punk rock, heavy metal, and hardcore, DJ'd by a rad guy in his basement along the lines of Pump Up The Volume. Or just someone ranting about local government, or just rambling on.

Most of the time, I can't find anything wonderful to pick up so I just jump down to 980 and listen to Coast To Coast AM with a feeling of defeat. My Eton E5 skips too many frequencies with it's auto scan, and seems to stop on really weak signals and not stop on strong ones. :confused: Also, the lack of a "scan through my stored freq's" function is quite bothersome.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Proof that I have too much free time.

This is great.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Ok gang, I got all the materials to try and build the homebrew mag loop and I'm stuck.

I bought a cheap rear end am/fm radio for the tuning capacitor and I can't figure out how to get the drat thing off the circuit board. I've been trying to use my old crappy soldering gun to melt away the solder on the pins and tabs on the underside of the board and scraping it away as it cools with an x-acto knife. It's kind of working, but not really. What's the trick?

Or do I just keep at it hoping the trick is actually just patience?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

nmfree posted:

You may have to twist or bend the tabs after unsoldering, they're often used as mechanical support for the component as well as a solder point.

After looking again at the guide it looks as if I don't even need the stuff on the bottom of the capicitor. Can I just chop it all off from under the circuit board?

I'm retarded when it comes to electronics. This is my first project envolving this sort of stuff, not including when I tried soldering a 1/8" plug to a bunch of speaker wire (which didn't work for poo poo).

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
gently caress soldering. Really though, I just don't have anyone to teach me how to do it properly. :(

So I finally got that homebrew mag loop antenna built and whoa man is it ugly. But it works! It works very well I might add, but god drat is it ugly.

I can now consistently listen to Alex Jones if I'm lucky enough to find him. I don't get that "wave" of static that I used to get and I'm pulling in a lot more frequencies than I used to.

I'm still having zero luck finding HAM operators or numbers stations, but that's probably because I don't spend enough time playing with the radio. The only time I use mine is while going to sleep and I mainly just try a few of my known frequencies hoping for Alex or something else bizarre before settling on my local 980AM station for Coast To Coast AM.

Every once in a while I'll spin the dial hoping to land on something, but it's always either a crazy preacher or something in a foreign language that I don't understand and neither of those interest me very much. The crazy preacher bit is fun for a while, but it gets old pretty quick.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Jose Pointero posted:

Speaking of Alex, what is everyone's favorite "crazy people" show? This stuff is more entertaining than anything on TV and I'd like to find more.

Alex is the only crazy person I've found who isn't a preacher. I was hoping to find so much more.

Also, I still can't get Alex in with any regularity. They seem to switch frequencies - sometimes even announcing it seconds before hand, sometimes just disappearing - and times a lot and I have no idea if any of it is ever live or what. Fun when I can catch him though!

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Elijah posted:

Surely I'm just doing something incredibly stupid. Any ideas before I call customer service and embarrass myself?

You sure the volume is up? Your post made it sound like you could tune the frequency but you didn't hear anything.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

TimeLady posted:

Also I'm currently listening to Alex Jones on WWCR, 5.070 (I know that's not the actual frequency, but that's how I can tune it in on my new SWP).

http://infowars.com/listen.html posted:

Alex is rebroadcast on shortwave from midnight-3AM (CST) on 5.070, and from 9pm-midnight all three hours are on 5.765.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I'm thinking about getting another radio. My Eton E5 developed this weird sticky goo on the outer rubber/plastic casing and it's really gross.

Is there a nice new go-to beginner radio?

https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL880...shortwave+radio

Do any shortwave radios scan and stop when they find something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

I have a Grundig G6 that had the same sticky issue, rubbing alcohol cleaned it up good.

Tecsun seems to be the main brand now. I'm planning on eventually picking up a PL-880 myself.

I'm a stupid dumby. Will shortwave radios scan channels and stop if they find something? Kind of like how my car can find KFMW TODAYS HITS! radio? Or do I need to sit there and spin a dial through static until angry preacher man yells at me?

• Locked thread