Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

JammyLammy posted:

Stupid question, but I still haven't had a chance to buy a shortwave yet (need to pay off some debt first) but is there a website that can be used to scan frequencies? Not really the point of shortwave radio, but I wouldn't mind scanning around and hearing what can be heard until I finally get a real radio.

On a lighter note, I just found out my campus has a Amateur Radio club, so if you are at WVU I might see you there :iamafag:

Keep in mind that's going to be more Ham radio oriented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

nmfree posted:

I'm not trying to dissuade you from going, but if it's a class for the Technician exam there's not going to be much shortwave material covered, since Techs only get to operate on a tiny slice of HF. But, hey, go anyway, I could be completely wrong. v:shobon:v

Dude, whatever happened to good old fashioned bait and switch?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Catastrophe posted:

This will be a long shot but does anyone here know if there any stores in Philadelphia that sell shortwave radios? I want to find something locally rather than just order one off the Internet.

If there's a frys electronics in philadelphia, they have a decent selection.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Radio Nowhere posted:

I noticed the wiki listing for 4625 "The Buzzer" has a interesting update. Pretty strong evidence the signal is really nothing more then a propagation monitor used for research. Someone was able to find some pages of research detailing the signal. The government organization doing it is like our HAARP. The oddities of the open mike and occasional breaks remain. Or it's all a cover! :tinfoil:

So it's a soviet weather controlling earthquake machine :tinfoil:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

If you're cycling, I'd consider getting your ham radio license and buying a Yaesu VX-8R. It's small, light, and most importantly water resistant/submersible. I really only suggest that because of the water resistance, if you've got another way of keeping it dry, then the G6 might work out better.

You wouldn't be able to transmit in other countries without paperwork, but the wideband receive would work just fine, and has coverage from something stupid like 500khz- 1ghz or something.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

So I got tricked in to seeing the movie Divergent over the weekend. I can't seem to grab any good stills from the movie to demonstrate it, but all I could see was the russian woodpecker

Movie Still

Duga-3

(I swear it's easier to see in the movie, and yes I feel a bit of shame for noticing this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

The old farts around here like talking about the time they saw Floyd as well as replacement hips, obummer, and :siren:skywarn:siren:

Two outta four ain't bad when you consider the hail damage they saved my car over the years.

• Locked thread