Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

gay for gacha posted:

How can I play beat mania in 2023 if all I have is a MacBook and a steam deck?

If you’re okay with bms beatoraja is a Java based bms player that should work on everything. I don’t think it’s possible to get infinitas or ac data to work on Mac/linux in a satisfactory way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Booting into Windows is perfectly fine for data and how I do it, but that’s assuming it’s intel and not an m

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Beatoraja sounds good. Are there any cheaper iidx controllers that don't take months to ship?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

12 rats tied together posted:

Post your favorite charts and why ITT. :cheers:

Late to the party. I have been playing without me recording.

But I did get one that I feel has a very fun BGA as well as UCS by ITG.

ULTRA SYNERGY MATRIX S13(ITG)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsOnbzD0oD4

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i still remember the BOF when ultra synergy matrix dropped. still not sure how they managed to get that BGA

watho
Aug 2, 2013

no wait that's a different song this is a predecessor

watho
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IvwGGW7CpA

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Karameru has done quite a lot of amusing animations over the years, not just for rhythm games (the synergy matrix songs, acquire, etc.).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

single-mode fiber posted:

Karameru has done quite a lot of amusing animations over the years, not just for rhythm games (the synergy matrix songs, acquire, etc.).

oh yeah i am and was very familiar with karameru. i was just shocked to see their work in a non commercial rhythm game like that

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

watho posted:

i still remember the BOF when ultra synergy matrix dropped. still not sure how they managed to get that BGA

I do not want to call this out. But I am genuinely confused about what this post means.

What is BOF? And why was this managed to be a BGA?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Katamari Democracy posted:

I do not want to call this out. But I am genuinely confused about what this post means.

https://keysounds.net/bofguide/#whatisbms
It's an annual song+BGA+chart contest for BMS. A lot of now well-known composers (xi, mori mori atsushi, leaf, etc) originally gained prominence through it and a ton of song entries have made it into official rhythm games.

taser rates fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 14, 2024

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Katamari Democracy posted:

BOF is a yearly rhythm game music contest called the BMS of fighters. the BMS in BOF stands for Be-Music Source. it's an open file format standard for songs used by mostly Beatmania IIDX simulator games, most prominently Lunatic Rave 2 (very popular but old and unfinished due to the source code being lost) and Beatoraja (less popular and newer but also still in development). A lot of the biggest rhythm game songs have started out in BOF, songs like FREEDOM DiVE↓, Halcyon, GOODTEK, B.B.K.K.B.K.K, Pretty much everything Sakuzyo has made, etc.

BGA simply means background animation and it's the videos that play in the background when you play a song. they're a pretty big part of the BMS scene and some of the BMS songs are more famous for the video than the song itself.

the thing about BOF is that it is completely non-commercial. the games are free, the songs are free to download. it's a scene mostly built on people putting a lot of time and effort making music and videos and charts for no real financial incentive. People do commission work for use in BMS, but it's mostly for vocalists and the like.

this is all to say that a relatively unknown (at the very least to me) artist coming out and dropping such an iconic track with a BGA from someone i followed but wasn't connected to the scene was extremely memorable

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

watho posted:

BOF is a yearly rhythm game music contest called the BMS of fighters. --

Thank you for clearing this up. Im very interested in other rythm games and its always great to have some things explained to me.

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
Yeah the BOF simfiles, at least the ones that end up winning or scoring highly, have been scaling up in quality over the years to the point where they're better than a lot of the stuff Konami has been pushing out IMO. This site has a bunch of them and a lot of the artists even do full versions of their songs for the semi-yearly releases: https://gdbg.tv/

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Really basic question: do simfiles have keysounds like true IIDX?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Elephunk posted:

short answer: no

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Elephunk posted:

The really old school ones (like turn of the century basically) did. The effort to make a chart was so much higher, and simfiles these days are typically for like people that can clear at least mid-12 officials, so those would probably be a nightmare to keysound.

In other business, has anyone used one of the new Gamo2 Faucetwo controllers with Vakyrie knobs yet? Considering getting one, but i'd like to know how it compares to an actual valkyrie cab. I was grinding VF up to around Crimson after not playing for a few years, but it's a bit of a hassle to get down to the Round 1 around here.

I wanted to buy an SDVX cab for a while, but it sounds like it would be a nightmare to get it up to the proper specs to be equivalent to a Valkyrie cab, considering i'd need to replace all the buttons, the knobs, the PC, and the monitor. That's all just too much work. With a Faucetwo, i'd lose some money to the super inflated shipping cost since they aren't restocking their US stockhouse and don't plan to, but if it can be near to the Valk model machine, I'd be interested in picking one up.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

watho posted:

short answer: no

is this a “technically no” thing cause if you open up a lot of these zips theres a ton of samples in them? i dont know how it works or maybe what “simfiles” mean in this context

edit: as an example https://manbow.nothing.sh/event/event.cgi?action=More_def&num=29&event=110 just cause it came up quickly

thanks in advance

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Share Bear posted:

is this a “technically no” thing cause if you open up a lot of these zips theres a ton of samples in them? i dont know how it works or maybe what “simfiles” mean in this context

edit: as an example https://manbow.nothing.sh/event/event.cgi?action=More_def&num=29&event=110 just cause it came up quickly

thanks in advance

BMS are not simfiles simfiles are pretty specifically stepmania. maybe the person asking was using it incorrectly in which case yes BMS files are almost exclusively keysounded

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ah yeah ok its my bad, thanks

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

watho posted:

BMS are not simfiles simfiles are pretty specifically stepmania. maybe the person asking was using it incorrectly in which case yes BMS files are almost exclusively keysounded

How are BMS files not simfiles?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Dewgy posted:

It's pretty much a community nomenclature thing; No one in the bms world calls them simfiles, because those are for stepmania, and vice versa. They're technically very similar but you will confuse the hell out of people if you use one when referring to the other.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Dewgy posted:

in the same way a jpg is not a png. different things have different names

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

HKR posted:

It's pretty much a community nomenclature thing; No one in the bms world calls them simfiles, because those are for stepmania, and vice versa. They're technically very similar but you will confuse the hell out of people if you use one when referring to the other.

It’s a file for a simulator, the distinction here seems like it’s more confusing than the problem it supposedly fixes.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Dewgy posted:

It’s a file for a simulator, the distinction here seems like it’s more confusing than the problem it supposedly fixes.

...what are you talking about? Stepmania sim creators and bms creators are two pretty separate communities who have 20+ years of their own history and terms. They're also two different formats for charting. Here's a small chunk of a bms file:

code:
#01001:4900473W
#01001:00
#01001:57005650
#01012:00EM0000000000ES
#01013:0M0M0M0M
#01015:0000EN0000EQ0000
#01018:EL0000EO00000000
#01019:0000EPER
and here's a small chunk of a sim file:

code:
It's pretty simple to understand and I'm not sure why you're trying to argue this point when there's no real confusion?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Those sure are files for simulators, yes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here but i just truly don't understand what you're getting at? people outside the stepmania community do not use the term simfile and if someone asks for a simfile they are asking specifically for a stepmania chart, it's not generic terminology

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

watho posted:

i'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here but i just truly don't understand what you're getting at? people outside the stepmania community do not use the term simfile and if someone asks for a simfile they are asking specifically for a stepmania chart, it's not generic terminology

I’ve been in and around the Bemani community for coming up on 20 years and this discussion is literally the first time I’ve ever heard anyone try to claim that BMS files aren’t “simfiles”, so it’s a little odd!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Probably time to move on from this, as going in circles arguing about what is and is not a sim file isn't going anywhere. The question was answered, this is just petty now.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

The really old school ones (like turn of the century basically) did. The effort to make a chart was so much higher, and simfiles these days are typically for like people that can clear at least mid-12 officials, so those would probably be a nightmare to keysound.

In other business, has anyone used one of the new Gamo2 Faucetwo controllers with Vakyrie knobs yet? Considering getting one, but i'd like to know how it compares to an actual valkyrie cab. I was grinding VF up to around Crimson after not playing for a few years, but it's a bit of a hassle to get down to the Round 1 around here.

I wanted to buy an SDVX cab for a while, but it sounds like it would be a nightmare to get it up to the proper specs to be equivalent to a Valkyrie cab, considering i'd need to replace all the buttons, the knobs, the PC, and the monitor. That's all just too much work. With a Faucetwo, i'd lose some money to the super inflated shipping cost since they aren't restocking their US stockhouse and don't plan to, but if it can be near to the Valk model machine, I'd be interested in picking one up.

Valk-itising a Nemsys cab is a bit of work but it can be broken down into simple steps done in any order at any time. Assuming this is a VVW or later cab and not something older, you’re looking at:
-Replacing buttons springs and switches are mostly* the same as on an ASC, if they aren’t outright garbage you can just play on them and later replace if you think it needs it (*Cabs should have an “integrated” switch which is a single assembly of switch and connector that mounts directly to the button, so it’s even easier to take switches in and out and not have 4 quick disconnects each to deal with)
-New knobs for cabs can be bought from speedypotato’s shop which is in the US
-New Valkyrie Clone mechanical assemblies for the knobs (which give them their feel when spinning) can be bought from speedypotato’s shop, you transplant your existing potentiometer (cabs use an infinite turn pot to read rotation) or opt to buy new ones
-You can reuse the existing PC and replace just the GPU for 120hz, 120hz will actually run on the stock GPU but a small handful of songs with a lot of graphical stuff happens cause frame drops. Note that depending on what you do for a server the admins may not approve of using this PC but I don’t think people doing this care for the most part
-For the monitor, there’s a cheap 32” 1080p monitor supporting 120hz people usually get from Costco. The front acrylic panel needs to come off the machine, some parts removed from inside by unscrewing and unplugging things, and the old monitor is now out. You can use a desk clamp mount style VESA arm to mount the new monitor by clamping it into the cab and aligning it in front. I think some people may have or be working on designs for laser cut or 3D printed stuff to mount it more cleanly, but basically everyone is using the desk clamp thing.

There’s also a very simple big upgrade in replacing the main speakers with better speakers which really helps if you don’t exclusively play with headphones, quieter fans can be installed, you can buy replacement LED strips if the colors are funny, some people are changing parts extensively and adding screens to have a cab that behaved exactly like a Valkyrie cab without any hacks (not at all needed if you’re doing the above), etc, all optional stuff but there’s a lot you can do with these.

DanAdamKOF fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 19, 2024

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

BabyRyoga posted:

I have one, IMO the knobs feel pretty much the same as an actual valkyrie cabinet. I can only play stuff up to 16s though so maybe it's different for the higher difficulties that have a lot more laser movement.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 19, 2024

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I swear this game cures my depression sometimes.

Children of the Dark S15(ITG)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHOdquKO-70

Maniac S15(ITG)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sn9IrhSHiw

I feel great about passing these two at this level. Though the stamina stuff from ITG was always a bit much even for me. I do feel like I'm getting tight muscles on my hands though.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

https://x.com/danadamkof/status/1750767846018474116?s=46&t=B4qLSe2ummTbEtvMzIyGpA

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

https://x.com/danadamkof/status/1751837479416521041?s=46&t=B4qLSe2ummTbEtvMzIyGpA

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

sorry missed the streams. whats your dans?

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

https://x.com/danadamkof/status/1752929975836283280?s=46&t=B4qLSe2ummTbEtvMzIyGpA

Share Bear posted:

sorry missed the streams. whats your dans?
Currently SP 8Dan and I think DP 1Kyu or maybe not even. I have gotten 9Dan in the past on Pendual and Copula, I’d like to again one day.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

https://x.com/danadamkof/status/1753274456896831817?s=46&t=B4qLSe2ummTbEtvMzIyGpA

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DanAdamKOF posted:

Currently SP 8Dan and I think DP 1Kyu or maybe not even. I have gotten 9Dan in the past on Pendual and Copula, I’d like to again one day.

Good stuff. I'm pretty much hard-locked into SP 6Dan until I can get back into regular practice.

I'm happy that I can still clear 9's and a couple easy 10's while rusty! :v:

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

https://x.com/danadamkof/status/1753672710981628405?s=46&t=B4qLSe2ummTbEtvMzIyGpA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Whee the Ruler Or Loser IIDX tournament was fun.

I did not make it out of qualifiers (and given the competition I don’t think I had a chance to even if I had the plays of my life on each chart), however, I like how I did and I am pretty sure I could not have gotten those scores without the practice sessions leading up to it. And my mindset when playing was not nervous or anything. I just hit the keys the same as always.

There were some amazing ties and upsets and extremely close matches. With the difficulty only going as high as level 10, more people were competitive at getting really high scores. I recorded a bunch of random footage (including the moment of the exact EX score tie) and I’ll upload some to my Twitter soon if anyone is interested.