Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Yes please! It would be nice to see some American tournament footage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

https://x.com/danadamkof/status/1754757138692591951?s=46&t=B4qLSe2ummTbEtvMzIyGpA

midwifecrisis posted:

Yes please! It would be nice to see some American tournament footage

I’ll shout out here when I do!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I have a new player best on what song that is absolutely stupid and follows different rules than PIU:

Ill try to do this again but better but in a video. Keep in mind the song is five minutes long and its an endurance song and this song gave me nightmares for years. But I got a passed "A" so I am proud of this.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
Dance Cube - Out of Time (12) All Perfect

Level 12 songs aren't particularly difficult but it's relatively rare to AP this one. It's often used as a practice/introductory song for rotating trills (I guess that's what they'd be called in English?), which become a fundamental building block of higher level charts although a huge proportion of players never quite get the hang of them. You have to switch hand positions when you see the double blue notes coming such that the first blue is hit by the trailing hand and the second blue is hit by the leading hand at the start of a new bar. For newer players it's incredibly hard to spot and react to these correctly, and the hand positioning can still be a little tough even if you're anticipating them (lots of hands clashing into each other). Adding to the difficulty here, sometimes the trills rotate so far that your hands cross, e.g. right hand is on the leftmost key while the left hand is on the bottom left key, which is slightly further to the right. In these situations it's easy to get your hands jumbled up and you also have to be careful not to block your vision of the screen with your arms.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
Dance Cube - INSANE (12) All Perfect

I like this song a lot. It just got added in the February 2024 monthly update. I got the world's first perfects on the easy and intermediate charts but someone beat me to the hard chart (which is this one in the vid). The update dropped in the middle of Chinese New Year when everyone was on holiday so there were more people than normal racing for the first kills this month.

It's pushing the limits towards being a level 13 chart IMO. It has some complex rhythms but the majority of the chart is quite slow.

Slides are nuanced tech in this game and I'll talk about them some other time, but I want to point out that in this chart the slides are actually made of very short hold notes. Holds have incredibly lenient timing requirements so very short holds are often used in easier charts like this as a way of softening up harder tech like slides.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I got two SMX stages for DDR/ITG but they don't have start/select buttons. I was thinking it'd great if I had just some bluetooth buttons I could adhere to the front to make my own but I'm having a ton of trouble finding something. I just need a single button, something like this, that can be mapped to a keyboard key. Any ideas?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

If you have Discord, there's people in the official SMX server who have created a simple button setup that's basically like the old ITG2 dedicabs, which they use in a KVM setup. So they use those buttons when they play Stepmania, and just use the SMX touchscreen UI for when playing SMX. They could probably tell you how they pulled it off.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Anyone here running a touch screen monitor for their :filez: and can provide a model? I’d like one that works with IIDX and SDVX if possible. Decided I should stop drooling over cabs and just make a dedicated setup so why not go all out? And what about an NFC reader for carding in?

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
Dance Cube - Dirty Mind (15) All Perfect

15s are usually more rhythmically complex but this one makes up for it in note density. The gimmick for this chart becomes clear pretty quickly - it's all double notes and you can get real tired real quick.

The chart itself doesn't require any difficult movements except for a few times when you'll want to switch hand positions. At 1:20 for instance, my right hand is on the lower left key for 2 hits but then I move my left hand there for the next hit so that the right hand is available to hit the top right button. It's not strictly necessary to do this but it's helpful to keep your arms uncrossed if possible.

1:27 has a tough section as well with 3 beats on the 3 right buttons. I think that might just be a "me" problem though, something about that pattern trips me up.

This is an old chart that can be considered a precursor to modern Exertion charts, which I have opinions on, but I'll talk about those another time.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

holefoods posted:

Anyone here running a touch screen monitor for their :filez: and can provide a model? I’d like one that works with IIDX and SDVX if possible. Decided I should stop drooling over cabs and just make a dedicated setup so why not go all out? And what about an NFC reader for carding in?

I got a Dell P2418HT used on Amazon for like $200 and you can see how it looks with my setup in my post here, with the understanding that the cable management is now significantly better. For IIDX and SDVX I'd say just get the cheapest 24" touch monitor you can find used online, but if you wanted something to play actual touchscreen based rhythm games with you'd probably want to look for something that has a decent polling rate.

EDIT also if you have a tablet you can use that as a subscreen as well depending on how you're running said :filez:

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 4, 2024

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hey all - I'm one of the developers for ITL2024. We're revealing the event this afternoon and we have tons of awesome stuff to show you.

March 8, 2024 4:00 PST/7:00 EST @ https://twitch.tv/teejusb

Wether you're an ITG expert or just got your first home pad, this event is for you! Welcoming players of all skill levels, all you need is a pad and a Groovestats account to get started. Come stop by the stream where we will explain the event rules and show off new features for 2024.

I'm happy to field any questions here as well, so don't be shy.

ITL is the best part of the entire year - we hope you all join!

Check https://itc.dance/ for our Discord and more information.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

garfield hentai posted:

I got a Dell P2418HT used on Amazon for like $200 and you can see how it looks with my setup in my post here, with the understanding that the cable management is now significantly better. For IIDX and SDVX I'd say just get the cheapest 24" touch monitor you can find used online, but if you wanted something to play actual touchscreen based rhythm games with you'd probably want to look for something that has a decent polling rate.

EDIT also if you have a tablet you can use that as a subscreen as well depending on how you're running said :filez:

I ended up getting this guy off of Amazon before you posted because the price was great, as I just wanted one for subscreen use. It's a bit dim compared to my main monitor but it does the job well and for a nice price.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

updated inf is decent though i heard of people having bugs on amd hardware

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

how does infinitas still not have notes radar

like this update was needed and all and it's nice to see things brought up to the standard of 2017 but come on

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah the lack of the notes radar is lame, but I’m going to assume it’s going to be added eventually. 1080p looks good on my 1440p screen.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
Dance Cube - The Edge (15) All Perfect

It's pretty easy until it's not.

The main roadblock is the double rapid rotations, in particular the one at 1:22 which not only gives you no time to prepare for it like the others, it's a full 6 key rotation on the right hand starting on a crossover to the far left key while your left hand is locked in on a hold note. That's an order of magnitude harder than anything else in here.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
I play at Round1 MPM and the SDVX valkyrie machine has been down since late december, just found out its because someone stole the USB security dongle out of the cab. dunno why beacuse I'm not reading any of that discord screenshot nonsense, just putting this out there in case there are other MPM regulars

https://twitter.com/pikwetti/status/1770505827436077403

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

You can bet that pk and Karina are both hosed

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
Dance Cube - But I Like This (15) All Perfect

Dance Cube has been collaborating with a label called 尘音文化 / Chen Ing lately, adding one or two of their songs with every monthly update. The label is based in Harbin and has a lot of Chinese and Russian electronic producers making really cool rhythm gamey music. Most of the songs are insane level 19 charts that I'll never be able to perfect but this is a nice and chill level 15.

The main feature is the spins into jacks. There are no training wheels on the spins here, it's actually all just regular notes that happen to be in a spin pattern, so you have to hit each of them with perfect timing just like any other note. This is one of the reasons why spins are significantly harder in this game compared to maimai. Another reason is that there is no touchscreen here and no plastic edges to guide your hand. You have to be able to do a freeform circle in the air with your hand while accounting for the friction and delay in timing that comes when your hand impacts with the individual buttons.

Normally you would separate the spins into left and right sides and switch hands mid-spin as appropriate but I wanted to do the entire spins one handed. I screwed up on the second spin though.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

the mickey mouse gloves are cool

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
I wear two pairs of gloves at once to protect my delicate baby hands :(

No matter how careful you are, you WILL absolutely mangle yourself when you first start playing this or maimai. Turns out that mashing your hands against hard plastic for several hours is highly conducive to bruising.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i know people use them w popn, but pros seem to make due without. i wonder what about maimais cab design button/switch makes it worse

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lavatein posted:

I wear two pairs of gloves at once to protect my delicate baby hands :(

No matter how careful you are, you WILL absolutely mangle yourself when you first start playing this or maimai. Turns out that mashing your hands against hard plastic for several hours is highly conducive to bruising.

Psh.. what a nerd

Now watch me flail around at DDR and get way too sweaty doing like.. 9s like the very cool guy that I am

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Share Bear posted:

i know people use them w popn, but pros seem to make due without. i wonder what about maimais cab design button/switch makes it worse

it's mainly a reduction of friction thing since you end up sweeping between buttons a lot

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I wear gloves while playing Pump for safety reasons. Sweat + gripping the bar without them is no fun and excess energy wasted during performance.

There is no shame in wearing gloves.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

yeah I really need to get some gloves, I slipped extremely hard on this one the other day but luckily caught myself, lots of back and forth:

https://youtu.be/iyOB7wjIrlk?si=_DMrek4yEqooG4jE

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

There is no shame in wearing gloves.

Agreed yeah :hai:

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Potassium Problems posted:

I play at Round1 MPM and the SDVX valkyrie machine has been down since late december, just found out its because someone stole the USB security dongle out of the cab. dunno why beacuse I'm not reading any of that discord screenshot nonsense, just putting this out there in case there are other MPM regulars

https://twitter.com/pikwetti/status/1770505827436077403

I'm late to this but as somebody who used to regular at MPM, this sucks.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

there's for sure no shame in wearing gloves but also if you're playing chunithm or maimai and you're not wearing gloves you should definitely get on that it makes a big difference

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's kind of crazy to me that this thread is almost 20 years old now.

Also a little bit depressing going back and reading about all the stuff we've lost. Programmed World, Tokyo Attack. Those were some good times. I guess various alternatives have arisen since then but I've kind of aged out of the scene at this point.

I did play some IIDX when I was in Japan recently and I think there's a Round One near me as well. Still fun although I mostly try for AAAs on 8s and 9s these days.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'd argue IIDX (and Bemani in general) is more accessible than it's ever been, certainly the most since the PS2 era.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

holy poo poo this thread predates loving DJ Troopers

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The Konaste home releases definitely have made Bemani more accessable. It was a rough start for Infinitas in particular, but it limped along enough to be worth the price of the subscription, IMO.

e: ^ Lmao, apparently back in 2008 in this thread I was asking about getting Magic Swap working on the PS2. Definitely don't miss that.

mes fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 2, 2024

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah it whips i love having a just slightly out of date arcade version at home

the disparity between old cs and ac used to be insane; and they hated doing cs versions (poor LED)

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

watho posted:

holy poo poo this thread predates loving DJ Troopers

drat I posted a whole lot in 2008. I miss this game. Never got the USKOC to work right on PC with a converter. Bad polling rate or something

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Share Bear posted:

yeah it whips i love having a just slightly out of date arcade version at home

the disparity between old cs and ac used to be insane; and they hated doing cs versions (poor LED)

which is kinda funny because some of the best songs were cs exclusive. some still are!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

empress cs is the best iidx

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Currently in Louisville KY and got a few rounds at Pump it Up at this Round1 near a mall (Sorry, not from around here).

I am officially getting old. I got winded by a D18. :(

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Currently in Louisville KY and got a few rounds at Pump it Up at this Round1 near a mall (Sorry, not from around here).

when DDR A came out, me and a bunch of friends I met playing DDR 3rd/4th style were hyped about DDR again but we all very quickly remembered we were no longer in our early 20s lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Jefferson Mall. That Round 1 is closing this month, RIP