Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Kinda-OT but does anyone here play Pop n' Music? 14 CS is out in a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

DiscoJ posted:

Kinda-OT but does anyone here play Pop n' Music? 14 CS is out in a couple weeks.

Soon as I fall into a small fortune - which won't be too long considering my enlistment bonuses and backpay for my rank during bootcamp - I'm gonna go apeshit and get in on Pop n'.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Up Yours Pal! posted:

wheeeeennnnnnnn is it coming out

According to the website, August 30th.

http://www.konami.jp/bemani/bm2dx/gs/13distorted/

Onion Rings posted:

Anyone know of any cabinets around DC? I'm willing to drive a few hours in any direction as well so any suggestions for cities around are also acceptable.

Eight on the Break in New Jersey? I'm not familiar with that area, but that and Tokyo Game Action are the only places I can think of.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Oh dear. That is not quite the news I had been hoping for. Oh well.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Yeah, I'm sure somebody from that area can step in and recommend some better locations. I'm from Texas so I only know of the 3 machines that used to be in the state that have disappeared.

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.
So guys, DJ Taka's first album Milestone is out in Japan today. Does anyone out there have any impressions on it yet? My friend has it ordered and we're dying just waiting for it to arrive.

CD 1:
Quickening
Tomorrow Perfume -vocal version- feat.vocal AiMEE
Votum stellarum -forest #25 RMX-
ABSOLUTE 2007
V -conclusion-
pandora -English version- feat.vocal Erika Mochizuki
thunder
snow storm -original mix-
AA
INORI
Blue Rain dj TAKA VS Ryu☆
lower world
Frozen Ray
One More Lovely -after hours-

CD2:
L.E.D. / spiral galaxy -L.E.D. STYLE SPREADING PARTICLE BEAM MIX-
Ryu☆ / THE SAFARI -Ryu☆remix-
kors k / Don't Stop!-kors k mix-
DJ YOSHITAKA / I'm In Love Again -DJ YOSHITAKA REMIX-
Sota Fujimori / Rainbow Flyer -In The Dream Mix-
Remo-con / Giudecca -Remo-con RMX size M-
少年ラジオ(wac) / A -少年A-
AKIRA YAMAOKA / MOON -Sun Mix-
TOMOSUKE / こっちを向いてよ -midnight jazzin' mix-
good-cool / memories -still remain mix-
Osamu Kubota / 嘆きの樹 Arbre triste -a la viennoise-
dj nagureo / GRADIUSIC CYBER -Vic Viper born duv-
NAOKI underground / Tangerine Stream -The catastrophe-
TaQ / Colors -InPhase mix-

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I heard that the One More Lovely remake was amazing, but otherwise I'm still waiting for my copy to come in.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
I am another one who bought beatmania US with controller for real cheap at target - anyone know where I can get another controller like that without spending over $40? The controller is actually really nice after you stick wax paper under the record :I

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I gotta run to Detroit, there is a machine at an arcade on the outskirts.

Question about the IIDX machines - is there a headphone jack on the machines like they did with Beatmania III?

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

kimcicle posted:

Yeah, I'm sure somebody from that area can step in and recommend some better locations. I'm from Texas so I only know of the 3 machines that used to be in the state that have disappeared.

Seriously? I'm from TX as well... are there any locations in the state? I travel through most of it quite a bit.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
The closest IIDX machine to DC is in fact in New Jersey. Sucks, but for the high number of IIDX players around there, there's not a single machine to be found within 4 hours.

bieber the creator
Sep 24, 2003

craving wonton soup irl

Three-Phase posted:

I gotta run to Detroit, there is a machine at an arcade on the outskirts.

Question about the IIDX machines - is there a headphone jack on the machines like they did with Beatmania III?

I've seen them rigged up from somewhere inside the machine, but there is no external jack as far as I'm aware.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

apd posted:

I've seen them rigged up from somewhere inside the machine, but there is no external jack as far as I'm aware.

I wonder if there are jacks on the back. I know on some of Konami's DDR machines there are audio/video jacks on the back of the system.

Possible idea:

RCA output jack - mixer - headphones. (You'd need to bring the mixer and headphones.)

Playing on a loud machine would be awesome. I've played ITG before on a machine that was incredibly loud. My ears were ringing after playing.

Tripred
Nov 25, 2004

Deals in quack, not opinion.

Onion Rings posted:

Seriously? I'm from TX as well... are there any locations in the state? I travel through most of it quite a bit.

The various CyberZones in Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio all should have a IIDX machine. I know the SAT locations do, and I know the owner of CyberZone tries to put as many bemani games as he can in all of his arcades. (SAT has 2 DDR, a IIDX, a ParaPara, and GuitarFreaks; and this is one of his lovely locations. The last time I went to his Richardson, TX arcade he had all that plus drum mania, the one with the hand sensors, and a PIU.)

that tetris guy
Mar 7, 2005

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!!
I'm only aware of two IIDX machines in Texas:

The 7th style that was at Cyberzone at Richardson Square Mall - it's gone.
The 8th style that was at Animation Town at Irving Mall, then moved to The Anime Store in Arlington - it's gone too.

There's no more IIDX in Texas that I'm aware of.
What style is the one in San Antonio?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Three-Phase posted:

Playing on a loud machine would be awesome. I've played ITG before on a machine that was incredibly loud. My ears were ringing after playing.

IIDX machines can be very, very loud. they're just turned down in most cases as to not drown out other games. hell, even DDR machines can be pretty loud on their own.

Disco Duck
Jul 30, 2004

by mons noobis

Zand posted:

I am another one who bought beatmania US with controller for real cheap at target - anyone know where I can get another controller like that without spending over $40? The controller is actually really nice after you stick wax paper under the record :I

Just find someone selling the bundle used online. I got mine for 25$ off ebay even though I only wanted the controller.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm getting better, but I still can't pass "Be Quiet" or "Second Heaven" on L7.

enojy posted:

IIDX machines can be very, very loud. they're just turned down in most cases as to not drown out other games. hell, even DDR machines can be pretty loud on their own.

The worst part is when some idiot operator almost completely mutes the volume. That sucks.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 2, 2007

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Where I'm from the DDR machines usually have the treble cranked through the roof and the bass completely muted. Wonderful gameplay experience THAT makes ... (if you don't mind lovely pads on most machines too)

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

I wonder if there are jacks on the back. I know on some of Konami's DDR machines there are audio/video jacks on the back of the system.

Possible idea:

RCA output jack - mixer - headphones. (You'd need to bring the mixer and headphones.)

I've seen a setup like that for a beatmania IIDX 8th style machine. Bringing in your own headphones rocked to play. Alas, there is no external plug for headphones. I had completely forgotten about that, I'm going to bring headphones the next time I play beatmania III.

Tripred posted:

The various CyberZones in Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio all should have a IIDX machine. I know the SAT locations do, and I know the owner of CyberZone tries to put as many bemani games as he can in all of his arcades. (SAT has 2 DDR, a IIDX, a ParaPara, and GuitarFreaks; and this is one of his lovely locations. The last time I went to his Richardson, TX arcade he had all that plus drum mania, the one with the hand sensors, and a PIU.)

Oh jeeze, you're behind on the time. There are no more CyberZone locations in Austin (hell, I'm pretty sure they never had any there) or San Antonio. The ones in the DFW area (Richardson, Town East, and Valley View) all had shut down, but the Valley View location has just re-opened. Right now they have DDR Extreme, DDR 5th Mix, beatmania III 7th Mix, Dance ManiaX 2nd Mix J-Append, and Guitar Freaks 7th. Half of which are barely working.

Onion Rings posted:

Right now . . not really. There's a beatmania III machine at Valley View Mall in Dallas that has a messed up monitor, and that's about it.

Tripred
Nov 25, 2004

Deals in quack, not opinion.

kimcicle posted:

Oh jeeze, you're behind on the time. There are no more CyberZone locations in Austin (hell, I'm pretty sure they never had any there) or San Antonio. The ones in the DFW area (Richardson, Town East, and Valley View) all had shut down, but the Valley View location has just re-opened. Right now they have DDR Extreme, DDR 5th Mix, beatmania III 7th Mix, Dance ManiaX 2nd Mix J-Append, and Guitar Freaks 7th. Half of which are barely working.

Oh I see; I didn't know Jason was shutting down his arcades. That's too bad. I haven't seen or talked to him in like 3 or 4 years so v:shobon:v.

I just assumed he was still doing well and keeping his arcades packed full of sweaty bemani nerds.

that tetris guy
Mar 7, 2005

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!!

kimcicle posted:

Right now . . not really. There's a beatmania III machine at Valley View Mall in Dallas that has a messed up monitor, and that's about it.
Looks like the Main Event in Fort Worth still has its beatmania III 7th as well.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DiscoJ posted:

gently caress yheah i play the pop'n music

Zand posted:

there's ebay like someone else mentioned, and EB/gamestop as well. if you find a bundle there it'll be $29.99, and you can open the box and resell them the game for like $6 i think.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Beatmania III is pretty cool.

I'm waiting for Beatmania IV.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Beatmania III is pretty cool.

I'm waiting for Beatmania IV.

That's like waiting for Street Fighter IV.

Why the hell make it when you can repackage previous iterations and still get nerds to buy them?

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003
Just got back from Bemanifest last night, and it was loving amazing. The Kors K concert was just as great as it was last year, and he played some stuff for us this year that no one outside of Konami has even heard yet. They pretty much swore us to secrecy on the songlist, but one of the tracks is going to be in the next arcade IIDX :)

Here's Kors K and his fiance, Rie.

I didn't really play that much IIDX all week because the lines were just way too drat long, but I got a lot of Drummania in. GOLD was fantastic as usual, and there were some guys there this year that were just way too good at the game. Jaydin (dj HOOD from VJArmy) was there, and pretty much wiped the floor with everyone in the tournament.

To top it off, I came home to seeing that the GOLD OST and the Taka Milestone album both came out while we were gone so I've been listening to both of those since I got back. The Milestone album is fantastic - There's not a single track on it that I don't like. He took all of his best stuff, re-mastered them all and lengthened them to full-size tracks. 5-minute mix of Thunder? :hellyeah:

I haven't gotten through all of the GOLD OST yet, but what I've heard so far is really good. The game line-out MP3s don't do the soundtrack justice at all.

Also, IIDX machines don't come naturally with headphone jacks, but it's a piece of cake to just wire in a headphone jack to one of the speakers by cutting off the end and splicing in the wires to the back of one of them. If you have a pair of headphones with volume control, it works wonders.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

As much as I want to play an arcade version of Beatmania, the idea that I'd be playing so poorly in front of dozens of other people who are basically waiting for me the hurry the hell up and get my crappy B score kinda puts a damper on it.

I prefer to suck in privacy. :shobon:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Up Yours Pal! posted:

As much as I want to play an arcade version of Beatmania, the idea that I'd be playing so poorly in front of dozens of other people who are basically waiting for me the hurry the hell up and get my crappy B score kinda puts a damper on it.

You'd be surprised, a lot of the people playing weren't very good. The difference in the feel of the keys and the amazing sound system is why people play in the arcade, and nobody expects you to be a master.

Plus nobody laughs like they do when they see someone loving up Light on DDR. IIDX players all seem to remember how long it took them to get as good as they are. :)

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Ohhhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I've just had the most amazing experience with Beatmania.

Okay, so yesterday I'm hooking up my crappy old PS2 to play some Beatmania, when I notice that there's no sound coming out of the left channel. I test the AV cable on another PS2 and, yep, it's the cable, not the system or the TV.

So I go to Circuit City and pick up a cheap multi-system replacement. Comes with an S-Video plug, but I pretty much ignore it.

I'm talking to my brother on the phone and I tell him about getting my replacement cable, and he tells me the old TV in his bedroom has an S-Video input.

At his urging, I hook up the PS2 to it. And hells loving yes it's a leap in quality from standard to S-Video. Everything's sharp, the colors don't bleed. Very nice.

And then I notice there's a headphone jack in the front of the TV.

I grab a set of nice headphones I keep around and plug them in.

And I play Beatmania for the first loving time again.

God drat this game is loving awesome when you've got even a half-way decent setup like I do. I always found the effector annoying and not very useful, but when I set it to Surround 2 and use those headphones, holy poo poo I can feel the loving bass skullfucking me. Finally the music isn't dull or muffled; it's loud and vibrant. I'm hearing all the music again for the first time. The videos aren't muddy; they're brilliant and sharp.

Swear to god, the minute I get out of boot camp and get my own apartment, I'm going to blow so much cash on getting a nice TV, some killer headphones, and a proper arcade-style controller.

Oh man, it's a whole new loving game for me.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
I just realized I've got a controller (no game, controller only) from the US release just sitting in my closet.

Anyone need a spare or replacement controller?

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Up Yours Pal! posted:

Ohhhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I've just had the most amazing experience with Beatmania.

See if you can find somewhere to play it with component inputs and a nice high-quality sound system. The jump from S-video to component is even higher :)

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Hey a beatmania thread.

So who likes Slake's music?

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

SirSlarty posted:

Hey a beatmania thread.

Slake? Slake? SLAAAAAAAAAKE

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I don't know about Slake, but TAKA is a loving god. It's not like I see his name on a song and be positively biased towards the music, because it seems like every time I find a new song I like by a new artist, it's another one of his loving aliases. Amuro, DJ Setup, Risk Junk, they're all him, and when I found that out was one of the most :psypop: moments of my life.

So yeah, Milestone, I'm pretty loving happy.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

I'm pretty much gay for TaQ, myself.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
HARD GAY for Ryu's stuff. (Screw the haters, I really liked Second Heaven.) Slake... not so much at all. I like Good-Cool, Tash, and Naoki's eurobeat stuff.

I need to get a new pair of monitors (headphones) for IIDX. This drat game is going to make me deaf.

ASIDE:
drat, it's too bad we can't rotate the thread title, I thought I saw this done a long time ago, it's too bad we can't. "The Beatmania IIDX Thread (Speedy rike a friar)"

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 4, 2007

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Slake is amazing when he either remixes things or doesn't call himself Slake. There's a lot of good SPARKER songs, and he's done some awesome work for Pop'n Music, too.

I gotta say though, I'm definitely happy that Asaki is playing around outside of GF/DM and IIDX and Pop'n get to reap the benefits. :)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dewgy posted:

I gotta say though, I'm definitely happy that Asaki is playing around outside of GF/DM and IIDX and Pop'n get to reap the benefits. :)

me too it's just a shame that for whatever reason asaki put the most god-awful piece of poo poo anti-song in GOLD as his iidx debut (the one he's credited for, not "four leaf clover".)

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Up Yours Pal! posted:

Dude, trust me. I would punch the first person to make fun of somebody that wasn't good at IIDX. It takes a lot of time and practice to get even remotely "good", and most people remember that. It's all about having fun, really. Hell, I'd play some non-battle 2p with people if I had the chance.

SirSlarty posted:

Hey a beatmania thread.

Oh hay I think I know you. :v: On topic, Slake's album is actually pretty good IMO.

Up Yours Pal! posted:

I'm pretty much gay for TaQ, myself.

I wish he would come back to IIDX. WE MISS YOU TAQ.

I'm a pretty big fan of Taka, Sota, and Ryu*. I'm also taking a pretty big liking to Tatsh too. Red Zone / Sphere made IIDX RED so awesome for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
This thread reminds me, I need to order a copy of Stromatolite. Seven-minute Innocent Walls, friends. It doesn't get much better than that.