Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
NahaNaha vs. Gattchoon Battle needs to be revived for IIDX. That's all I really have to contribute here, because I'm a Pop'n man. v:)v

(Plus I'm waiting for a custom ASC to play doubles with. :3: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Disco Duck posted:

Does anyone know of any arcades in NYC that have IIDX machines?

And the best song in any Beatmania game is Poodle, hands down.

You could either go to TGA (highly recommended) or go south into Jersey and check out 8 on the Break. They have a pisspoor 8th cab, which I can attest to the fact that it sucks hard, but they just got themselves a DistorteD and a Pop'n Fever, so I'm gonna check them out tomorrow and see if they're any good. :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kimcicle posted:

FISH STYLE~

At least he can get the last couple out somewhat coherently.

Hahaha, oh man, that 8th style machine was total crap. Or, as I like to think of it, the beatmania IIDX PREX DX machine. I'm sure if the screen was in better shape it would have been better, but just the distance was horrible. Hell, I failed B4U 14 key on that thing, and that never happens to me.

Hahaha, they still have that pile of garbage, but the DistorteD has a new monitor and is fairly nice. I managed to get through four of the five songs of the Cardinal Gate course (Hyper) and I completely blow at IIDX so that should tell you something. Their Pop'n cab is also in really nice condition and the volume for it is amazing. :D

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Three-Phase posted:

Is that a front-projector screen?

Yeah, from a Pump It Up cabinet. It looks like poo poo, haha. Like I said though, their DD cab runs on a normal IIDX monitor.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Up Yours Pal! posted:

As much as I want to play an arcade version of Beatmania, the idea that I'd be playing so poorly in front of dozens of other people who are basically waiting for me the hurry the hell up and get my crappy B score kinda puts a damper on it.

I prefer to suck in privacy. :shobon:

You'd be surprised, a lot of the people playing weren't very good. The difference in the feel of the keys and the amazing sound system is why people play in the arcade, and nobody expects you to be a master.

Plus nobody laughs like they do when they see someone loving up Light on DDR. IIDX players all seem to remember how long it took them to get as good as they are. :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Slake is amazing when he either remixes things or doesn't call himself Slake. There's a lot of good SPARKER songs, and he's done some awesome work for Pop'n Music, too.

I gotta say though, I'm definitely happy that Asaki is playing around outside of GF/DM and IIDX and Pop'n get to reap the benefits. :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

rabidkimba posted:

Slake's 5-key stuff? Like Higher?

SODA, DENIM, 22DUNK, the 6th Mix intro music, stuff like that. :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Hate to break it to you but Ransais aren't being made any more. :/

If you really want one you can check around on the Ransai forums and find someone who doesn't feel like waiting for their any more, but apart from that I've heard really good things about the DJ Dao ASCs.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sam Handwich posted:

Fuuuuuck, no original Star Trek theme? Nyami in an uncle sam outfit was badass too.

Haha welcome to 8CS, Handwich. :P

So it's official that SMB BGM didn't make it to the CS? Kinda sucks, but here's hoping we get a shitton of good CS songs in 14. :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kimcicle posted:

Chalk me up as another person who can't play on DA controllers but love Ransais. Redsai moved down to Texas somewhere, and for a while I think Random was making them by himself.

Yeah, he still does. He's finishing up the remaining orders (of which there are quite a lot) and is going to be done with it after that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
SirSlarty can attest to the fact that my Ransai, with a keyboard stand and ratchet strap, can only be moved if you kick it very solidly. :tbear:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Three-Phase posted:

Beatmania and HD-TVs
I'd like to eventually get a HD-TV, a JPS2, and Happy Sky. I know HS has lag adjustment for HD-TVs, but I've still heard some complaints. I'm looking at a few Samsungs that specifically feature video game modes.

Don't do it. Bemani is designed to be played on a normal definition CRT, and a lot of projection screen, LCD, or plasma TVs have latency between the audio and video that has nothing to do with the game. For example, there's a few plasma TVs at the LAN center we go to play Pop'n Music at every Friday (the bigscreen projector for some reason has no lag) and they have the video and audio perfectly in sync, but they're a second behind the PS2. So you hit the button, and it takes a second for it to register.

The only real option you have is to find a CRT HDTV or buy one of the other kinds and a HD upscaler box, which can be pretty expensive.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Akihabara posted:

I don't necessarily agree with this, it's quite easy to get the modern Pop'n or IIDX games working on a non-CRT HDTV. The timing adjustment screen is really all you need to get your delays as close to non-noticeable as will make a difference.

Does anyone have any experience playing import bemani games on the PS3? I know it's supposedly region free but I wasn't sure if this applied to the backwards compatible games or not. I'm only wondering because my Swap Magic PS2 is dying slowly and Pop'n runs really terribly off of the HD...

Although the timing adjust does work in many cases, it's best to avoid the problem entirely, since you'll end up limiting what you can and can't play on your new TV. There's a lot you'll miss out on if you don't play the older stuff, which for IIDX is eight games and Pop'n about a dozen that don't have timing adustment options.

Also, import PS2 games don't work on the PS3, and last I heard even if you have an import system Bemani games have trouble loading/running, plus you can't get your controllers to work.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Akihabara posted:

Anyone have any experience with his Pop'n controllers? How do they stack up against Ransai, DA, etc.?

I've heard nothing but praise about Dao's controllers, both Pop'n and IIDX. It seems they might not be as retardedly solid as a Ransai (Escalade test, hurrr) but the wiring is very nicely done and the components are quality. It's probably the most arcade accurate controller you can get and they can take a lot of abuse.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Three-Phase posted:

If anyone's interested, I got a little time in on a Beatmania 6th Mix machine today. It really amazed me how far the game has come since it's quasi-16-bit days.

The wider key spacing on the BM machine threw me for a little loop.

Also - I've noticed that the "SEX" tag used for this thread has been changed to "Fruity". Ce le vie.

If you didn't play Jack and Mark Get Busy! or Uziel, you obviously weren't playing it right.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Priam posted:

Man I just started a few days ago and I can barely pass 3s =/ I thought I'd be alright at this since I'm really good at stepmania too, gently caress.

This is also pretty embarassing considering I can pass ridiculous poo poo like Quasar on an ITG2 R21 cabinet but can't seem to do it with my loving fingers :mad:

Does standing up with the controller sitting on a flat, stable surface help a lot or what?

For some people yes, other people no. Honestly I'd say DDR is one of the few bemani that doesn't carry over to anything else, since IIDXers can play Pop'n well and Poppers tend to be decent at Drummania; but it's amazing what three more things to keep track of and a turntable can do to you.

Plus the fact that you have to deal with 5+ notes at a time, too. :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Code Jockey posted:

Well it turns out two handed isn't hard at all. I figured it'd be really awkward [after playing ~2 years one handed], but after a few rounds of training I basically have the hang of it. Now, I'm still hitting the wrong notes here and there while I get the "feel" of it, but when I DO hit, my timing is noticeably better. :D

Also, I just bought a DJ Station Pro from eBay the other day - hell, it looked cool, and even if I don't plan to use it much [5 keys, right scratch] it'll look cool on my growing wall of PS2 controllers... but... uhh... I'm having a problem trying to figure out exactly how it works, since most of the sites I see on google are either ads for them for sale, or in Japanese. I'm guessing there are audio inputs on it, and that's how the volume sliders work? I see there's a headphone jack...

For reference:

I have one of those and I love it. It has spots for batteries and a headphone jack, and from there it basically acts as a mini audio mixer. However it's mainly meant for 5key beatmania, like on the PS1. :P

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Code Jockey posted:

...and in the event I ever shell out for one, my DJ Dao [god knows I'm not going to be using the spendy sucker unless it's a special occasion]

If you buy an ASC for god's sake use it, haha. One of the reasons they're so expensive is because they're durable as all hell and can handle pretty much whatever you toss at them. My Ransai Pop'n ASC has seen a LOT of use, abuse, and mistreatment (like days and days in the back of my car in the summer), and it's still solid as a rock. (I mean I melted my battery holders but hey that's my own fault. :P)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Code Jockey posted:

Oh really? I was under the impression that the springs just wear out over time, requiring replacement. A simple cleaning will fix them?

The KOC doesn't have springs. You're thinking of an ASC, and in that case worn down springs often feel hells of awesome. Playing on a worn in 5 key machine kept me off a brand new DistorteD ten feet away because I loved the keys so much.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Giudecca posted:

I could be mistaken, but I thought what made the USKOC's buttons not stick was the use of springs.

No, it's extra supports under the buttons. They don't stick because they don't sink low enough when pressed to stick.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Mei [h] isn't really that hard for a 9-10 level player (that's where I'm at too :hfive: ) but hell yeah is it fun to play.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Kinda cool; website alludes to downloading extra songs. Are the songs in that video exclusive to Be-Mouse or have they appeared in previous PnM releases?

In order...

High School Love - Pop'n 14
<Asian song of some type I don't know the name but gently caress the notechart is awesome> - Pop'n 15
Apples and Honey - Pop'n 7 (I think, may have been earlier, also in GFDM, there's an awesome remix in Pop'n 9)
Daikenkai - Pop'n 6
<I don't remember this song's name, pretty fun though> - Pop'n 13

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
In Pop'n, the cool stuff is usually the hard stuff; although a lot of the ee'mall selections in Pop'n 14 are from 5key beatmania, so it's a little less poppy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kimcicle posted:

From what I've heard through the grapevine, kors k and ryu* were set to play at bowlmanifest 08 until Konami stepped in and pretty much told them "if you play this show, you'll be fired from Konami." *shrugs*

The first time kors k showed up everybody was under the impression that he wouldn't play any of his bemani stuffs. He quickly changed that and while everybody else enjoyed it, Konami themselves weren't too pleased.

Considering you weren't there and you know about this, I guess the event organizers constantly telling people "don't tell anyone what he played or he might get loving fired" didn't work, huh. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

For lag-free component you would need a TV whose native resolution is 480i, correct? Because as I understand it, the reason I suffered lag when using component with my HDTV is because it had to deinterlace the PS2's signal in order to display it as 480p.

This is true, but there is nothing about component video that means it's high definition. My last TV was a CRT with nothing but 480i (it didn't even have progressive scan) and Component was available on it because it gives you better color quality and contrast than S.

Same can be said with S-Video, if the TV's native resolution isn't 480i and it has S-in, it will still be a problem.

On the flipside, I picked up a Sharp XR-30S projector which supports almost every kind of input known to man with no lag, and it works beautifully.

Any kind of set, any kind of configuration, results may vary.

A good general thing to look for though is native 480i support, since that's what IIDX runs on.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, make sure the TV actually runs at 480i. My CRT does, and it made a great gaming set until I bought my projector. :)

Duuuuude! I have an XR-30X! :aaa: [we essentially have the same projector, mine's just a touch brighter and runs 1024x768 native res]

I love the thing too. It's astoundingly good for IIDX, isn't it? TOTALLY lag free, wooo 480i support! I guess it says something about me that my main criteria for buying my projector was that it had to support 480i. Thankfully it ended up being a fantastic projector all around, working wonderfully with my media center PC over DVI.

Did you get the add-on VGA to component cable? I did, and oh man does it look good.

Now I just need to get a VGA box for my Dreamcast [or do the VGA mod to it] because composite video looks like garbage at 130". :(

e. and if anyone is interested, Fry's has my 30X for like $600 now, which is an absolute steal for the quality and capability this thing has. If you have enough room [thankfully I bought a house with a room built for a projector], I'd highly recommend it.

Yeah, it's amazingly good for IIDX and other bemani, especially if you use no upscaling and zoom the lens in as much as possible so it's a reasonably small picture. Five foot bemani is impossible to time. :P

Also yep, VGA-Component converter, $5 from MAT electronics. Very good find, and everything looks fantastic, PS2/Wii/360 being mostly what I play on it. Handy hint: the "resize" function lets you view 480i/p widescreen if you're into that. :)

I'm very impressed with it. The only sad thing is I've ruined myself for CS IIDX by playing AC, so I need to get myself an ASC before I start playing again, but it's been wonderful for Guitarfreaks and Pop'n, and PAL support is just insane. Manhunt 2 leaked beta in fullscreen? I actually bought the Wii version so don't go calling filez on me, haha. Sure, I'll take that.

As for the Dreamcast, doesn't the projector have S-Video in? I mean it's no VGA, but it should be able to handle that and look sharper than just composite. Though if you have anything older than that, stick with Composite as long as you can. SNES with S-Video looks AWFUL. That system was made to look kinda blurry.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, it has s-video, but I need an s-video cable for my Dreamcast. And I figure, if I'm going that far, I may as well go all the way. :D And for anything older, I just use my media center PC with it's shiny DVI. NES pixels as large as my fingertip... :v:

e. Also, I can't wait to get a GF ASC, I'm absolutely hooked on that game now that I can clear stuff a little better. How does the home version stack up against the arcade? How about the controller? My one problem - and this might just be because it's a heavily used arcade controller - is that the arcade's guitar strum bar is mushy as gently caress.

I beat Illusion of Gaia at 75" 4:3. :cool:

And yeah I can adjust to giant Bemani, but it's more worth it for me NOT to, because I like playing AC whenever I can. :P

Also CS guitarfreaks is pretty good, but the ASC needs some time to be broken in. The strum may have felt really mushy in the arcade, but it's optical, it's always going to feel like that. The thing is, when it starts moving really easy, it's really sensitive. That's when it hits the sweet spot and you can nail stuff like the hyperpicking in Over There (any difficulty). Otherwise it's just too stiff. Usually the ASC loosens up after a bit of playtime and recalibrates itself.

So basically, CS is harder than AC because the controller takes a bit of getting used to and most arcade operators I know don't keep Guitarfreaks on 4 difficulty because it's BRUTAL, but you can't change it on CS or it won't save.

So if you get good at CS guitarfreaks, you can totally expect to destroy it in the arcade. Tons of fun. :D

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Fun fact: You get to learn the insides of your PS2 pretty well by playing these games.

Also it's entirely possible if you have a fat PS2 to do the whole Swap Magic thing without any purchases, but it's a bit of a pain to do because there's like six extra steps and you need a bunch more discs. :P

Ie: My "swap magic" used to be my memory card, a copy of Vandal Hearts, a copy of Mr. Mosquito, and Metal Gear Solid 3. And my PS2 was always lidless.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Godmachine posted:

The closest Beatmania machine is probably in the Chicago area which is 45 minutes away. And that's not even a guarantee.

In other news, I found the US version bundle for $30 in excellent condition. I'll be rocking that poo poo tonight.

Well worth it, and keep in mind with as much fun you have with it it's the worst one. Anything you get from there is going up. :)

Also personally I'd recommend 8th Style or Happy Sky, but I'm more of a Pop'n man so take my advice with a grain of salt if you will. :P

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Some Cool Guy posted:

I recently tried to play the latest installment of this series at a local arcade...it loving curbstomped me.

I would have played Pop'N Music, but some wretched little shits pulled the buttons out of the machine. Who does that?

Any advice on getting better? Beginner mode loving sucks, because they cut like 3/4 of the song list off, but I'll do it if it's the only way.

More importantly HOW did they pull the buttons out!?

They're supposed to be bolted down on the inside. :pwn:

Also I'd recommend just playing 1s and 2s to get started with. If you know anyone with a home version, give yourself a few hours with it. Not an option, start yourself off on easy stuff with autoscratch or Easy on. However I really strongly say once you begin to get even the slightest bit better, stop using AS or Easy or anything like that, because it'll become a crutch later on.

Gotta take the training wheels off early, y'know.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Get used to going two-handed. One-handing's for showboating and is generally only for freakish giants with hands the size of flour tortillas.

I take it you've met FoxxyIchibo? :v:

Also if anyone has the opportunity to play IIDX in widescreen, DO IT. Set it to Arcade view in options, it's gorgeous. :D

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Godmachine posted:

Yeah, I said "gently caress off" to playing 5 key. Just jumped into 7 and I don't want to look back.

How in the LIVING loving CHRIST do I skip past the credits after playing 3 loving SONGS!? Better yet, is there a way to quit a song? Or should I just set the controller down and read a magazine?

Press start?

Actually that's how you quit a song, too. But you have to hold it for a little bit for that to work.

EDIT: Also you go back to five key and play Ska a-go go. DO IT NOW.

It's retardedly hard and you will probably fail. Fun stuff. :D

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Godmachine posted:

....hold down Start... eh?

Does beatmania US have in-song speedmod switching? It's been a while. If it does you have to hold down start and select to quit the song.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I'm surprised that BMUS is also the only iteration where you can save replays.

You can save replays in training in other styles. I just did it in 6th.

EDIT: Whoops, shows what I know. It disappeared right after I left Training.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 8, 2008

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Godmachine posted:

I don't think my hands are made for this. I've tried numerous angles for my hands and nothing seems to help. I've been stuck on the same level 3 song for hours now. Even on practice, at speed 1, I can't hit this poo poo.

Use your thumbs, loosen up everything, and just relax. If you tense up it's harder to figure out how to hit weird chords.

Also play with two hands.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Holy poo poo. That's frigging pink.

EDIT: Considering it took them 15 games to finally have a Green theme I guess this explains why it took so long. "After we use green we have to make it totally gay poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo."

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 24, 2008

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Xythar posted:

Also, one of the best players (at least top 3, I'd say) in the US is a girl.

CStarFlare?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

pollinosis posted:

Does anyone have tips on how to stop controller keys from sticking? I've wiped the tray and keys with a wet paper towel and tried using both cereal box cardboard and a credit card for the cut outs inside the plungers.

It seems really random as to which keys stick. Right now, the 2, 4, and 5 keys are sticking. Before I opened it and cleaned it out (again), keys 1-4 and 7 would get stuck. I really have no clue what to do now besides starting to save up for an ASC.

Save up to get an ASC, the US controller feels like total mush. I've completely ruined myself for home controllers since playing in the arcade and I find an ASC much more comfortable to play too, like I can play for a LOT longer without my hands/wrists starting to hurt.

In the meantime, there's a lot you can do to stop sticking like key shaving, greasing, etc, etc, etc. Also look into a de-humidifier because if it's hot and sticky the controller's gonna stick. Some decent tips over here on VJA, even if some of them are kinda old: http://vjarmy.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Giudecca posted:

You can play a lot longer without your wrists hurting? That's really strange. A properly-modified KOC will always take much less force to push down than arcade keys with microswitches.

It's about controller height and wrist position actually. I have to have my hands "floating" over a KOC of any kind because the keys sit well above the table I have the controller on (by about an inch, give or take, but the ASC or the actual arcade panel lets me actually rest my hands and forearms on something since there's a larger playing surface, making it a much more comfortable and less stressful position to keep my hands in for hours at a time. It's called "ergonomics", I recommend looking into it sometime.

If you seriously think keypress weight is adding any tangible kind of stress you're a loving pussy. You're not going to kill yourself on 0.5g pushbuttons. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

helopticor posted:

That sounds a lot more like a problem with the height of your table than KOCs.

It's not really. There's like a foot of extra space in the arcade that's pretty much level with the keys, as opposed to a smaller controller where the keys are always an inch above the table.

Also I have a US KOC and it's never stuck once, so it works OK, it just hurts my wrists really quick because of the height issue. Maybe it doesn't matter so much to other people because of playstyle, but for me it makes a huge difference. It's hard to relax when you don't have a comfortable way to rest your wrists.