Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxxheadcheese
Sep 9, 2005

Noble Man

SpazmasterX posted:

That may be so, but he's starting to resent the hunk of iron on his left arm. It may have it's uses, but it's become a burden to him. Plus, Guts will probably be 10 times as badass when he has depth perception! :black101:

I think the eye is gone forever, but hopefully he'll get his real arm back. I think its why we saw what we saw this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Cojones
Jul 11, 2001
Was Farnese jealous of what Guts was about to say?

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Don Cojones posted:

Was Farnese jealous of what Guts was about to say?

Maybe. You saw how hot and bothered she became when she whipped him. But she might've wanted to avoid knowing more about Caska.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I think it is pretty obvious Farnese wants to jump Guts. Infact, for some reason every girl wants to jump Guts.

Must be the sword.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Scoobi posted:

I think it is pretty obvious Farnese wants to jump Guts. Infact, for some reason every girl wants to jump Guts.

Must be the sword.

Haven't we already seen how much Farnese likes the sword? :quagmire:

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

maxxheadcheese posted:

I think the eye is gone forever, but hopefully he'll get his real arm back. I think its why we saw what we saw this chapter.

He won't get any of it back. They were iconic losses. He gave up his arm to save Caska. He lost his eye when she was raped.

It is the missing eye that always sees the Eclipse. It is the missing arm that demonstrates his incredible will. They are gone forever.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

That symbolism is definitely there, but that doesn't mean Miura wont swing a change in the plot where reattaining one or both of these things is more important to Guts' goal and the overall story than the symbolism of the past.

Perhaps upon either reattaining his sight or arm, Caska is simaltaneously brought back to her previous self... but has feelings drastically different to that of Guts. Perhaps this'll create an iconic exchange, though this journey has brought something back to him, he loses something else, the glimmer of hope that things would be the same with Caska again.

Saying that though I don't see Guts getting his eye back and his arm would only be at an incredibly stretch. I mean you'd basically need someone with Orihime of Bleach fame's level of duex ex machina healing ability. Berserk's world has magic and healing powers, but it's in a slightly more realistic sense. I don't recall ever seeing something regenerated from nothingness as of yet, so I think the only possibility would be Guts having a new arm or eye grafted onto him, with a severe risk that his body will reject it at some point.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
That's what I was just thinking. The eye and arm are very symbolic so I don't think he'd just magically get them back completely, but he could get a new eye with some special properties or something from the elves. But we're definitly going to see some major poo poo go down in Elfheim, the plot has been going there for like 2 years now :/

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

SpazmasterX posted:

That may be so, but he's starting to resent the hunk of iron on his left arm. It may have it's uses, but it's become a burden to him. Plus, Guts will probably be 10 times as badass when he has depth perception! :black101:

Why do you think Guts uses the Dragonslayer? With a sword that long, you don't need depth perception. :pseudo:

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

In the world of Berserk, a broken body can be restored, but you pay with your humanity and everything you loved. See Griffith for the details. I don't think Guts would be willing to pay that cost.

Zoolooman fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 16, 2007

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Are Band of the Hawk still scanlating Berserk? The last torrent up on their site is Vol. 30... Did they just decide to let Evil-Genius do all the work, or are they just really behind?

EDIT: Also, why does the image quality vary between recent chapters? Some look like newsprint and some look like they're out of the tankobon... does it depend on the person scanning?

Hatter106 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 16, 2007

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
band of the hawk scans tankoubons, so maybe they haven't got 31 yet.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The important thing is that when they get to Elfhelm, Guts will get at least one treasure he needs to beat the next boss.

Yes, I just implied that the basic plot of Berserk is basically the Legend of Zelda.

Only it's twice as awesome.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Well he is trying to wake up a princess :v:

I'll only be worried if Guts and crew have to travel around the world gathering the 7 pieces of some mystical treasure to defeat Griffith.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The only zelda where the princess is gang raped by mutants and gannon, and those guys with acorn hats turn into shambling monstrosities.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

So what's the deal with Guts' behelit? In vol.26 we see it awaken to summon Slan. Normally this only happens when a potential apostle is ready to transform into a demon. Was this the case with Guts? Did he only avoid this fate with the help of the Skull Knight?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

So what's the deal with Guts' behelit? In vol.26 we see it awaken to summon Slan. Normally this only happens when a potential apostle is ready to transform into a demon. Was this the case with Guts? Did he only avoid this fate with the help of the Skull Knight?

Uh it didn't awaken to summon Slan. Slan was able to appear there because the region was beginning to mix with the realm of spirits, which is apparently slowly happening world wide as the God Hand prophecized with their "new dark age".

It's unknown of the behelit is his, or he's carrying it just for now and it'll go to someone else, or whatever, but from what Void said earlier, Guts hasn't been ordained by fate to become an Apostle OR one of the God Hand.

Slan appeared merely because she has interest in Guts. The fact that he's able to oppose the God Hand, and kill the Apostles despite being a flesh and blood human is phenomenal. We saw Slan's interest in Guts way back in volume three even. What the Behelit was doing was more reacting to Slan's appearance. The God Hand are massive spiritual presences, so the behelit was actually in a way shaking before it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
New translation up! http://bt.evil-genius.us:60000/files/torrents/%5BEvil_Genius%5DBerserk_v33c287.rar.torrent

This chapter adds a bit to some of the discussions we've been having in regards to Casca .

I'm guessing that if she ever gets her mind healed, she'll still be too broken of a person to be a warrior again.

edit: Whoops, not a new chapter.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 18, 2007

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Wasn't that posted on the previous page? You got my hopes up for a second that somehow another chapter had been published :(

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zelmel posted:

Wasn't that posted on the previous page? You got my hopes up for a second that somehow another chapter had been published :(

Sorry everyone, I missed the link on the last page. Feel free to chastise me for this.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zorak posted:

Uh it didn't awaken to summon Slan. Slan was able to appear there because the region was beginning to mix with the realm of spirits, which is apparently slowly happening world wide as the God Hand prophecized with their "new dark age".

It's unknown of the behelit is his, or he's carrying it just for now and it'll go to someone else, or whatever, but from what Void said earlier, Guts hasn't been ordained by fate to become an Apostle OR one of the God Hand.

Slan appeared merely because she has interest in Guts. The fact that he's able to oppose the God Hand, and kill the Apostles despite being a flesh and blood human is phenomenal. We saw Slan's interest in Guts way back in volume three even. What the Behelit was doing was more reacting to Slan's appearance. The God Hand are massive spiritual presences, so the behelit was actually in a way shaking before it.

Guts has a blue behelit. Red behelits mean you can become an Apostle, I think

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

EVIR Gibson posted:

Guts has a blue behelit. Red behelits mean you can become an Apostle, I think

Who knows, they could change color :ssh:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Blue Behelits bring you to the real world

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scoobi posted:

Blue Behelits bring you to the real world

Is this a joke on my post? I know he has one but a different color

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

EVIR Gibson posted:

Is this a joke on my post? I know he has one but a different color

Its a nicely aged matrix joke, no more, no less.

Crazed_Capybara_Rider
Oct 22, 2000

The red one Griffith had was the "egg of the king" and was special. Other than that the color doesn't seem to matter, and the one Guts has is a dark green color.

Xali
Feb 6, 2006

Hold on, didn't a red behelit make you into a member of god hand and a green one (everyone elses') transform you into an apostle?

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
I am actually wondering if vol 32 has been released? It has been a couple of months since vol 31 has been out.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Xali posted:

Hold on, didn't a red behelit make you into a member of god hand and a green one (everyone elses') transform you into an apostle?

This is correct. I think Zodd explains this in an early volume if I'm not mistaken.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

This is correct. I think Zodd explains this in an early volume if I'm not mistaken.

All Zodd does, if I recall, is refer to Griffith's behelit as "The Egg of the King".
But yeah, since we haven't seen any small red behelits since then, it's a pretty fair assumption.
I doubt Guts is destined to have one - one of the main themes of Berserk is a lowly human fighting against those who have been "ordained" by fate.
Of course, you could make the argument that "Guts is ordained TO FIGHT against those who are ordained!" but I think it works better when he's just some guy that destiny took a giant poo poo upon.

It touches me when I think about how well Muira has conveyed his vision of "struggling against fate". Guts has pretty much fought tooth-and-nail every second of his life to stay alive - on the battleground of war & after being Branded. Yet he pushes on through sheer strength of will. He's been severely crippled emotionally, but can still show kindness towards his friends.
I just can't help but admire him.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I've been away for a while and missed out on the past 5 releases.

*starts downloading*

And if anyone missed it in the last thread, I'm a huge berserk fan. So much, in fact, that:

I've had it for 7 months now and I love it more every day. A few of my friends got it as well.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

xwonderboyx posted:

I've had it for 7 months now and I love it more every day. A few of my friends got it as well.

Why would you get it on the arm. That doesn't even make sense. Sure it's probabally possible but seriously. Why not just on the neck, Guts style?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Zorak posted:

Why would you get it on the arm. That doesn't even make sense. Sure it's probabally possible but seriously. Why not just on the neck, Guts style?

If you read the comic, you'll notice each of the Band of the Hawk got one, and many times on a different place other than the neck. One guy was branded on his face :laugh:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Scoobi posted:

If you read the comic, you'll notice each of the Band of the Hawk got one, and many times on a different place other than the neck. One guy was branded on his face :laugh:

Like I said, it's possible, I don't remember where exactly the others got them, but it'd be the most stylish/ tribute like to get it on the neck. That tat is also too big.

Of course, the really awesome thing would to just get it carved into your neck so it'd scar like that. That'd be awesome. Wouldn't do it personally, but still.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Zorak posted:

I'm in the military, so neck tattoos are a no no, as is any body modification such as burning or scarring on purpose. The reason it's so big is having a tiny tattoo is stupid. I believe it is stylistically accurate to the series, and that's all that matters.

hmph.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I just had a look around for the 288 raw and although I didn't find the raw itself, I did find an annoying bit of info. Next chapter after 288 wont be out until September 14th.

Oh well I guess the bright side is that it's a week less than the wait between 285 and 286!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Why did I have to suddenly get into a glacially slow manga :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Scoobi posted:

Why did I have to suddenly get into a glacially slow manga :(

Glacially slow perhaps, but glaciers are majestic, mighty things. Beautiful. Amazing. Timeless.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet

Zorak posted:

Glacially slow perhaps, but glaciers are majestic, mighty things. Beautiful. Amazing. Timeless.

And it'll last us even after we've died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

hog wizard posted:

And it'll last us even after we've died.

Actually, if you're one of the "OH NO THE WORLD IS GOING TO MELT" people, I suppose not :laugh: