Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

So what's the deal with Guts' behelit? In vol.26 we see it awaken to summon Slan. Normally this only happens when a potential apostle is ready to transform into a demon. Was this the case with Guts? Did he only avoid this fate with the help of the Skull Knight?

It's Puck's behelit

becchy :3:

can elves become apostles I don't think this has been covered yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxxheadcheese
Sep 9, 2005

Noble Man
*Checks last page first*

Hey guys, 288 is out. This time its in nothing else but .pdf-format.

Im gonna take a gander and see if its the real deal.

http://www.mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15951

Also, next ep wont come out until the 13th september. :(

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

I think Miura is being slow because he's plotting the post-Elfheim arc, and he's a perfectionist. He'll be unsatisfied until he is absolutely certain that the story will be the best it can be.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Zoolooman posted:

I think Miura is being slow because he's plotting the post-Elfheim arc, and he's a perfectionist. He'll be unsatisfied until he is absolutely certain that the story will be the best it can be.

Either that or he's busy drawing every single splinter of a boat or every soldier's face on a two page wide battle scene.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Can't believe how good today has been. And now it gets even better:

Evil Genius Chapter 288

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, Roderick and his crew are badasses. :monocle:

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

abbad0n posted:

Evil Genius Chapter 288

I thought I was tricked when I opened the raw and all the files were labeled as chapter 287. Thankfully, someone just messed up :)

Klick Pankakes
Jan 11, 2004
BERSERK
What do you think the chances are that the pirate captin has either a behelit on his person, or is already an apostle?

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Then why is he sweating so much?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

abbad0n posted:

Evil Genius Chapter 288

Someone mind rehosting this on something? Torrenting isn't working on this computer :(

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
[url="http://frostedorange.com/gwynne/randomshit/[Evil_Genius]Berserk_v33c288.rar"]chapter 288[/url]

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

welp, see you in 6 weeks thread :unsmith:

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Klick Pankakes posted:

What do you think the chances are that the pirate captin has either a behelit on his person, or is already an apostle?

I doubt it. Ishidoro kicked his rear end a while back, he can't be that good.

I'm pretty sure he's only in the new chapter to show that Roderick is actually a badass of the seas.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Comments about chapter 288:

I'm glad to see the girls working out how they feel about Guts. This is a good productive use of the story's downtime. :] Schierke seems to have reached a comfort zone with her childish crush, Farnese has expressed frustration with Caska's condition, and Caska has--for a brief moment--responded with near-intelligence.

I think this indicates that Caska won't join Griffith or anything crazy like that. In her own dim way, she seemed to understand what Farnese meant. Maybe she caught on that Guts is struggling on her behalf, and I think she'll remember that when her mind returns. Maybe she won't be loyal, but she won't be a traitor either.

What do you think?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I figured Caska thought Farnesse was upset that she wasn't cooperating with her bath and was just trying to be nice. She was still :downs:.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Roderick turned out pretty badass. Bets on him having an oppourtunity to turn to a sea-dwelling Apostle.
Guts agrees:

RODERICK MAHH BOIII

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Zoolooman posted:

Comments about chapter 288:

I'm glad to see the girls working out how they feel about Guts. This is a good productive use of the story's downtime. :] Schierke seems to have reached a comfort zone with her childish crush, Farnese has expressed frustration with Caska's condition, and Caska has--for a brief moment--responded with near-intelligence.

I think this indicates that Caska won't join Griffith or anything crazy like that. In her own dim way, she seemed to understand what Farnese meant. Maybe she caught on that Guts is struggling on her behalf, and I think she'll remember that when her mind returns. Maybe she won't be loyal, but she won't be a traitor either.

What do you think?

Well Farnese did mention something important, even with the mean poo poo Guts did to her (nearly raping her, and completely abandoning her for 2 year) Guts is still breaking his mind and body for her each and every day. Hopefully if she gets her mind back that she'll still be on Guts' team, even if she has a mild distrust for Guts' berserk personality.

And someone like, heal Guts or something :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ Oh god Jay Leno :gonk:

And as hosed up as Guts is looking, the predictions of a heal/power up in ElfLand has pretty much got to happen.

Xali
Feb 6, 2006

sephiroth669 posted:

And as hosed up as Guts is looking, the predictions of a heal/power up in ElfLand has pretty much got to happen.

If it turns out that when they get to Elfland it's burnt down to the ground, all the elves except one have been killed in grotesque ways, the king impaled on a spike, and upon seeing Guts the last elf who is barely alive mutters: "you!" and then dies, I am going to stand up from my chair and start applauding like a madman.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Xali posted:

If it turns out that when they get to Elfland it's burnt down to the ground, all the elves except one have been killed in grotesque ways, the king impaled on a spike, and upon seeing Guts the last elf who is barely alive mutters: "you!" and then dies, I am going to stand up from my chair and start applauding like a madman.

Agreed. There's always the chance that Guts will not be healed, but rather he will become more hosed up and deformed as time goes on.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I'm just waiting for Guts' first Godhand kill. That moment of realization they'll have when they find out that one of them just ate it at the hands of the man they've been toying with this whole time. Even better, as he works through each one, they get more desperate and paranoid. It'll be amazing.

Probably the only way it could be better is if he somehow took everyone but Griffith out at once.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Twitch posted:

Agreed. There's always the chance that Guts will not be healed, but rather he will become more hosed up and deformed as time goes on.

Like the skull knight? what ever the hell he is... guy being kept alive by his own berserker armor?

If he gets fixed up now, he will just get messed up again later, whats the point? :gonk:

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 22, 2016

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
From what I understand, there are obvious parallels between Guts and the Skull Knight. However, there are slight differences that could make all the difference. Whatever the Skull Knight is, it isn't an apostle. After all he once wore the berserk armor himself, but he gave it up for something stronger (which I'm assuming is not another berserk armor). However in the process...

Several times it has been mentioned by others that it is amazing that Guts survived as a human, when it would have been easier to get stronger/survive if he just gave up his humanity. I'm assuming that their are different ways to do this, and the Skull Knight took one of them (immortality?, undeath?) to get the chance to destroy his enemies.

Since the story is about Guts fight against destiny, I'm assuming that he will retain (unlike the Skull Knight) his humanity, and find another method that doesn't require that sacrifice.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

abbad0n posted:

From what I understand, there are obvious parallels between Guts and the Skull Knight. However, there are slight differences that could make all the difference. Whatever the Skull Knight is, it isn't an apostle. After all he once wore the berserk armor himself, but he gave it up for something stronger (which I'm assuming is not another berserk armor). However in the process...

Several times it has been mentioned by others that it is amazing that Guts survived as a human, when it would have been easier to get stronger/survive if he just gave up his humanity. I'm assuming that their are different ways to do this, and the Skull Knight took one of them (immortality?, undeath?) to get the chance to destroy his enemies.

Since the story is about Guts fight against destiny, I'm assuming that he will retain (unlike the Skull Knight) his humanity, and find another method that doesn't require that sacrifice.
We're kind on the same page here. I think Guts and some others will be given the chance to become something else than human, and while Guts won't take it, someone of them will. And this will go bad for everyone involved.
Isidro would be particularly vulnerable. He's constantly the underdog and wants to be the strongest swordsman ever...

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005

Forest Fuckery posted:

We're kind on the same page here. I think Guts and some others will be given the chance to become something else than human, and while Guts won't take it, someone of them will. And this will go bad for everyone involved.
Isidro would be particularly vulnerable. He's constantly the underdog and wants to be the strongest swordsman ever...

So then the obvious parallels would be:

Guts <=> Skull Knight
Schierke <=> Flora
Isidro <=> Zodd?!?

Edit: Removed spoiler tag...

abbad0n fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 7, 2007

Xali
Feb 6, 2006

abbad0n posted:

So then the obvious parallels would be:

Guts <=> Skull Knight
Schierke <=> Flora
Isidro <=> Zodd?!?

Why did you spoiler that!?

EDIT: Thanks for the heads up.

Xali fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 7, 2007

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Yes I know it's just speculation, but it was the best way I could think of to bring out a :wtf: moment using the limited forum tools.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Both of you should know that using spoiler tags improperly for jokes can get you probated. If half the poo poo in spoil tags isnt real then whats the point of them.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Wasn't used for a joke. But I'll edit my post above.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm just waiting for Guts' first Godhand kill. That moment of realization they'll have when they find out that one of them just ate it at the hands of the man they've been toying with this whole time. Even better, as he works through each one, they get more desperate and paranoid. It'll be amazing.

Probably the only way it could be better is if he somehow took everyone but Griffith out at once.

I'm betting Griffith will kill them all. Maybe Guts will get one

also, I imagine the "she might not want what you want" thing is just saying that Caska probably won't be so driven about killing Griffith, even after everything he did to her

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Forest Fuckery posted:

A direct example of this was when the party was offered their magical items and Guts passed on the magic axe. He just prefers to do things his own way.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

A direct example of this was when the party was offered their magical items and Guts passed on the magic axe. He just prefers to do things his own way.

Well, his sword is magic in it's own way.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

SpazmasterX posted:

I thought that Guts' sword being tempered in the blood of demons was a nice parallel to the freaky digested-Behelit sword that Skull Knight 'grew' inside of him. Ordinary swords made magical from the leavings of fallen opponents. I wonder how much Apostle blood is needed to temper Guts' sword to start making a dent in a Godhand?

But yeah, holy poo poo he needs healing. It's like he's 50% scar tissue now, dude's got skin like a Harlequin baby. :gonk:

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah, but it's not the nice kind of standard, elemental magic, nor is it even the magic of the Godhand. It's the taint of terror and death.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zoolooman posted:

Yeah, but it's not the nice kind of standard, elemental magic, nor is it even the magic of the Godhand. It's the taint of terror and death.

It's the most metal of magics. :black101:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Zoolooman posted:

Aye, it is Demonic magic at best. Hasn't it already been hinted that the sword is powerful enough to cut a godhand? I wonder if there will be any more developments on that front, would be nice to see some more classic dark swordsman action. I definitely can't wait for the next big spread of Guts' in the classic glowing eye and teeth angle slashing through a half dozen minions.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the upgrade will be for Puck, who can then super-heal guts and/or stop being used almost exclusively to break the fourth wall goddamnit Miura stop doing that!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When was the last time Puck appeared in a non-SD form? He's been comic relief since the Tower arc or so. And, honestly, I think it's a role that fits him.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

When was the last time Puck appeared in a non-SD form? He's been comic relief since the Tower arc or so. And, honestly, I think it's a role that fits him.

He was comic relief before the Tower arc too. Like he said when Guts was going to chase the Butterfly girl, "Hey, I'm the comic relief! This manga is our lively hood! We wouldn't be still existing without m-" and then Guts clonked him I think.

Also, I like how he varies frequently on and off between SD and non-SD forms. Much like how Schierke's elf whose name eludes me goes into her wierd not so superly deformed by still deformed form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not bothered by the SD as much as dressing him up in modern/random clothing and making contemporary gags and references. This is not a funny manga :colbert: