Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

sephiroth669 posted:

I'm not bothered by the SD as much as dressing him up in modern/random clothing and making contemporary gags and references. This is not a funny manga :colbert:

I beg to differ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
You'd do that too if you saw a guy split a giant tiger in half in one stroke. :colbert:

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

SpazmasterX posted:

You'd do that too if you saw a guy split a giant tiger in half in one stroke. :colbert:

yeah, whats their reaction supposed to be "yeah whatever guts, I do that poo poo one handed for fun :rolleyes:"?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I dont know what you guys are arguing, im saying that entire page is hilarious. First the absurdity of guts maiming a tiger demon in two, then the stunned reaction of the crowd.

Berserk is grim funny.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

That happens every loving time he meets someone new. He should just have a pamphlet about himself ready to hand out. On the other hand, I can never get enough of the "IT'S A GUNDAM!!!" reaction he gets from common folk.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

That happens every loving time he meets someone new. He should just have a pamphlet about himself ready to hand out.
:laffo:
"Do not be alarmed. My name is Guts. poo poo is about to get rocked."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"I may cut a giant demon in half at any moment. DO NOT BE ALARMED. This is intended behavior."

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Scoobi posted:

I dont know what you guys are arguing, im saying that entire page is hilarious. First the absurdity of guts maiming a tiger demon in two, then the stunned reaction of the crowd.

Berserk is grim funny.

Okay, I actually just got to this part of Berserk and in context that's pretty funny.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

That happens every loving time he meets someone new. He should just have a pamphlet about himself ready to hand out.

Sindai posted:

"I may cut a giant demon in half at any moment. DO NOT BE ALARMED. This is intended behavior."

Sindai posted:

This needs to be actually made (at least in post with screenshots form), if nothing else, it would make an awesome introductory post when someone makes another Berserk thread in a few years. Or just a good way to explain Berserk to nonbelievers.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

sephiroth669 posted:

as dressing him up in modern/random clothing and making contemporary gags and references

BERSERK-Y-OH!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I just noticed that Guts has hit the tiger with such fury that not only has it been split in half, its eye has popped out of its socket. It's so hilariously over the top. 'Gallows humor' is a term that really applies to Berserk.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Tupperwarez posted:

I just noticed that Guts has hit the tiger with such fury that not only has it been split in half, its eye has popped out of its socket. It's so hilariously over the top. 'Gallows humor' is a term that really applies to Berserk.

He hit it hard enough to split its tongue in two.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

Tupperwarez posted:

Miura seems to have a thing for drawing eyes flying out of heads. Seriously, there's dozens of panels where someone's or something's head is cut or bashed with such force that its eyeballs fly out as the head and face fall apart.

And that's not counting the head explosions, and eyeballs ripped from sockets.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

NovaPolice posted:

Miura seems to have a thing for drawing eyes flying out of heads. Seriously, there's dozens of panels where someone's or something's head is cut or bashed with such force that its eyeballs fly out as the head and face fall apart.

And that's not counting the head explosions, and eyeballs ripped from sockets.

Don't forget the always lovely eyeballs being hit directly with arrows.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Only two more weeks :dance: Can't wait

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

messagemode1 posted:

That is, if there were fangirls of Berserk. I think most are scared off by the blood and gore.

I'm a girl, and Berserk is my favorite manga. :colbert:

Also, OP, thanks so much for this thread. I buy the Dark Horse editions and the volumes come out agonizingly slow. Those scanlations are a godsend!

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

HOT BREAD! posted:

I'm a girl, and Berserk is my favorite manga. :colbert:

Seriously. My favorite manga by far. The gore just helps add to the whole desperate feeling of the world of the manga.

I've been bingeing on Berserk these last couple weeks, reading the manga over repeatedly, watching bits of the anime, and generally just looking stuff up. I'm really hoping Elfhelm comes within the next year. Poor Caska has been insane for over a decade now.

Also, I've decided I want to make an avatar of this image from the eclipse:

But I can't think of a caption. The one I keep coming back to is "We're having pancakes?!"

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Kusaru posted:

But I can't think of a caption. The one I keep coming back to is "We're having pancakes?!"

Demons? In my girlfriend?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

SpazmasterX posted:

Demons? In my girlfriend?

Wouldn't one of Casca with "Demons? In my vagina?" be more fitting?

Yes the joke is old, but I like it :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Kusaru posted:

"*cuts a shitload of demons in half*" would be my choice, but pancakes is a pretty good non sequitur I guess.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

How do you guys cope with the release schedule of Berserk?

I'm thinking I should just live my life and forget about it for 1-2 years, then read volumes 1-whatever again. If I do this I'll just get hooked on it at a later date...

One chapter every month isn't gonna fly, Miura! I gotta have my fix!!! :f5:

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

You're being too optimistic...

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I'm thinking I should just live my life and forget about it for 1-2 years, then read volumes 1-whatever again. If I do this I'll just get hooked on it at a later date...

I fill the void with other animes. I can get a whole series done between chapters! :v:

maxxheadcheese
Sep 9, 2005

Noble Man

sephiroth669 posted:

I'm not bothered by the SD as much as dressing him up in modern/random clothing and making contemporary gags and references. This is not a funny manga :colbert:

Im sorry that Im an idiot but; SD?

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

maxxheadcheese posted:

Im sorry that Im an idiot but; SD?

Super-deformed. Like when puck makes all of his jokes and such.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I just recently got into Berserk, which is bad because that means I devoured all 1 billion volumes of it in 3 days and now I get to wait for the snails pace. If I start thinking about Berserk I might re-read some of my favorite volumes, like the eclipse or 1-3 or something.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

This is basically what I did. My last Berserk binge was about 3 years ago. I vaguely kept up in the interim, then the last couple releases inspired me to go back and read everything. Repeatedly. I find a lot of re-read value in Berserk. I tend to follow the battle scenes a lot more closely than when I'm devouring chapter after chapter to find out what happens next.

Also, wanting to see some of the later scenes animated, I've been watching a lot of youtube videos from the PS2 game.

I laughed out loud for a good 30 seconds at "Demons? In My girlfriend?" but the pancakes still hold my heart. I just love the expression on his face there. He looks either terrified or REALLY excited.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Go with the pancake thing.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to have to agree, go with the pancakes title. Funny custom titles are the best when they're funny without having to know any context.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Zelmel posted:

Super-deformed. Like when puck makes all of his jokes and such.

the weeaboo word for that is "chibi" i suppose.

Zorak posted:

BERSERK-Y-OH!

YES i havent been keeping up with the chapters lately and that made me snicker.

"I SUMMON SKULL KNIGHT BLACK EYES!"

"I SUMMON ZODD OF BROKEN HORN!"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gvaz posted:

the weeaboo word for that is "chibi" i suppose.

Actually they're both terms used in anime for it. Chibi and SD tend to be different levels of distortion, I think. See the whole "SD Gundam" model/ OVA series for instance.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
ah yeah thats right, i totally forgot about SD Gundam. i just end up hearing "chibi" used alot more often.

wouldnt chibi tend to have sort of a cute look where SD would be more of like, parody?

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

:siren: The PS2 Berserk game may get a US import!:siren:

quote:

In Japan, you guys have done some anime-licensed games like Berserk and Armored Trooper Votoms. Are those the kinds of things that you're thinking about bringing out here?

KK: Exactly. We're trying to see what we can do and what we can bring over. There's a lot of IPs that are out there that we haven't brought over yet, and that's one main reason why we have Yuke's Company of America.

I've wanted to play this game so bad that I was considering getting a cd loader for the Japanese disc. If this game comes out in the US I'm going to buy it so hard that the earth will shake when I swipe my credit card.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I do so hope that it will get an Euro release too.
Otherwise i am going to pester japanese and US goons to send me a copy :v:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I'm going to buy it so hard that the earth will shake when I swipe my credit card.
No, no, this is Berserk. The shockwave will hit the cashier so hard, their eyeballs will pop from their sockets.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Tupperwarez posted:

No, no, this is Berserk. The shockwave will hit the cashier so hard, their eyeballs will pop from their sockets.

christ, i laughed so hard my desk shook. loving awesome. i cant wait to play berserk for the ps2. im gonna be beside myself.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Two days till the new chapter is out! (I hope! :()

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

It's September 13th, and I have no experience in hunting down manga scanlations/translations. Someone give some tips? And don't say google because I didn't get far with that.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

Mido posted:

It's September 13th, and I have no experience in hunting down manga scanlations/translations. Someone give some tips? And don't say google because I didn't get far with that.

I know Evil Genius was mentioned in the first post of the thread.

And I'll wait for the EG release. Perhaps some other versions will come out before theirs, I don't know who else does Berserk... but you don't settle for a low/medium quality speedscan with something like Berserk.

After all, when you've waited a month or two for Miura's obsessive levels of detail, you can wait a few more days to see it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxxheadcheese
Sep 9, 2005

Noble Man
Well atleast the RAW is out. So now we play the waiting game... Ehh, continue playing it.