Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Torrent magnet link and online reader for the first chapter of Duranki.

Hoping to have the second chapter of the introductory double feature out by tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Way better than Pee-Golem and Wrestle-Titan so far! I like the adventures of Kid Iinventedthis!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
So what’s the catch

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Amazing art as always from Miura.

So what pantheon we in? Like the satyr screams Greek pantheon, but theres also the ark, isnt that just bible mythology?. Also usumgallu sounds like even older then greek. Mesopotamian? I guess its a mixup of stuff but heavily based on greek.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Huge thanks for the translation, another magnificent job!

Cool idea so far, full of mystery, myth oriented and goat hearding! Art is really great, like how brightly lit it all is so far.

Captain_duck posted:

Amazing art as always from Miura.

So what pantheon we in? Like the satyr screams Greek pantheon, but theres also the ark, isnt that just bible mythology?. Also usumgallu sounds like even older then greek. Mesopotamian? I guess its a mixup of stuff but heavily based on greek.

It feels heavily Greek oriented, the ark could be a reference to Deucalion, son of Prometheus. The mountain could be Parnassus where the ship wrecked.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 10, 2019

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Apparently there was a recent interview with Miura with the release of the new manga. I'm just going to steal the bullet points from some manga forum: (also includes link to original untranslated interview)

quote:

Interview with Kentaro Miura regarding his new series Duranki and how it affects Berserk
-Duranki is made under Miura's Studio Gaga. For the series, he is credited as writer and producer.
-For Duranki, assistants are taking care of the inking. As writer & producer, he right now he makes the storyboard, sketch the draft, quality checking and final adjustments. (like "Art Director" in anime production)
-Three assistants on-site, one remote.

-For Berserk, he draws all the characters and background. Assistants are only in charge of tones, buildings, background soldiers or far-off scenery. Recently he started having them draw the ground too.
-He is usually fast with storyboarding, so he doesn't think this new series will affect Berserk production. Main bottleneck is the art, because he tries to draw everything by himself.
-He hopes to use Duranki as an opportunity to improve his assistants' skills so that he will be more comfortable offloading more of Berserk work to his assistants too. Potentially speeding up Berserk releases.
-Eventually, his goal is to only do the storyboard and final adjustments for Duranki and let his assistants do the rest.
-Duranki turned into a series when he shared one of his ideas for a new manga to his editor.
-Originally Duranki was actually a isekai time travel manga, but scrapped the isekai approach because it was too prevalent and went with straight fantasy/mythology.
-His manga production is now fully digital. Made the switch around 2015 when Rakshas revealed his true identity.
-He knows he has an unhealthy obsessed with drawing every little details. Believes it's simply because he loves the old, "Baroque Period" of manga like Akira and Fist of the North Star that had really dense and detailed art.
-Quite happy with using digital to draw. He gets to zoom into stuff and obsess over each little pixel. His editor tries to stop him whenever he goes that far.
-Never felt bored making Berserk. Always tries to do new themes. Making manga is fun.
-Berserk is currently in the later stages of its overall story. Lot of shocking things coming up after the current arc.
Emphasis not mine. I'm personally a little surprised Miura's apparently using his assistants for some of the work on Berserk since it always seemed like that was something he would do all by himself. Then again there have been a few instances where characters have been reused in multiple panels so it's not that surprising, I suppose. I do like how he acknowledges his obsession with detail but also admits to taking it to the pixel level anyway. Also a little interesting is how Duranki is apparently largely not drawn by him, since it's not that readily apparent. The covers are definitely him though since the digital color is still really wonky.

Anyway, more Berserk is coming and to the surprise of no one it'll probably get depressing at some point again. Hopefully his plan pans out and we'll eventually get chapters out quicker- hahaha no I can't even finish that sentence. Hopefully next year we get more than two chapters.

Also a picture of his setup (the original interview has more pics but I'm too lazy to grab them):

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Duranki appears to be set somewhere in the Levant, west of ancient Mesopotamia and east of ancient Greece. The supposedly-actual Mount Nisir is in Iraqi Kurdistan today.

The manga is primarily about Sumerian divinities, but with Hermes and Pan showing up it's clear that the Greek gods are real as well (I'm kind of expecting this to be in the same universe as Gigantomakhia somehow). I figure the dragon dude at the start is Enki, but the jury's still out on the lady...

The busted boat is the ark of Utnapishtim, featured in one of the earliest tellings of the flood myth that inspired the story of Noah's ark.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

LordMune posted:

The busted boat is the ark of Utnapishtim, featured in one of the earliest tellings of the flood myth that inspired the story of Noah's ark.

Right i knew the flood myth was older then the bible, like its from gilgamesh or perhaps even older. I did not know that they even copied the idea of a boat in the mountains from older stories to.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Greek mythology in general has some very close structural parallels with the mythologies of older and contemporary cultures from the Levant and from Mesopotamia. You need to keep in mind that 'Greece' at that time was the area around the Aegean Sea, and quite a few important Greek city-states were located at what is now the west coast of Turkey. See this map from Wikipedia, showing the origins of the various Greek and Trojan heroes mentioned in the Iliad (also Homer's own supposed home region Ionia):

Some scholars even consider ancient Greece to be more aptly described as a Near Eastern culture rather than a European one.

In any case, Greco-Mesopotamian myth ragout starring a nonbinary child genius is certainly a more promising concept than "Attack on Titan, but with 100% more urine".

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Not usually interested in posting about Berserk even though I love it but Duranki seems so cool that I was instantly sucked in and wanna talk about it. I'm loving the influences. The title, the name Usumgallu, the "reveal" of the ark ten pages in. Miura is so great at fantasy worldbuilding that I instantly wanna know everything about this world.

Just to be clear, I see a lot of people saying that this only a two chapter short story, but it's actually a full new manga that he's making to help his assistants that just launched with two chapters right?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I suspect (based on the implied not-too-distant distance from Mount Olympus) that the Caria in the bottom right quadrant of this map is the Caria that Hermes and Enki and Unknown Goddess hang out in at the beginning of the chapter. Take it with a grain of salt though, it's hard with vague names that may or may not be Sumerian, may or may not be mythological, may or may not be historical, and finally have been run through a Japanese filter.
EDIT: And there's Delos island, namesake of Gigantomakhia's protagonist.

Expect My Mom posted:

Not usually interested in posting about Berserk even though I love it but Duranki seems so cool that I was instantly sucked in and wanna talk about it. I'm loving the influences. The title, the name Usumgallu, the "reveal" of the ark ten pages in. Miura is so great at fantasy worldbuilding that I instantly wanna know everything about this world.

Just to be clear, I see a lot of people saying that this only a two chapter short story, but it's actually a full new manga that he's making to help his assistants that just launched with two chapters right?
Miura is very good at what he does, the ark reveal is killer.

Duranki will continue in November. I think Young Animal Zero will be monthly and Duranki is skipping October on account of launching with two chapters.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

quote:

2015 when Rakshas revealed his true identity.

4 years ago :negative:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I only see one chapter? Or is it just double long.

Either way, this is wholesome and I like it a lot. It's obviously skirting creepy territory, but I think it' fine so far? Presumably they'll wear more clothes in the future?

It's really efficient. Other than "monsters," all those tags apply to one character!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 11, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It launched with two chapters, second one is still being translated/typeset I'd guess

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Seems very cool. Miura is probably “rebelling against mythology” by mashing a lot of gods and myths together. Pretty sure usumgallah is a famous monster in Babylon. Pan is obviously the Greek name for goat-creatures like that. Yogurt and cheese seem to be brand new inventions.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm not sure what's creepy about it? But maybe I'm just used to artistic and religious nudity. I thought the dancing with the nymphs scene was really enchanting.

Miura always this really good almost narrator voice that he uses. Like when he talks about magic coming back into the Berserk world at the start of the Conviction arc or the "Though we could only see them dancing with the butterflies"

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm not sure what's creepy about it? But maybe I'm just used to artistic and religious nudity. I thought the dancing with the nymphs scene was really enchanting.

Miura always this really good almost narrator voice that he uses. Like when he talks about magic coming back into the Berserk world at the start of the Conviction arc or the "Though we could only see them dancing with the butterflies"

He's amazing. The way he ties magic into each characters emotions is really something, gives that fantasy element a sense of purpose for not just the world, but the phase his character is in. The bit he did with Guts being imprisoned as a kid where he meets the flower fairy is one of my all time favourite parts of Berserk, as a standalone story it can be interpreted as a coping mechanism for a struggling boy trying to survive ongoing abuse, but within the established rules of the Berserk world it's something that serves so much more.

Miura's ability is tremendous!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

And here's chapter 2, torrent coming tonight.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

My big take away from this is man, I wish Berserk’s main cast included a dog.

Those are some good doggos.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

My big take away from this is man, I wish Berserk’s main cast included a dog.

Those are some good doggos.

Good news!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Torquemadras posted:

I'll be forever thankful that somehow, Isidro is immune to the utter horror that is the world of Berserk

Here comes idiot kid samurai, truckin' along, sailing right past trauma train

He's basically missed the memo and still thinks he's in a shonen manga

That can be useful

I remember in "Now and Then, Here and There" the protagonist is full of optimism and spunk, because anything less would see him tied to the tracks of the trauma train

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Did the kid have to get naked?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

skasion posted:

Good news!

Agreed, Guts dog is a good doggie. Just needs some more friends in there.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Pewdiepie posted:

Did the kid have to get naked?

You know the answer to that.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Creepy sexualisation of a kid aside, this is neat. Really up for more non-binary protagonists.

The art is sort of skirting the border between sexualizing and taking a cue from "beautiful children" as depicted in classical art, I think. If not for Miura's track record with sexualizing kids in weird ways (i.e. the Piss Wrestling Saga) I'd be more willing to give it a pass.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Woebin posted:

Creepy sexualisation of a kid aside, this is neat. Really up for more non-binary protagonists.

The art is sort of skirting the border between sexualizing and taking a cue from "beautiful children" as depicted in classical art, I think. If not for Miura's track record with sexualizing kids in weird ways (i.e. the Piss Wrestling Saga) I'd be more willing to give it a pass.

:chloe: :chloe: :chloe:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The piss wrestling was pretty bad though, its true

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Honestly I don't think having this conversation is even worth it. Miura is a bit of creep, the parts of Duranki where he wasn't being a creep were okay, the parts where he was literally didn't even need to be there. There's absolutely no point in going "but if the situation and context was entirely different, then maybe..." because that's dangerously close to excusing him for including naked Usumgallu for what basically amounts to a repetition of what was already clearly stated in the beginning of the manga.

It was stupid, creepy and completely pointless. I feel like that's about all that needs to be said about it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Woebin posted:

:same:

i really like the setting, and I'm already rooting for the protagonist. the art is great and like you said it has that "classical art" feel to it. if i didn't know much about miura then chances are i would have given the first two chapters the benefit of the doubt when answering the question "is this included because it's art, or because the artist is horny"

oh gently caress off, we can have a brief conversation about art styles without the need to call each other pedophiles

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

See, I don’t think it is pointless. I think it refers to those stupid naked baby cherubs the Church always makes statues and paintings of. I don’t know why drawing naked angels is okay, but it’s very common in lots of religions. Pan the goat-boy is equally naked, as per his standard Greek mythology depictions.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Look, when the nymphs show up and they are down to dance, you drop everything and motherfucking DANCE.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

piss wrestling manga was good. just, yknow, remove the piss

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What about the racism

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

What about the racism

I.... forgot about that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How racist are we talking?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pretty much literally exactly the same as Terraformars actually.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Rody One Half posted:

Evil cockroach people who are drawn to look like black caricatures?

Who knew there was a link between racism and being pissed on?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

racism is stored in the balls, just like piss

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't think the bugmen were evil

it was still racist though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

It's quite literally what if terraformars but the bug guys are good and not specifically framed to evoke rape imagery? Which too be fair takes a way a lot of the horrible of Terraformars, but is still pretty bad.