Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Vengarr posted:

Speaking of Caska, I was re-reading the Retribution arc the other day and realized that the move that Guts uses to avoid getting skewered by the Kushan advance force in Volume 18 is the exact same move that Caska used to kill Adon back in Volume 7. Stabbing the sword into the ground and using it to flip over the enemy. Really a neat touch considering the whole theme of that arc (regaining what he'd thrown away).
I think it is more of Guts learning from his past. His style has changed of the story if you pay attention. Now he is full on DBZ type guy with flips and pounces. But it didn't develop over night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

They killed the sea god but did they kill the OCEAN god? See ya in 3 years.

temple fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 20, 2012

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Caska said that she would disappear if something ever happened to the hawks. She's reverted back to herself when she met Griffith. She lacks direction but has the will the defend herself.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

TSK is heavily implied, if not stated, to be the former king of Midland. So I'm pretty sure he had a different path than Guts.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Its weird seeing Guts with 2 hands.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I can't believe I'm happy to see a god drat fairy.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Guts is like a wild animal. He's not mean but he's not nice. If people don't bother him, he doesn't bother them.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rakugoon posted:

Yeah did you miss when that little girl tells Guts she won't forgive him and he walks away crying?
That was after using her as a human shield :unsmigghh:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Banality of evil is closer to the Holy See. They are just doing their job, torturing and maiming people. Nothing personal.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I've always thought a live action Berserk made by western directors would work well. But the problem is that people would treat Berserk like an action or horror flick and the real thing is Berserk is much closer to Raging Bull or Taxi Driver. If you look a Berserk movie like a character study, it could be really good. If people like Game of Thrones, they should love Berserk because it has far more relatable story and characters.

Incoming embarrassing obsession based suggestions:

I'd make it a trilogy with the the first film being about Guts and his life all the way up to Zodd. The 2nd film would be about Caska, post Zodd up to Griffin's "death" and killing off the Queen. The 3rd film would center on Griffith and go till the Eclipse. And I'd end it with Guts with having one eye and hand and returning to Godo.

temple fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 3, 2012

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I was listening to Slavoj Zizek talk about stuff and he went into an interesting idea that reminded me of Berserk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvmAr8aQxck&t=11m38s

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Good stuff, Berserk.

I'm starting to think the Elf King is mythical and can be a Griffith stand in or will be attacked by Griffith. Also, Gut's son was stillborn and he be might a conduit for Griffith/Femto to spy on Guts. Femto is the prince of demons so he would able to see or control the child seeing as the child is a spirit too. What is Guts going to do after Elfhelm? He is making his moon oaths again.

Aw poo poo I can't wait!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Urdnot Fire posted:

^ His headstone will literally be an extended middle finger.
This. I read the story for the individual chapters. The world almost ended before Berserk did.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I love the show's theme song. The broken english, out of tune guitars, it was perfect pump-up music to a really sad and depressing show.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Yeah yeah Forces is good. I can't imagine watching Berserk without Forces.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I find it funny how people see Caska as broken and not who she wants to be. She said that if something happened to the hawks, she would disappear. I think she has.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Griffith and Charlotte is basically 90% of romance novels. It really kind of pisses me off though because I know women that identify or like the rape sex in Game of Thrones. I so wish someone would make Berserk like SOIF for a cable network. That's.... my dream *cue Gats*

temple fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 12, 2013

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Fantasy is a spectrum. If you have rape vore demon bugs then you are obligated to fit in singing merpeople somewhere.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Since people are on the topic, what exactly was the wish of the Egg apostle. I've read, re-read, but I never understood how his wish worked.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

As a side note: the magic of Schierke is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odic_force , which I didn't know was a real thing.

Guts is (probably) inspired from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tz_von_Berlichingen

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Begemot posted:

When I was rereading this a while back, I noticed the big shift in tone around the time Schierke showed up. The magic being something that is comprehensible to humans is a huge shift in the dynamics. Before then, it's just evil spirits, and Puck, and that's it. Then we get named "great spirits" of different elements and directions that are sympathetic to humans, and now magic is something you can use instead of just being used by it, in the form of apostles and whatnot.

I don't think it's bad, necessarily, but it's definitely different from everything that came before. There's a definite difference in tone between Guts chopping apostles apart with a giant hunk of iron and his kid sidekick stabbing a troll with a fire-enchanted dagger.

That said, there was a chapter last year where Guts cut apart a sea god's heart and literally almost drowned in the blood, so the old grim tone isn't completely gone, to say the least. It's just muted, most of the time.

The tone of the horror has changed from things that shouldn't exist to things you hope don't exist. Or maybe the other way around, I don't know that's where individual interpretations lie. The best and seminal scene for me is when he fought Zodd for the first time because he is genuinely afraid but he confronts his fear consciously as a man. He either has a forlorn hope, like as a kid versus the wolves, or he is consciously confronting his challenges as an adult. The current story is a cycle of the two types of resolve.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

People wank over the Lost Children arc too much.

I like the show version and think its the best way to introduce someone to Berserk. It gives a sense of the sword fighting in motion before you read the manga. The show also ends on a cliff hanger and would drive people to read the manga. Everynone I've recommended the show to end up wanting to read what happens next. It was the perfect F-U and brings gravity to the situation with the screen fading red with blood as Guts loses his eye.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

House Louse posted:

I don't think Miura had much grasp of anything about the story at that time. The gulf between that and the Golden Age is immense. The Black Swordsman arc has people being publicly herded to the Apostle baron to be eaten; the Golden Age has nothing supernatural for volumes at a time, and its tone is much more mature than "all grimdark all the time".

I think the Black swordsman arc is a teaser for the rest of the story. I don't think a medieval story about a bum mercenary would have been interesting unless the Black swordsman arc drew readers in. However, as TV show, the Golden age is a better place to start(at least States side).

I like the Golden Age as well for having less fantasy and a grim but believable setting. Miura had a grasp but you have to re-read that section after the eclipse for it to sink in. Guts in my reading is an rear end in a top hat and barely better than his enemies but he has this snarking on the outside, crying on the inside character that is depicted in those first volumes. They are really important to Guts overall growth and maturity. He's not virtuous, Guts had to learn to give a gently caress about people.

U-DO Burger posted:

I really disagree with this. I watched the show first and it turned me off bigtime. I thought the Eclipse was hilarious because up until then there was no foreshadowing at all about what a Behilit was for. After the first episode it was just a bunch of medieval stuff and then BAM! your relic is a summoning device and now there are monsters everywhere eating everybody. And then the show ended. At the time I didn't know there was a manga, so all I could assume was that whoever wrote the story was a loving idiot.
That's what I like about it though. The horror and shock of another world filled with demons takes everyone by surprise, though the signs of it was there in little ways. The manga is more illuminating but the TV show emphasized the twist more in that regard. The show skipped only a few things, the assassins when they rescue Griffith and the Ape apostle. The assassins weren't that important. The Ape apostle would have ruined reveal of the Godhand, though he was important for Guts later because Guts wasn't afraid of the eclipse's demons as much due to him.

I view the show as focusing on the Golden age and that's why I think its a good place to start. Its easier to digest.

temple fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 25, 2013

temple
Jul 29, 2006

A.S.H. posted:

I always thought Guts was torn up over Theresia because the look she gave him as he was leaving reminded him of Casca. Miura even colors her with darker skin in the close up on her eyes to communicate this, at least that's what I gathered. He might on some level acknowledge what he did, but the wound that cuts the deepest is the reminder of his love.

Yeah, Theresia idolized her father like Casca idolized Griffith. Guts felt the guilt of acting rashly and it hurting someone, like how he and Casca used to argue back with the Hawks. He's a master swordsman but killing can't give people want they want.

There is a chain that I've noticed from the girl that gets killed and possessed, to Theresia, to Jill, to Farnese, to Schierke were Guts is getting better at dealing with women and people's sensitivity. I leave Caska out of this because she's harder to fit and their issues stem from before the Blackswords man arc. At first he doesn't care and the girl gets killed, then he still doesn't care but tries to help a girl regardless, then he helps Jill but its more to meet his ends, then he has the opportunity to kill Farnese but doesn't (much like the first girl that gets possessed) and finally with Schierke he lets her guide him. Its really subtle and the product of having years to develop a character.

If you really pay attention, there's scene in both the manga and TV show where Guts is on his way to the snake apostle and he notices a little girl getting carted away to the castle. Its a small touch but it shows how Guts is aware of other people's suffering. Its always in the back of his mind but as the story develops you see him take a more active role in sympathizing with people and women in particular.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Re: Casca and women

Casca joined the Hawks and picked up the sword (literally and figuratively) solely because she had something to defend. She had to defend her body and later Griffith. That's why the Eclipse was so traumatic because she not only lost the Hawks but Griffith took the one thing he gave her, which was her strength. She's not healed but I'd say nor is Guts. Its more than rape. She is sexualized but I wonder why Miura has to carry the blame for it when the world of Berserk and our world would do the same. I believe there is a point behind it and her rape is an indictment against everyone that sexualized her (including the reader).

I can't figure why Schierke needed to be naked. That bothers me but otherwise I would focus on what the female characters are given by Miura more so than what he takes away.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Still pissed that they left out the Baaki Raka though.
The TV show did too and that's why the TV show be considered the superior animated presentation of Berserk.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The Dragonslayer

Can anyone remember any instances of other people moving or carrying the Dragonslayer when Guts was unconscious or whatever? Some nerds were arguing about how its magic so only Guts can lift it or whatever. I think remember other people trying to carry it and they couldn't swing it but they could move it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Well, the nerds were talking about its like 200 lbs (90.7kg) and only Guts can use it because he's magical or its magical. Basically, its impossible to use. And I think it is longer than most swords and thicker to compensate. But most German long swords (or claymores, I think it is more of those) weren't has heavy as you would imagine and in reality, its just a big sword that any big person could use. Its just that Guts is probably the only big person around and therefore he's the only one that does use it. But the Dragonslayer isn't physically impossible, just heavy as hell (and tuned to killing demons).

temple fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 13, 2013

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Just get an email notification. It will let you know when a new chapter is ready. And then you check back here for the cool discussion!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I saw a similar video like that. But I still couldn't remember if anyone messed with the Dragonslayer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MejveUjpw8U

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Mozguz is like Zodd in that they are humanoid demons for Guts to fight. They are more on par with him than the other demons.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I like the Golden age as well. I like how the the supernatural elements were added because they were needed. The story could have ended naturally unless something spooky happened.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I like how the TV show had one scene from the Black Swordsman arc and then started straight with the Golden Age. The story of Guts is compelling enough. I guess some people like the world he lives in and some people like the character. I don't really care for the demon focused arcs because they turn Guts into Angry Sword Man. I like the chapters lets Guts show his humanity, from being innocent to ruthless.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I got 3 bills in the mail, I had a rough day at work, and Miura has done it again. It all evens out.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Ghost devil rape manga artist crosses the line with little girl pee-pee.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

IMO, Griffin seems manipulated by the Godhand to believing in his evilness because he never was portrayed as particularly bloodthirsty as a warrior. He sought to avoid unnecessary bloodshed and was shown to have deep regrets about the loss of his soldiers. The only malice he held was against royalty, specifically his political rivals and former sponsor. Other than that, battle was always a means to an end and not the primary vehicle for his ambition. He sold his tail for money, offered hospitality before aggression towards Guts, and cunning over brawn in conflict. I think the Godhand needed to fulfill a destiny and therefore had to convince Griffin in their ITS YO DESTINY speech. They perverted Griffith's ideals to serve theirs.

The whole thing is I think Griffith was right in sacrificing them. Not morally but logically. Griffith wasn't as much of a monster as an inevitability. The Godhand represents this end of ideals and a reduction of humanity to flesh.

As for raping Casca, I think it was he was using Casca and mortifying himself to the demonic world. The question is what would have happened to her if Skull Knight didn't come? Would she have survived the eclipse? Was he and the Godhand playing puppet-master?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Andrigaar posted:

This comes up more often than it should:
Party A - Rape is never acceptable. Even in fiction.

Party B - That horrific rape of Character_A by Character_B was amazing writing, but drat did it make me die a little inside.

Then Party A gets offended that anyone could justify a rape when Party B is just commenting on it from a narrative development and structure for dramatic change and severe trauma. Different discussions, same topic.

I don't know, it pisses me off so much that it was either good writing or just a low blow.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I never honestly liked him as a character, and it always came off more of,"you're important to my cause and thus me" than "I care about you".
This is what hurts me because I think Griffith and Guts are two sides of the same coin. Guts is complete resignation to death and the loss of humanity. He was stripped of his humanity before even knew he had it. That's why Guts is totally confused by the eclipse because he doesn't understand the defeat and dread of it. He never had anything to lose. It took Griffith raping Caska in his face for Guts to get the picture that the dream was over. Griffith lost his humanity over a long period of time. That's why Griffiths says "I sacrifice" like "I submit". His humanity was chipped away so slowly and thoroughly that in the end, he just gave away the last piece. It was worthless to him. Caska was the most interesting because her humanity was co-opted by others. First, her family and their hardships. Later, she was possessed (in more ways than one) by Griffith and Guts. She never owned herself. Her state now is a form of liberation. Skull Knights says "Maybe what she wants isn't what you want" to Guts and she is doing better for herself as an individual. She may seem wild or ignorant but she is truly free to do as she pleases. Maybe she doesn't need to be fixed.

Back to Griffith, I think all of the characters are dealing with alienation. Griffith's alienation is very subtle in that he treats people like tools but he himself is the greatest tool being used. Think of our good friend Corkus; he is essential to the story. He is the common man. He hates and fears Guts because Guts has no hope. Guts has no sense of nobility in Corkus's eyes. Griffith however gives Corkus all that he could desire. Griffith is like the smiley face, passive rebellion to the alienation of existence. Even though the Band of the Hawk are just bodies to the royal army, Griffith dares to defy them. Even in death, there is honor is having served the band and therefore Griffith. Corkus sees Guts and hates the reality of his life but hopes to be part of Griffith's legacy. Guts was alienated so early and the reader experiences it with him, so we sympathize. Griffith is the archetypal lonely leader that is only as good as what he can do for others. He sorta knows he will probably fail and he has to carry all that guilt and responsibility on his shoulders.

The scene when Griffith/Femto is dripping away and surrounded by his tears is dead on. He is being pushed down into the abyss by others. Unlike Guts being forcibly alienated by Gambino, he is aliened by everyone else's demands and hopes. He was just a mercenary leader before meeting Guts and fated to live or die by the king. Guts's zeal to survive ignited Griffith's own humanity. Griffith felt connected to Guts and he was Gut's "special person". I believe Griffith truly loved Guts because like true love, he couldn't explain it. Griffith was a far better friend to Guts than Guts was to him. Guts utterly betrayed him by leaving and then defeating him. Everything that went wrong with the Band was directly related to Guts leaving. I relate to both characters and I can see how Griffith is tragic but in a different way.

Berserk is such a good loving story. Half of Western philosophy is depicted in such relatable terms.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Even at his most idealistic his goal was basically "I want to become one of the nobility, because they're worthless and corrupt and I could do better."

All his encounter with the Godhand did was strip away his illusions about needing or caring about his human comrades. Femto is just Griffith at his most naked; the exact same state of mind as his crippled self, just now with limitless power to back it up.
I think the first line is a misstatement. Griffith recognizes that everyone, even the king, has station and is confined. However, Griffith's dream is really abstract. He wants to be the key that moves in the world beyond his birthright. He wants to be king because that's the biggest shift he could make as a commoner. But he recognizes the trap of existence and wants to defy it. This why he is the largest flame in the bonfire of dreams. He wants to represent change in of itself.

His Femto form is nakedness but is it his form or the form of ambition? Guts has a naked form as well, the beast. They both have identities and both have dark sides.

Ytlaya posted:

But the fact that he showed no regret after the fact (and he actually visited Rickert and the sword graveyard he made to check and see if he had any emotional response to it) sort of solidifies his position as an evil mostly-sociopath.
I think he was testing himself, which betrays a deeper character. He felt that he needed to discard his humanity to succeed (something Guts deals with as well). Maybe Griffith fears that he if has a connection to those he sacrificed, he will not be able to succeed.

temple fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 21, 2014

temple
Jul 29, 2006

notZaar posted:

To be fair, the crossbow isn't in the arm. He just straps it to it when he needs to use it. I do like the little touches on his armor, like the hook and strap he uses for his sword. It doesn't just float on his back like in a videogame.
I don't know where people get the idea that the crossbow is in his arm. He has to dramatically rip it off every battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

pnumoman posted:

Then again, what if Griffith pulls a double bluff and teams up with Guts to kill the rest of the God Hands, and Guts and Griffith and a (cured) Casca live happily ever after in a polyamorous relationship. (Totally plausible, I swear.)
My prediction aligns that with yours with slight modification. Griffith reveals it was all according to plan, becomes the phoenix of something (hope?) and Guts rides him into the idea of evil. The world gets thrown back into the dark ages and guts and casca are burned at the sake for being witches. By his new friends. In front of his sword. And his son becomes the next godhand. The dragonslayer marries the mechanical hand/cannon. Repeating crossbow is the maid of honor.

Elegant I might say.