Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Retard Robocop posted:

Oh... and I was going to chalk up Guts' ever growing jawline to an occasional change in assistants.

He does have Studio GAGA though they are just listed under "Staff"; Kentarou Miura is still the only one resposible for "Story & Art".

I would attribute a handful of weird panels in the last couple of volumes to assistants, but we may never know the extent of the staff's involvement in the actual drawing process. It is probably minimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

...and here's the record-time Evil Genius release of #300.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

badOrigo posted:

When I searched for 302 it showed that the raw was downloadable and that was a week ago. How long does it normally take before it get cleaned and translated?

#302 isn't actually out yet, no date has been given and it isn't scheduled for the coming two issues of Young Animal. We're looking at what is probably at least a couple more months before we get a raw.

#301 has been available from Evil_Genius for some time now.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

So, I'm playing the PS2 game but it gets old really fast, does it get any better once I leave the snow levels?

It gets bloodier, for what it's worth. Upgrading your sword speed to the max makes it slightly more bearable.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

So how about chapter 315

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Puck, and the lighter elements of Berserk in general, serve an incredibly important purpose; it's easy to just ladle on the horror and despair until it eventually becomes meaningless to the reader. It's not a question of comic relief so much as contrast, something to snap us out of the mundane grotesquerie, make us take a step back and go holy poo poo this is hosed up.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It's that time of the year again, for the 316th time.

Question is, will the nature of the armor change in any substantial way due to direct contact with the child-spirit-thing, or will it just be another case of Deus Ex Guts-snaps-out-of-it? I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

hi here is #317

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

NonEuclidean Testes posted:

I guess that means they'll be animating it in chunks? Like this movie might cover the beginning and all/part of the Golden Age arc, and then if it sells well later movies will cover other chunks? Anyway, this is loving awesome news!

According to ~official tweets~ the movies will cover "the entirety of the Berserk saga" and the project "will not take 10 years" which I guess means two things;

a) they're confident Miura will finish Berserk within a handful of years
b) they already have a lot of it (Golden Age and up to Millenium Falcon or more) animated and it's just a matter of playing catch-up with animating upcoming volumes

Or it's just marketing double-speak and "all of it" means "what we had when the project started (2008-ish?)".

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The Evil_Genius release of #319 is out, if you're into that sort of thing.

It looks like we might have the sea god's island arc wrapped up before the next inevitable break, maybe. The Berserker's Armor kind of makes drawn-out fights an impossibility.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The Evil Genius release of #320 (which has, should perhaps be noted, not been filtered into some form of abstract art) is out.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

#321 is out!

I like Isidro locking swords with the pirate captain again at the end.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

And here's the Evil_Genius release of #322

Dare we hope to be off the island before the end of the year? I think so.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Rakugoon posted:

He was just getting all of this year's out of the way to make room for the anime premier of Idolmaster.
The character designer of Idolmaster is directing the new Berserk anime. Which will be distributed by Warner Brothers.

This is true. (But it is also a-ok because Toshiyuki Kubooka was also Animation Director on motherfucking GUNBUSTER.)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Oh yeah, Berserk #323.

So the movie is called Golden Age Arc 1 Egg of the King. I assume this means there'll be two movies covering the Golden Age, the first climaxing with the showdown between Guts and Griffith we see in all the stills, and the second ending with the Eclipse.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

And also ears. I'll never forget the sadistic detail that went into portraying a man having his (anatomically correct) inner ear shot out by an arrow going through his head. Somehow.

Ekallo posted:

According to the scanlators it's real.

Evil Genius Forums posted:

Obviously we had to change the wording a bit for it to make sense in English, but the tone of the message is represented with great accuracy. Miura owns.
Nothing quite like being Beaten with your own words. :v:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I know they both write about "edgy" "rapes" but can we please not talk about "the GRRM" here it makes me very uncomfortable. I know it's not what you're looking for but may I recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire thread in the Book Barn :ohdear:

Jose posted:

Is Miura an extremely obese old man who could likely die at any second climbing up the stairs in his house though?
He's more liable to wear his hands down to bloody nubs while drawing, screaming at his assistants to get him more coffee and also ink this page needs more squiggly details.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

~break time~

Berserk #324

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is a dumb question, but:

Do you think mermaids existed before the great transformation, or do you think the stories a dad told his daughter created them?

I think of the entire island as a Schrödinger's Cat type of deal. Had they arrived before Fantasia manifested, the, er, waveform would have collapsed into a regular fishing village, worshiping the old gods on the side. With a loony outcast girl whose mother's death/disappearance was explained away with "mermaids" by her father.

Mermaids definitely existed before, but we don't have any idea as for how often their realm aligned with the human world pre-Fantasia.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

alright lads it's time for the 325th Berserk

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Weird request but is it possible to get that in 600x800 in the kindle's greyscale? It'd look nice for a screensaver I think...

Something like this?

EDIT: Uploaded the right image. It looks kind of bad but it is 4-color grayscale, which should be right for a first-gen kindle.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 10, 2011

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Cbouncerrun posted:

Mozgus wasn't really an Apostle though.
He was the product of the egg apostle, wasn't he? Speaking of which...

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

When Wyald died, it was revealed that he had been a pitiful wretch of a man before becoming an apostle. He was powerless, and probably frequently victimized by the plethora of horrible people in Berserkland.

It makes sense to me that somebody like that would revel in the opportunity to become the monster, rather than the victim. Suddenly, he was nearly invincible. He could take what he wanted. He could hurt who he wanted. Things that were beyond his ability to bear as a human were not an issue now that he was the monster.

I think that I understand Wyald.
The behelit apostle provides an interesting contrast. He was a man so downtrodden and abused he couldn't even fathom the notion of striking back at his oppressors or getting revenge in any traditional sense. He sacrificed his human form so he could give people (Mozgus & Co., the goat-man) what they wanted, and eventually sacrificed his apostle form to pave the way for a new age with Griffith's rebirth.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Isn't it a thing that branded sacrifices can't use behelits? The God Hand are big into causality and karma and fate- and as far as the fate of the world is concerned, all branded sacrifices are already dead.

Besides, the behelit has already been used by an apostle, the Count. Which wouldn't matter if behelits were just objects, but it's pretty clear they're carefully maneuvered into position for specific individuals in all or most cases. Much like in Hellraiser, it's not the simple act of solving the puzzle box that summons the Cenobites, it's the intent that does it.

Now, had those two things been the only things keeping Guts from using the behelit, Miura could easily write his way around it whenever he pleases - but so far Guts' entire character arc post-Eclipse has pretty explicitly been moving him away from that remote possibility. It's not a matter of becoming a monster to kill a monster, Guts is already dealing with being the monster.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 14, 2011

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Rakugoon posted:

On that idea of it being on a journey to its master still-- Could Griffith use another Behelit?

Miura plays the long game and it's obvious Puck's adopted behelit will wind up somewhere - it's an interesting idea, but I have no idea what Griffith would stand to gain from "using" a behelit again. The God Hand don't exactly have much to offer him at this point.

It might be used to draw others through the dimensional layers, into the Interstice and Vortex, I suppose. But post-Fantasia the boundaries are seemingly blurred enough to be non-existent anyway...

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

temple posted:

Well that's self contradictory.

Yes?

Guts was born from a corpse - he was never supposed to even exist, yet he was instrumental in "priming" Griffith for the fated Eclipse. After the Eclipse he is virtually an extra-dimensional being, yet continues to impact reality.

Skull Knight compares him to a fish jumping to escape the river of causality, the implication being that the outline of the fish's airborne trajectory and the rough time and place of its inevitable re-entry is determined by its movements within the waters of fate.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

To bring it a bit closer to Berserk talk, let's say Hitler 'resided outside of fate.' So WW2 is now a fated story with one actor outside of it. What does that change? If you do accept that Hitler lies outside of Fate's action, all of the events of Hitler's life are exactly the same as if Hitler resided inside fate's sphere of influence.

I know this is pretty esoteric, but I honestly find this stuff fascinating.

That's pretty much how I look at the events of Berserk so far. Skull Knight is fairly unfettered wrt: fate, whuch allowed him to... play a pivotal role in the advent of Fantasia. Which would have happened anyway, one way or another.

It seems that any outside action upon anything within the flow of causality is subject to some degree of predetermination, simply because everyone except a handful of actors is subject to a common subconscious. Assuming the Idea of Evil is not completely apocryphal, it is completely circular - both indirect product and and indirect producer of everything within Berserk's causality.

EDIT: Fate is a Thing in Berserk because causality itself (Idea) appears to have agency, though it most likely does not. Things happen, and are fated to happen because they do happen. Are there any examples of anything not going according to fate in any meaningful way in Berserk?

Apologies if this doesn't make much sense, I am way too tired for this

LordMune fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 17, 2011

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Zorak posted:

A thing to remember of the "born of the corpse" thing is that that's metaphorical and that people say "you're a non-person", not that he's literally a non-person and born literally of some undead thing. His mother died while she was pregnant and he managed to survive against "all odds". That's really it.

Yes, that's quite right. But it also establishes and illustrates Guts as being "outside" of the currents of fate, and his escape from the Eclipse adds to that. Guts' birth is probably a bit more important (on several thematic levels) than people have traditionally given it credit for, since Miura explicitly re-visits the "tree, death and birth" motif for Fantasia.

EDIT: Though that he "survived against all odds" despite his mother being dead is a potentially deceptive understatement. She didn't die in childbirth and she didn't pass away while pregnant - she was hanged. To me that seems thematically significant, but the sheer brutality of it could just be a case of early Berserk grittygrimdark-ery.

EDIT: oh my god I am so sorry for all this sperging

LordMune fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 17, 2011

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Ulio posted:

If they don't show the past, Gutts will look like random mercenary rear end in a top hat #14.

That's pretty much who Guts is for the entirety of the Golden Age though, rape victim or no.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Zorak posted:

[opinion conveyed as fact]

Personally, I think the new approach is cool as hell, particularly from a narrative standpoint. It beats it staying literally the same for eternity for no good reason. The narrative expands in new directions which is interesting as hell to me!
"This", as they say. Berserk has changed in some very interesting (and in a few cases quite bold) ways. The most readily-available example; how often do you see an action hero transform a rampaging murder-beast and actually having to deal with it rather than just having it treated as an available power-up? We may not all agree with some of Miura's decisions, but his writing shows a surprising amount of artistic integrity (for a seinen manga author, at any rate).

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

That poster is the greatest thing, I love it. :haw:

Really hating the way all the generic NPCs look in that Bazuso fight though- because that's what they look like, generic NPCs in a decade-old video game. Hopefully we won't see them up close much. I'll be honest, the more I see of the CG the less I'm feelin' it. And this coming from a guy who thinks the in-engine cutscenes in the Berserk PS2 game are as close to adaptation-perfection as we're going to get. Hopefully Studio 4C will pull through somehow; maybe it will all make visual sense when we see the full film.

Also, a new chapter of that ol' manga on the 27th. Something to look forward to.

EDIT: "Guts enjoys a burg" might be my new favorite bit of the Berserk canon.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It's pretty clear massive CG use was the only way to get this project off the ground. Especially since their ambitions seem to extend beyond the Golden Age arc.

It doesn't look great, but hey, at least it allows for actual movement in the battle scenes rather than frequent re-use of frames and slow pans over stills.

DamnGlitch posted:

Given Rebuild's "1 movie a year" claim was disproved about 5 years ago, I am highly dubious all three berserk movies will come out in one year.
They already have the releases scheduled though. Like, down to the month. There may even have been precise dates announced by now. I'm a believer.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The cutscenes in the PS2 game were so good hnnnng :flashfap: although it was kind of a chore to play.

Also this is relevant;
:siren: Berserk #326 :siren:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

You have a good point there. There seems to be some very light blurring in some of the action scenes we've seen, but that could just be video compression artifacts. Adding simulated motion blur/smear frames would probably make it look a quite a bit better.

Also here's that 327th chapter of Berserk.
No date for the next chapter because that's the way Miura rolls.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

notZaar posted:

Can somebody explain what this is, besides a hilarious sight-gag? I looked up the name and I see that he was an influential anime director, but is it something specific?

Puck appears as Jim Hawkins from the 1978 TV anime adaptation of Treasure Island, Takarajima.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

notZaar posted:

I don't want to drag this thread into a discussion about pedophilia in manga, but that rationalization is crap. Just looking at the panel and the way it's laid out and drawn, it's obviously fan service for the less savory comic enthusiasts in Japan. It's unfortunate that the rest of us have to deal with it in what is an otherwise excellent series.

This post actually made me go back and find the page in question, really look at it - and I'm not sure I agree with your assessment.

For a manga that has had Isma appear more often with clothes off than on (not sure if that's actually true but whatever), there is something off about that specific panel. Neither perspective or anatomy (ugh) are 100% - making me suspect it might be an assistant rather than Miura himself who drew it, but that's not really relevant - but it does not seem like it was supposed to be directly titillating.

Or it is, overtly, some kind of fanservice that I can't even parse and that's what is weirding me out about it. v:shobon:v

edit: why are we even talking about naked witches :negative:

LordMune fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 18, 2012

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Here's chapter 328, the first of three flashback chapters.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Ccs posted:

I'm hoping that this flashback is part of Gut's dream and that when he wakes up they'll be at Elf Island.
This is what I am betting on, personally. The re-introduction of elves in a setting that was already explored with Puck and a wounded Guts in a dungeon in the very first volumes would make little sense otherwise.

Am I the only one who finds Martino's sly manipulation of Guts almost heart-warming, especially when contrasted with Gambino's half-assed attempt to get him killed (in the flashback-within-the-flashback)?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Elentor posted:

I'm pretty sure these chapters are gonna be awesome but I'm so fatigued from not-elf-island I'm not sure I can bring myself to read them :(

I can't even imagine what it must have been like slogging through the Golden Age as it was being published, waiting for the Black Swordsman.

(Not singling you out or anything Elentor, but the Elf Island-centrism among Berserk fans is actually ridiculous and dumb.)

EDIT:

Soulcleaver posted:

Where I have I seen this guy before?

OH SHI

Please let this be a thing and not just lazy character design. PLEASE. :haw:

LordMune fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 14, 2012

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Here's the EG release of 329, which I like to pretend is a bit more readable maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The Evil_Genius release of #330 probably qualifies as old hat by now, but at least it looks pretty good.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Beyond that, I don't think the spirit of that flower is a fairy in the same sense that Puck and Ivawhatever are. More like the salamanders on Isidro's knife or the sylphs in Serpico's gear. Not to say that the elf king won't be the king of all weird fantasy bug people, but still, it's a distinction that bears noting.
Chicchi explicitly introduces herself as a flower spirit (rather than a fairy), but didn't Puck call himself a spirit of the wind at some point or [am I misremembering / was he just talking out of his rear end]? Which would be different from the Sylphs. Who knows.