Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gently caress that

no giant sword, no read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Laputanmachine posted:

Guts cannot use the behelit since he has the brand. Same for Casca.

I thought this was the case too but iirc they never explicitly state that anywhere, and Slan implies in Qliphoth that Guts could use the Behilit too if he were chosen by Fate

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

so

uh

I just finished watching the 97 anime for the first time and

what the frick

what should I do now?

read the manga from the start

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

Was this in color? I don't remember this being in color and the rereleased deluxe edition I just got is in black and white.

those first few pages were originally in color and you can tell because of how different they look in black and white. I'm not aware of any English release that actually retained the color though

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the opening few pages makes no sense to me in terns of guts' character but it does a great job telling the reader what they're in for

in conclusion, guts loving the demon that murdered corkus is a land of contrasts

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

sex workers have a better life expectancy in berserk than any other demographic

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

I thought I would be safe till the eclipse :stonk:

oh man just wait until you meet wyald

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo the wyald fight was freaking awesome and its omission from every anime adaptation is a crime

e: i haven't watched the anime in like 20 years, is Silat in it?

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 9, 2019

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

it may not have had any crucial story beats, but I thought it did a good job showing how far guts has come, how far away from being the black knight he still is, and just how goddamn insane apostles are when they cut loose

those are good things to establish right before the eclipse happens

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Wylad loving sucked and I was upset when he was one of the unlockable characters in the Berserk Musou. There were way more better characters to pick and they pick that douchebag.

i actually like the role wyald plays in the manga but yeah his inclusion as a playable character is loving terrible.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

since we're doing wyald chat again i'm just gonna repost this

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Crowning Griffith is gonna be at least three chapters of flowing hair.

Hmm, I wonder what all the chompy apostles (in the arena) will do once Griffith becomes respectable.

yeah as much as i really wish we were returning to casca, i've resigned myself to another year of griffith's immaculate hair

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ahhh, my guiding moonlight

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

Ok I'm confused as gently caress now

Chapter 283 Griffith is fighting the Emperor and uses the wind to dissipate his fog form and...he says it's a tie?

He says he can't kill him or take him prisoner because he can just turn to fog and escape, but the Emperor can't do this either cause if he escapes he loses his army...that sounds like a win-win situation for Griffith.

if the emperor escapes his army is going to get a ton of people killed on both sides but the real reason is that griffith wants the emperor to go home and do what he's about to do

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Next chapter is April 26th, apparently.

i like that the announcement shows griffith so i can properly temper my expectations

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo disney should buy the rights to berserk and add a berserk attraction to disneyland

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

oh hell yes, exposition chapters own

praying for your sanity, LordMune

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i can't believe [spoiler]wyald is alive and joining the party[/spioler]

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

How closely does it parallel Griffith/Casca? :11tea:

i really don't like the implications here and i have no idea why you think that comparison is apt

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

this is not the disney adaptation i wanted

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Saw this on reddit

lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

bobjr posted:

First page is Casca asking about the skull knight and Guts wonders what he’s doing.

Rest is Skull Knights Day Off adventures

i'm down for a comedy spin-off featuring skull knight's continuing adventures in accidentally helping the godhand

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo Gaiseric is the Skull Knight, since Slan refers to SK as "Your Majesty" back in chapter 220. I don't remember the part where they mentioned Gaiseric's opponent trapped in the tower, but my memory of the last 40+ chapters is kind of fuzzy. What chapter was that in? That prisoner's probably Void.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

Can't remember, I read it a few weeks ago :( I think it was Judeau telling a story, but I might be conflating it with the story about 4 or 5 angels coming down to raze the city.

ah, found it. in chapter 138, father mozgus explains that the tower of conviction once held a sage who proclaimed king gaiseric's sins, and he was tortured until angels descended

yeah that's gotta be void

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

oh man :smith:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Woebin posted:

Creepy sexualisation of a kid aside, this is neat. Really up for more non-binary protagonists.

The art is sort of skirting the border between sexualizing and taking a cue from "beautiful children" as depicted in classical art, I think. If not for Miura's track record with sexualizing kids in weird ways (i.e. the Piss Wrestling Saga) I'd be more willing to give it a pass.

:same:

i really like the setting, and I'm already rooting for the protagonist. the art is great and like you said it has that "classical art" feel to it. if i didn't know much about miura then chances are i would have given the first two chapters the benefit of the doubt when answering the question "is this included because it's art, or because the artist is horny"

oh gently caress off, we can have a brief conversation about art styles without the need to call each other pedophiles

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

if it's truly bad enough that it could get the thread shut down then making a thread dedicated to discussing it seems unwise imo

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

so far duranki has had zero depictions of children being sexually assaulted, which cannot be said of berserk

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i feel that the series constantly being on hiatus has allowed people to forget just how absurdly creepy berserk is. berserk has guts's backstory, the lost children, a few scenes with schierke including a lovely throwaway joke about her getting molested by tentacles, and like everything having to do with the merrow girl. but we're still able to discuss the manga because we are adults and we can have a discussion without allowing the creepy stuff to dominate the conversation.

like, i'm not exactly happy with duranki either but calling for a complete ban on discussing any aspect of what miura is currently working on feels like an overreaction to me. and maybe i shouldn't, but i generally trust my fellow posters to not be creepy, especially in this thread which managed to make it through gigantomakhia unscathed

i do get where you're coming from though, solice kirsk. i really value this thread because it's the only place on the internet you can really trust people not to be creepy about berserk, and if it got shut down i don't think i'd look elsewhere to discuss it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i ain't gonna read a male power fantasy with a sword that tiny

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

I am weirded out by people who feel strongly enough about child nudity in media to defend that nudity. Like whether or not you SHOULD be allowed to draw naked kids is I guess a philosophical discussion you can have. But why would you? What are we losing by NOT having naked kids?

Ideally nudity in media wouldn't be inherently sexualized but that's what happens in modern America and I'm assuming Japan as well?

that's not what's going on here. no one is saying it's good. what we have here is a discussion about whether the presence of child nudity means that any discussion about any aspect of this miniseries should be banned. in a thread about a manga from the same author that occasionally features child nudity. the criticisms being leveled at duranki feel weird to me, not because they aren't valid, but because i think the child objectification is worse in both berserk and gigantomakhia and those didn't generate a reaction this forceful.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

starting to feel like i was being a bit naive earlier. i balked at banning duranki chat earlier because imo berserk contains worse content, but i'm getting the feeling my perspective is off.

well, whatever happens, i just hope this doesn't kill the thread. one time i went to reddit to see what their berserk discussions were like and it was just filled with gross donovan jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ah i see it's in qcs too