Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

New poster for the third movie from :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Viz also has a trailer for the english dub out. It sounds ok, I guess. The actor for Guts sounds better than he did back in the early 2000's, but the others sound the same.

I wonder what new stuff the "hardcore" crowd will latch on to and nitpick the poo poo out of. :allears:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Really awesome that the CGI is getting better with each film. Didn't Miura ask them if they could adapt the Black Swordsman chapters next?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

laplace posted:

Edit: On a related note, the English dub of the first film actually makes it better. The entire cast didn't return, but Griffith, Guts, Casca, and Judeau have excellent performances by their original actors.

I had been meaning to post the same thing - I was really pleasantly surprised by the quality of it. The actors (and their direction, for that matter) has improved so much, I think the only comparison I can make is the difference between Funimation's DBZ and Kai dubs, it's such a huge improvement. My only issue with it is, and it could just be my setup, it sounded like the actual volume of the voices was a bit higher than it should have been and kind of drowned out the music\sound at times. I switched between both audio tracks just to be sure and it really did sound like there was a difference between the Japanese and English tracks.

I also like that they even made the weird flashback scene with Gambino a little better with lines that are actually (gasp) understandable.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

The only thing I need to know about this dub is if it has any outtakes or not :colbert:

Nope, the only extras are a trailer for Neon Alley and some production drawings.

It's weird because the dub itself is great but the actual release is pretty :effort:. I was really hoping they would put in something like the original pilot that was pitched to Miura because I've only ever seen clips of it here and there.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Boscogn's death has been uploaded online: (spoilers, obviously) http://vimeo.com/55362937

All I can say is :laffo: they chose to go with throwing a flag over having Zodd toss down his sword, what in the gently caress? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

jsun posted:

As awesome as the third movie looks I don't think I can watch it. I have a hard enough time reading the part where Caska gets raped that I couldn't stomach seeing it in glorious HD. I'm just a big pussy I guess. :(

Naw, it's uncomfortable as hell. The animation looks like a big improvement too which will likely make it even worse. :smith:

I'm still excited as hell at the prospect of getting post-Eclipse stuff animated, poo poo like the fight with Mozgus should at least look pretty awesome.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Raku posted:

Miura's gravestone will read BERSERK WILL RETURN ON ________

"TIL NEXT TIME!"

:smith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

After they're done with One Piece and Fist of the North Star, Koei should do a Warriors game in the Berserk universe. :getin:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm kind of torn with the second movie because once again it's not nearly as loving terrible as the :japan: fans were making it out to be, but the pacing is pretty atrocious. The removal of the Bonfire of Dreams sequence and the Queen subplot really fucks with everything.

The 100 man fight is absolutely brutal and loving awesome, on par with the assassination from the first movie.

I also have to admit, I like how they slightly altered Adon with having him captured and used as a way to get into Doldrey which makes more sense than his weird rear end fake death routine and Casca and the other reinforcements just randomly appearing at the gates behind thousands of troops.

Also the cameos by Puck, Serpico, and Farnese aren't really that bad, as the way some people had been talking about it made it sound like it was some really blatant poo poo but it's, what, a split second for them? Who cares?

The change to the fight with Boscogn is just needlessly dumb, and I really, really missed the scene with Guts in the bar with Corkus and Judeau. It's such a shame, because with more competent writing\editing\direction\everything, a lot of the character development that was in the manga and original anime feels like it could have been easily kept in.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Doublehex posted:

I still don't understand why the scanlators bitched about that. I mean...why would you use a very Engrishy name in favor of one that is actually pronounceable and makes sense for the setting?

Because glorious nippon :japan: (or something)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I think the speculation is that he's either working pretty far ahead so that chapters can get released in a more timely manner as work continues (for the sake of Young Animal and the movies perhaps) or could be helping out in some smaller way with future OVA's\films, approving changes and things not unlike what he did for the original anime.

Kind of hoping it's both because after watching the second movie I'm still absolutely baffled as to why they thought ballroom dancing was a better scene than the Bonfire of Dreams sequence. :psyduck:

The dub is still really good though - Mike Pollock still loving owns as Adon.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Be warned though, it's 15 years old now and the animation wasn't amazing even when it was new, although it officially has one of the top five best anime soundtracks ever, which makes up for a lot.

There are Blu-ray rips floating around and they surprisingly give the animation a big bump in quality that makes it far more watchable. It's a shame it probably won't be released outside Japan, because the DVD's haven't aged well.

Soulcleaver posted:

I'd read Monster

Monster is spectacular, but good luck finding the TV show online without resorting to :filez:, because it's no longer on YouTube, Hulu, Netflix or anything else. :smith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Undead Unicorn posted:

And they never released the entire series on DVD :bravo:

I remember reading (and thinking) about how loving badly Viz Media botched releasing it. They put it on SyFy of all channels IIRC, dubbed the whole loving thing (no small feat at something like 60 or 80 episodes or some poo poo) and barely promoted it or marketed it in any real way and when, shockingly, no one buys the first DVD release because no one knows what the gently caress it is they go "welp," and pull the plug entirely, making it literally impossible to watch the series without pirating it as it now isn't even loving available on Amazon Prime to purchase. e: wait nm, the website says it can still be purchased on iTunes only? Why bother removing it from Prime or the other services. :psyduck:

:bravo:, indeed. They could have pulled a Cowboy Bebop and gotten people interested who otherwise wouldn't be but, hey, Viz Media and all that.

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 29, 2013

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

My buddy has the whole set on dvd which I watched. It was about 6-10 discs if I remember correctly.

Were they rips from iTunes\Amazon? Because the series definitely hasn't had a full release in North America, only the first volume.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:ssh: We were talking about Monster.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm only finding this out now but apparently a translation patch was finally finished and released for the PS2 game that came out years ago. I'm playing through it right now and it's not exactly great but the character animation is really nice and it's satisfying as hell to annihilate loving everything with the Dragon Slayer. The patch has quite a bit of poorly worded text but it's hard to complain.

I still find it a little odd this never made it outside of Asia, but IIRC part of that was due to the issues facing Sammy's US division. It's really odd that the first game made it over here as I don't even think the anime or the manga were licensed in North America during that time, but the sequel got completely passed up despite having an established, albeit niche, audience clamoring for loving anything past the Eclipse. I think the graphics were good for its time, the cinematics are nicely done, and there are some :krad: moves Guts pulls off during boss battles that I'm sure would make Miura proud.

The counter/reversal system is a nice touch, but leveling up feels way too slow. This game also makes me really miss the original Japanese actor who played Guts, that dude knows his poo poo when it comes to sounding utterly pissed off and yelling and everything.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I know I shouldn't have clicked that but I did and holy gently caress :stare: is that Rickert slapping the poo poo out of Griffith :vince:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pleiades posted:

I heard that there was a break after this, but I hope it's not true.

Jesus loving christ, what would he need a break for now? :negative:

I try to give benefit of the doubt when it comes to this poo poo but it's gotten so drat frustrating at this point

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

notZaar posted:

From makes clunky buggy games. Platinum should have the Berserk license, they know how to make a fun brawler.

Oh my god, Platinum making a Berserk game with the kind of dismemberment in Metal Gear Rising :aaa:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Laphroaig posted:

I hate anime

This is probably a good thing

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Salsa McManus posted:

Whatever happened to the movie series?

They're dead :rip:

I think everyone is still in a holding pattern to see if they actually adapt anything more, but I have no idea how the Golden Age films did financially.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The first two movies really struggle with that, and some scenes get it right (Guts first fight with the band of the Hawk) and are able to be their own movie while still telling the same story as the manga, but then other scenes aren't sure of how to make that balance work, like the calvary battle at the start of the second movie, which again resorts to more manga style storytelling and pacing for a when Guts and Casca fall off the cliff.

It's loving weird how some scenes are engaging and really well done (the assassination in the first film comes to mind) and then there's stuff like extended ballroom dancing, removing Godo/any mention of Guts time spent away from the Hawks, replacing Zodd with a flag pole toss in the Boscogn duel (seriously :wtc:), no Bonfire of Dreams, etc.

I get that doing three movies with that amount of material is no easy task, but, god drat, to me it felt like they really missed the mark.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

apropos to nothing posted:

Just read through this over the past 3 days for the first time. It's the first manga I've ever read and I only started because I heard about how it influenced Demon's/Dark Souls/Bloodborne and wanted to see the inspiration. It's probably one of my favorite stories now. I was really worried going in to that I would be turned off because I had heard about the hyper violence and rape and with the latter I was really afraid it would be used to titillate, but was thankful to see that it hasn't been played that way at all.

I also worried that because it's been going on for over 2 decades now that the author might have just been phoning it in towards the end but the pacing is consistent and really good throughout the whole thing. Waiting for new material for months has got to suck and I'm sure it makes the pacing feel way worse, but when reading the story through all at once it felt very tight. Basically just color me shocked that I actually really enjoyed this and am gonna be reading it as it comes out from now on. Never been a fan of anime generally and have never actually read through a manga before now but I'm glad I read this one cause it's great and would encourage anyone to give it a try because again, it's great. Only downside is I've managed to GRRM myself yet again by getting into another as yet unfinished fantasy series that has no end in sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ

It's going to really suck when Miura dies and nothing is resolved.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

dear god no

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Officially confirmation. Berserk to return this September as a monthly series. And it looks like the first chapter back will be 100 pages.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-08/berserk-manga-confirmed-to-resume-as-monthly-series-this-month/.90187

so happy right now

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gently caress yeah, Silat's back

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Berserk is actually back, holy poo poo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

It was pointed out to me that in one of the scenes when Skull Knight swallows the behelit Miura used the sound effect of an object hitting something hollow. So SK is basically an empty armor.

This sound was also used in the cameo at the end of the Dreamcast game when he shows up and swallows the Behelit that belonged to Balzac. IIRC, it sounded like dropping a rock in big, empty tin can.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

e: holy what the gently caress, Miura and Buronson did a manga together? :stare: I need to read this yesterday

They did two actually - that and King of the Wolves. I hear the Japan one is overly nationalistic and eyeroll inducing at times but I haven't read i.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

notZaar posted:

Aren't the Band of the Hawk scanlations the ones that read like auto translated gibberish? I seem to remember it being really bad especially around the Tower of Conviction volumes.

They're also irritating as gently caress because of poo poo like "Gurufsu" instead of Griffith constantly.

Thank god for the Dark Horse releases.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I know the PS2 and Dreamcast games are along the same lines, but I'd love a Golden Age-era Musou game.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

For real though, Idolmaster jokes aside, what in the gently caress does Miura do to make a living, is he actually taking years to draw a few loving chapters here and there or is he taking an advisory role for the new anime or loving what

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hahaha oh man, why the gently caress are they so bad at CGI.

Just make a new show using the Dreamcast game's engine, that would probably look better.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm not opposed to some :krad: buttrock in Berserk, but it would take some time to get used to it.

Ccs posted:

You guys saying it looks like the PS2 cutscene need to take a second look at that PS2 game. This is much higher quality.

Going back and rewatching it, yeah, it's not as bad as I thought it was originally. I think it's the stiff walking animation that made me cringe the most, but it looks alright once it switches to hand drawn face later on. And not to beat a dead horse on how well the games nailed the look/sound of Berserk, I wish they would use that sound that the Dragonslayer makes when it swings through the air, that made destroying poo poo in those games so satisfying with how heavy it sounded.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ZZZorcerer posted:

Platinum should make a Berserk game

Blade Mode from MGR with the same sort of ability to dismember people but with a Dragonslayer :eyepop:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Reds posted:

Well, no use moping about it. I know it won't happen, but I really want the 90s anime voice of Guts to return. He's the only Guts I'll recognise.

Dude's voice is cool as poo poo, but nope, they didn't get him back for the movies. They got some other guy who hasn't really done that much which makes me believe they probably couldn't afford to hire the old cast or something along those lines.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Should I watch the original Berserk anime?

Yes, particularly now that they have a remastered version of it (I mean, it doesn't look that good of a show anyway but they still managed to give as much an HD treatment as you can) but getting the Bluray rips is pretty much :filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I hope they skip important scenes and replace them with utterly useless ones.

"I mean, we have this whole subplot about the queen wanting to kill Griffith and his revenge is a huge part of showing just how cunning and dangerous Griffith is becoming, and there's also that 'bonfire of dreams' thing that's a pretty big deal, but idk, I think people want to see some ballroom dancing, that just screams Berserk."