Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

notZaar posted:

What's the crossover here? I don't recognize the other style.

I think it's just a cartoony drawing of Guts in Beast Mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Pensive posted:

No. This is someones fursona (and was drawn by the same artist as the above image).

I think it's offensive that someone is basing their fursona off of Guts' very real problems with coping with his innate bloodlust and the nagging temptation to sacrifice the only person he's ever loved for immortality a release from the constant suffering and strife that is his life.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Are most fans of Berserk this awful?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

U-DO Burger posted:

The author wrote a short story where the hero drinks a little girl's piss, it should not surprise you that his fans are terrible.
.....Please give me some details about this.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I seriously can't parse the piss-drinking in Gigantomachia as anything other than a weird joke.

Also, yeah, if you think Shakespeare was any more highbrow than Miura go read Titus Andronicus

e: seriously, god drat

Maybe what this play needed was some unintrusive comic relief like Puck (Berserk Puck, not Midsummer's Night) provides

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This guy sounds like a boss.

Aaron has no excuse for the things he has done, but he was always living for himself first and foremost and in a way was the most human of them all

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly Starz would probably be the best home for a Berserk show. It would also make it slightly more likely that it'd be showran by DeKnight, which is a match made in goddamn heaven.

(And while we're talking pipe dreams, Manu Bennett as Guts or bust.)

I want it to be of similar quality to the Fist of the North Star movie. And to also feature Dante Basco. He can be Puck.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Everyone is Eddie Murphy

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Postal Parcel posted:

Too busy celebrating the idols' birthdays

Pictured: Miura's House

e:

Yes, it is the place where Caska MAY get fixed.
BIIIIIIIIG MAY on that

What if she regains her sanity, tells Guts she loves him and immediately commits suicide because of all the bullshit that's happened to her/them/the world. Would that be the most Berserk thing possible?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What was with the shots of Daiba looking at the Kushan guys? I know he probably recognizes them, as semi-important people in his former nation, but do you think this means anything? Do you think he has some last role to play in all this?

Also, apparently orcs are among the evil magical creatures? Have we seen an orc?.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'd imagine that if Rakshas was sent by Griffith and not Locus, it's because of legitimate reasons like Rickert being a potential threat, and not petty indignation.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
:dunkedon: , Raksha

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
And within 2-3 months we'll probably find out what was in the basement in Attack on Titan.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

muike posted:

Do you remember what the armor looked like before Guts' inner demon possessed it for the first time? Very, very similar to the Skull Knight's appearance. I imagine the Skull Knight is basically what you see, and it's a reflection of his subsumption into the armor.

So is Guts going to become an immortal werewolf man at the end?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What was the significance of the "Godhand splash pages" we see when the World Transformation happens? The ones where we see Contad made of rats, Ubik chilling inside the Hieronymus Bosch painting, Slan at the end of a giant tunnel made of naked people, and a closeup of Void's brain?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Genocyber posted:

That the Godhand are having fun in Midland.

Oh so now they're all on the physical plane? And unlike Griffith aren't back in reconstructions of their mortal bodies?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Serious Frolicking posted:

Though the monsters are also in falconia, of course. It probably sucks for people who just aren't cool with monsters in general, which is a very reasonable stance in this setting.

I mean, the Apostles who aren't intelligent/civil/"humanish" enough to live amongst humans without and risk of eating them have to live in their own part of the city, where they're occupied with endless gladiator matches against trolls and ogres.

Also I didn't know that the "Godhand dimension" got sqaushed into the real world, I thought it was just the "fae folk pixies and elves and trolls" dimension that did that.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is this a direct continuation of the 2012 series? I've never seen Berserk in any animated form, but I might if it's going to continue past the golden age stuff.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

klapman posted:

I'm not sure I have a choice in the matter at this point, man. I've had the Ghosts I-IV album playing constantly while I read it and it's almost perfect for Berserk. I'm in the middle of volume ten and I just can't stop

e: omg griffith :stonk:

NANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANA BATMAN!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah but it cuts out the nude severed torso standard army

What is the nude torso army? It's been a while since I read Golden Age.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

bloodborne........

The whole Souls series, really.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
A Berserk game by Platinum would certainly be nice. And one guy who works at Platinum once said that hypothetically making a Berserk game would be cool, and then everyone on the internet freaked out and assumed that meant it was happening. It wasn't even Kamiya, the director of the company.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

freelop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZO89Zo0DW4
There was a PS2 game.
Haven't played it so dunno if it's good but it looks decent and the sword makes a good sound.

The villain's name is Balzac.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
You mean Bazuso? The guy who is also the inspiration for Catarina Onion Armor?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I've never seen any animated Berserk thing aside from the gag reel of the 90s OVA dub. Should I just skip the 90s OVA and watch the movies? I can handle bad CGI, the only thing that will be jarring for me is deep voiced Skull Knight since I've always imagined him sounding like a more somber and serious Skeletor.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

dis astranagant posted:

He's rear end deep in the Black Swordsman arc and Guts is still refusing to interact with anyone he can't stab.

I haven't read in a while and forget most of it too but IIRC the Black Swordsman arc is the "Guts is an rear end in a top hat" arc which is there to set up his journey of becoming less of an rear end in a top hat in the subsequent arcs.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Was this model just taken from a stock 3D model library with generic saint statues?

Because otherwise I don't get what a lowercase T has to do with the Hawk Religion.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Midland had some kind of religion which was clearly modeled on Christianity and was already established for many generations prior to Griffith co-opting it.

Although I suppose it's possible that if the Godhand were involved, then Griffith's arrival would have been prophesied, and in that case maybe their iconography should have been hawk-based all along.

Oh sure, the religion in the story is very blatantly Not-Christianity, but they have a symbol and it's this:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Awesome Welles posted:

Just get OLM or whatever the gently caress company did it back in 97 that also did Pokemon (lol), if it had animation on par with that I'd honestly be OK.

At least the new series has a dope opening, I feel like that's the only thing they did well minus white washing Casca

Except the opening is trash and sounds like it belongs in front of a generic shonen.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I hear Wyald is in the game but Grunbeld will be relegated to DLC, if he's in it at all.

If you're going to cut anything, please by all means cut Wyald.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of, any characters you'd particularly like to see as playable in the new game? Most of the Neo-Hawks are going to be obvious answers, but I want to give a shout out to Mozgus. I bet he'd be really fun in both forms. Isidro and Puck as a single character could be pretty neat, too.

I want to play Donovan.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Does Farnese ever actually fight? Or, do violence against anyone that isn't herself or a restrained Guts or helpless poor person heretic?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Rodyle posted:

Read the manga.

Oh with the stuff Shierke taught her?.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
How is the game/anime going to get around showing Slann's cooch? I mean in the anime they can just make sure the tips of her wings always cover it up like in the comic in any scene her model is in, but for the game???

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Here's a silly question --- I think I just skipped a groove or something --- but why is Guts spending so much time on Casca? I mean, would this be safely categorized as "unhealthy holding onto the past"?

As someone else quantified, Casca hasn't been herself since book 13. In thinking through this, I got to the point of remembering that Guts was living for himself in Lost Children, and it wasn't really until Casca wandered off from the cave that Guts "realized too late that he lost something without having realized it". Then he drags Casca around because he's the only one that can protect her. Is it just The Branded sticking together? It wasn't until they got to Flora that it was revealed that maybe she could be healed, right?

Sorry, I just got up this morning and had a big disconnect. What is the motivation here for Guts to get Casca healed after all these intervening events?

Gee I dunno maybe he wants a person to love to be cured of her PTSD-induced mental retardation?
Also wandering around alone with nothing driving him but killing Apostles is what formed that Helldog in his psyche, that's always going to be there, urging him to use the Behelit, sacrifice Casca, and dehumanize himself and face to bloodshed.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Berserk is good because it's about an 80s-early 90s edgelord, why he became an edgelord, and his journey to slowly stop being an edgelord.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Good soup! posted:

I think the third episode was actually ok, the pacing didn't feel like it was moving at a breakneck speed but everything still seems off, also what's up with Grunbeld eyes, I thought they would be more red and black but hey this is New Berserk so who the gently caress knows at this point.

I always imagined Grunbeld as purple since his armor is basically Nidoking shaped

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Yardbomb posted:

I want some of Locus, guy seems neat.

There's already a book about his backstory. It's called The Disaster Artist.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Makes sense. Griffith wants to think of himself as a hero, even as he acts as an abuser and a rapist. He has a self-justification for everything he's done, but is still vaguely aware that throwing people's lives away is wrong. He wants Rickert to forgive him because he did what he had to and what his men (at least in his mind) gave him permission to do -- to use their lives in pursuit of his dream -- and now he thinks he can move forward and away from all of that.

I forget. Did he send Rakshas to kill Rickert or did Locus send him/Rakshas did it himself?

And if he did send him I assume it's from a combination of recognizing Rickert is a threat, and being incredibly mad at Rickert but not wanting to show it in front of his underlings.

VVV I think Miura said he regrets including the Idea of Evil and that it will never be directly mentioned again. I'm not sure if he said how "canon" it still is. Even if it is canon I think it's just there to be a nebulous abyssal overbeing who's just there to explain that the world is so poo poo because of a positive feedback loop of hatred and suffering and fear causing people to act lovely and cause more violence and fear and suffering.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Makes sense. Griffith wants to think of himself as a hero, even as he acts as an abuser and a rapist. He has a self-justification for everything he's done, but is still vaguely aware that throwing people's lives away is wrong. He wants Rickert to forgive him because he did what he had to and what his men (at least in his mind) gave him permission to do -- to use their lives in pursuit of his dream -- and now he thinks he can move forward and away from all of that.

It's a testament to Miura's writing that I hate Griffith more than pretty much any other fictional character, yet also do empathize with him in the Golden Age arc as he watches his dreams of schmoozing and massacring and assassinating his way to the top crushed before his eyes. It's all about how you frame the character.

Like that part where he crashes the wagon into the lake shore, about a minute before he finds the behelit, and he's about to try and commit suicide by impaling himself on a piece of driftwood, but he notices one of his useless withered noodle-arms has broken in the crash, and he just looks a it and laughs... :(

Still. gently caress Griffith and I hope he suffers the worst fate cosmically possible in this setting.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Schubalts posted:

It was pretty clear that Locus sent Rakshas, if Rakshas didn't do it on his own. Griffith was shocked, but accepted Rickert's decision to leave Falconia. Then it cut to Locus, frothing in rage at The Slap and that Griffith just let it slide.

So Griffith is actually completely cool and collected in his pursuit of his dark ambitions, and only gets mad when Guts is involved? He says that he feels nothing when he sees Guts in his Femto form but I completely refuse to believe that. Or at least, not in his reincarnated form that's also partially the Baby.