Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

I posted:

The manga backstory had a fairy in it. Maybe it's related to fairy island.
And the reason Guts will never reach it.

If this elf turns out to be the same dead one in the jar that almost made Puck faint (in the old man's secret lab from the apostle Count arc) I will seriously cry. And my tears will run black as pitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Anatharon posted:

Is the main character properly called Guts, or Gatts? I haven't seen the Japanese or official translation yet. :shobon:

I always assumed he was named after how he was found as a newborn: in the spilled guts of his mother, who was dangling above in the lynching tree. :unsmigghh:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Holy loving poo poo what did I just read and why can't I stop grinning. Part 4 owns!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Sakurazuka posted:

Guts died on the way back to his home planet.

Guts killed everyone on the way back to his home planet :black101:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Zenzirouj posted:

So, what is Berserk being crossed with? It seems like I've seen the animal thing before, so I assume it is another popular series.

Yeah. Like Cake said, Madoka Magica. For context: the girl in the beret has her head bitten off in the original scene, then eaten as her two horrified friends watch. The magical cat-thing is secretly an evil being with an agenda, which is why Guts' brand reacted to it and why he casually fired a round into it while slicing the actual Witch (the doll in the chair).

That's also why him giving her back her hat is :3: she still has the equipment to wear one :haw:

All the animes should have Guts in it.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
"Japan" works even better if you read it as the origin of Skull Knight

Seriously though, it was a fun read, even if the overall message was "gently caress YEAH JAPAN!"

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
That Dreamcast game seems pretty spot on Berserk, and the opening credits are pretty awesome for just them walking into town.* I can look past the dated graphics and voice acting (I like Puck's no matter what).

Little things like the little girl in the background being frightened of Guts (and him glancing back and realizing it) are really nice touches. Also I :smith: a little at Casca not being afraid of Guts (yet).

*Note: "Forces" playing in the background makes anything instantly better, but still.

Fake edit: While the rest of pink babble's ramble is indeed something awful, a game mechanic where you have to catch brief catnaps (and have demons slowly build up around you while you do) or suffer damage penalties might be pretty cool, if it's done right. Either Guts plays it safe and gets overwhelmed or he plows forward and gets overwhelmed.

Even if it's like an arcade-y Legend of Zelda, I cannot believe there hasn't been some kind of remake of a Berserk game.

edit:

Maxwell Adams posted:

I'm actually selling a copy of this right now. It's a terrible game. The voice acting is awful, the camera tries to kill you, quick time events kill you, and the difficulty spikes begin as soon as you start playing.

A remake that isn't Dark Souls, I mean.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Lamebot posted:

He'll colonize the stars with a wagon train.

No, no, let's not get silly here.

Clearly when Grif used the behilt, his pact included the wagon he just tried to escape in. This is the true reason so many wagons are going up into the castle- to truly become Godhand, he must have another eclipse only with wagons as the sacrifice.

This will lead to a two year tangent until we finally catch up with Guts, when it is revealed 'Elf Island' was the name of the ship they are on and they never had to leave port.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Edit: double phone post due to lovely cell reception.

Edit 2: Naturally, Rickert will somehow avoid being caught up in the upcoming wagon eclipse.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 26, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Say Nothing posted:

I think it's a good theory that Griffith is set to sacrifice everyone in Falconia to become an uber-god.

It really is, and it's borne out by Griffith's entire career (as seen via flashback during the Eclipse). There's always another, shinier castle on the horizon, and there'll always be a need to build a bigger, bloodier corpse-bridge to get to it.

The scene with the dead kid mercenary and his toy soldier is a good look into Griffith's mind set. He's a chessmaster, and no matter how much he tells himself that he loves his comrades, others will always be chess pieces to him: a means to get to that loving golden castle.

I think that will ultimately lead to Godhand's downfall: they are also chess pieces in Femto's ambitions. He simply cannot abide not being in total control. And that may be what (finally) gives Guts a weakness to exploit.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

IronicDongz posted:

Really? Why's it a hosed up demon thing, then?

Guts is the natural father of the "Moonchild". Casca carried it until she was raped by Femto during the Eclipse. She and Guts were never intended to survive the Eclipse, and Skull Knight made a last second rescue which (hopefully) was never part of the Godhand's plans.

Casca miscarried shortly after the Eclipse from all the trauma, but because the fetus was exposed to the Eclipse and Femto's corruption, it survived outside her womb and vanished in the light of dawn.

Later the fetus made friends with the Belhilt Apostle (the one that was literally a giant Belhilt), and it merged together with it to form Griffith's new earthly body.

Or, to put it bluntly, Griffith is his own grandpa.

Not sure why we're spoiling this but I guess there are lots of new readers in here, too.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Wachepti posted:

Uhhhhhhh so what was the deal with the child just hanging around and the vanishing at various points in the story? And why did the child look like Griffith if it was Guts' and Casca's

"It is natural for a child to long for its parents." - Paraphrasing from an actual line.

It may have been corrupted by Griffith, but it's still Guts and Caska's child, and it knows it. That's why it stalked Guts all those times pre-second Eclipse.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

ANIME AKBAR posted:

This really doesn't fit with Miura's narrative style though. This isn't Shingeki no Kyojin or something, when Miura hints at something he usually makes it obvious, like with how he introduced the Behelit Apostle.

That's a pretty good point, too. I just want Guts and Casca's sorta-kid to be happy. :smith:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Ethiser posted:

It's going to be all two page spreads of them walking towards each other. Next chapter will be out in November 2015.

With close ups of the wind blowing through Griffith's perfect hair taking strategically placed throughout the chapter.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I swear to goodness if some sort of bullshit makes the entire elf island quest pointless like, it doesn't exist anymore or that elves can't actually stop demons I am gonna be upset.

If Casca suddenly snaps back and makes the entire point of the trip moot well then okay I guess I can deal.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Libluini posted:

Sudden twist: Turns out Elves are Demons, too.

Everything is demons and Guts never actually left the Eclipse. :ohdear:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Edit: spoiler that loving poo poo, man! I know you meant well but gently caress.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

notZaar posted:

I don't know about specific references but Dark Souls definitely nails the mood of the darkest parts of the comics.

There's quite a few. Both have blacksmiths named Rickert, for example, and one of the heroes you can summon for a boss battle is the witch Beatrice, who is a ringer for Schierke. There's a number of bosses that have nods to Berserk, such as the moonlight moth boss in the old forest.

Also honkin' big swords, and I think Dark Souls II had a Dragonslayer, after it was discovered that everyone including the devs attempt a 'Guts run' once or twice in their Dark Soulin' careers.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Dear Griffith,

I am here to bite you in the rear end,

Love,
The poo poo talking you did back at the Hill of Swords!

P.S. Rickert :swoon:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Gosh, everyone is getting so pretty and pouty as time goes on.

vvv Edit: Which was his plan all along. :aaa:

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 5, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Butt Ghost posted:

I have no idea why I was following this thread until now. I will go read Berserk, brb

And so another magical journey began...

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well I'm hesitant to jump on this again but, actually -- assuming Schierke is the name used in the official translation -- it's the name of a small village in northern Germany, in a region historically renowned for legends about witches. :eng101:

So probably not a mistake.

Whereas this apparently was a genuine coincidence.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I'm pretty sure this is a major tipping point, and we will see how detached Femto really is, or if being partly mortal again will cloud his judgement. It's the second time since the eclipse where his arrogance has had repercussions beyond his control (the first being not bothering to finish off Guts when he had a chance, but that seems to be the Godhand's collective failure).

Rickert underscores the direction the story is slowly plodding towards: Griffith sacrificed the real Band of the Falcon and he'll never have that back. His new Band just a fake, because Griffith is a giant fake.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Zasze posted:

He was way cooler when he was just a bad rear end fencer who was smart about picking his fights rather than "guy who can kinda fly and has a weirdo wind sword thing"

Giving Serpico a magic sword is what would happen if you gave Alexander the Great a fleet of tanks and knowledge how to use them.

Namely, the same thing that happens when you shoot fish in a barrel. Gleeful, one-sided battle.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

PresidentBeard posted:

The 67 week break came when miura was writing/drawing a different manga. In case you're wondering it was mecha series with a disturbing loli piss fixation.

Fixed that for you. She was also some kind of bio-android as well as the small form of a giant bio-mecha that could literally pile-drive Godzilla-sized monsters.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Guts: Oh... so it was all a dream. Time to go play some idolmaster
Griffith: I unlocked some new accessories that look really good, while you were asleep

Static shot of Guts braiding Griffith's hair as "The End" slowly fades into view.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, there a lot of them about.

It seems to be one of the few weapons in the Berserk universe not actually based on a real historical weapon. Probably because a 6'6", 400lb sword wouldn't be much use to anyone.

One might say... it was more like a heap of raw iron.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Lepecard posted:

Looking back i'd have to say my favorite arc was the Lost Children arc or as I like to refer to it as "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS"!

A particular moment that always sticks with me as it always cracks me up is when the gang gets their elemental weapons and whoever is talking about respecting the elements and it cuts to Isidro excitedly saying something like "YAY! GO BURNY THINGS!

My favorite is when he's been set on fire or whatever towards the end of that arc, and his solution is to slice open the cocoons of half-transformed children and drench himself with the goo inside.

As he turns about with a small intestine firmly clenched between a wicked grin, I think moth girl finally realized she wasn't the biggest monster in the woods any more. :black101:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Doesn't Guts get tired of holding one eye shut all the time

That's how the demons get in :ohdear:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

20 lovingly detailed pages of Griffith's turrets and abutments, can't wait!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

LordMune posted:

Same, but unironically.

No, my friend... also unironically.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

HIGH FIVE! :buddy:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I just realized Rickert is the first one to lay a hand on post-Eclipse Griffin.

Literally more badass than the protagonist and he knows mechanical-fu, besides.

I think he's got this poo poo cold.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't buy that Griff cares enough to want Rickert dead. The dude literally gained everything he wanted, in addition to godhood. Everyone in that whole city is kissing his feet like he's the only thing between them and being slaughtered by a ferocious horde of nightmare beasts (and he is).

Yeah, it's not like he has ever been in that position before and thrown it all away because he wasn't 100% in control of all circumstances.

Wait.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Bad Seafood posted:

Dude, Frag_Man.

Where you been all this time.

He was a stowaway on the boat. Now he's posting from an Elf Island Starbucks :v:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Meanwhile you have Guts and his "If it bleeds, I can make it bleed A LOT" outlook on life.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Koalas March posted:

Casca is amazing and I love her and I'm both happy and sad for her and Guts and omg JUDEAU my darling 😭😭😭

Absolute same. It’s bittersweet but at least she’s back, and she can at least talk to Guts.

and yes omg JUDEAU 😭😭😭

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

LordMune posted:

Those are 0% me and 100% Miura.

Just :dudsmile:’d IRL when I read this

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Way better than Pee-Golem and Wrestle-Titan so far! I like the adventures of Kid Iinventedthis!