Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I actually started rereading Berserk last year because I realized I'd totally forgotten most of it and that I had absolutely no idea of the events leading up to the eclipse.

But then I had to stop right before it happens because I got attached to the characters and I just can't reread the misery that's about to follow :smithicide: Berserk is drat well one of the hardest things to read casually because the only way to avoid feeling like poo poo about the stuff that goes on is to have an aura of cynical detachment on you at all times and that in itself is miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Looking back at that image, it looks so weird the way its shaded and angled. Like he has 2 upper lips, but that's supposed to be teeth.

To be fair, looking back at that image it looks like somebody's poorly traced fanart so it's not surprising the shading is a bit wonky

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Oh wow, I really don't like Isma at all. Throw her back into the ocean please

You take that back right now, Isma is the best merrow

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Has the princess de-aged or something or did Miura just forget how to draw her because she looks pretty off-model and way younger than before to me? Griffith is kind of wonky in a couple of panels too. At least the nearly insanely meticulous detail work is still there, just look at that table or the text on the scrolls, god drat

A solid chapter overall. I love that the ending kind of suggests next chapter we'll be back to the really interesting stuff. Maybe it'll even release this year!

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Of 2020

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I saw the cover, went "yep that seems just about right for Miura" and moved on with my life

I guess that explains the slower than slow pace we've been getting Berserk chapters at this year, at least

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Apparently there was a recent interview with Miura with the release of the new manga. I'm just going to steal the bullet points from some manga forum: (also includes link to original untranslated interview)

quote:

Interview with Kentaro Miura regarding his new series Duranki and how it affects Berserk
-Duranki is made under Miura's Studio Gaga. For the series, he is credited as writer and producer.
-For Duranki, assistants are taking care of the inking. As writer & producer, he right now he makes the storyboard, sketch the draft, quality checking and final adjustments. (like "Art Director" in anime production)
-Three assistants on-site, one remote.

-For Berserk, he draws all the characters and background. Assistants are only in charge of tones, buildings, background soldiers or far-off scenery. Recently he started having them draw the ground too.
-He is usually fast with storyboarding, so he doesn't think this new series will affect Berserk production. Main bottleneck is the art, because he tries to draw everything by himself.
-He hopes to use Duranki as an opportunity to improve his assistants' skills so that he will be more comfortable offloading more of Berserk work to his assistants too. Potentially speeding up Berserk releases.
-Eventually, his goal is to only do the storyboard and final adjustments for Duranki and let his assistants do the rest.
-Duranki turned into a series when he shared one of his ideas for a new manga to his editor.
-Originally Duranki was actually a isekai time travel manga, but scrapped the isekai approach because it was too prevalent and went with straight fantasy/mythology.
-His manga production is now fully digital. Made the switch around 2015 when Rakshas revealed his true identity.
-He knows he has an unhealthy obsessed with drawing every little details. Believes it's simply because he loves the old, "Baroque Period" of manga like Akira and Fist of the North Star that had really dense and detailed art.
-Quite happy with using digital to draw. He gets to zoom into stuff and obsess over each little pixel. His editor tries to stop him whenever he goes that far.
-Never felt bored making Berserk. Always tries to do new themes. Making manga is fun.
-Berserk is currently in the later stages of its overall story. Lot of shocking things coming up after the current arc.
Emphasis not mine. I'm personally a little surprised Miura's apparently using his assistants for some of the work on Berserk since it always seemed like that was something he would do all by himself. Then again there have been a few instances where characters have been reused in multiple panels so it's not that surprising, I suppose. I do like how he acknowledges his obsession with detail but also admits to taking it to the pixel level anyway. Also a little interesting is how Duranki is apparently largely not drawn by him, since it's not that readily apparent. The covers are definitely him though since the digital color is still really wonky.

Anyway, more Berserk is coming and to the surprise of no one it'll probably get depressing at some point again. Hopefully his plan pans out and we'll eventually get chapters out quicker- hahaha no I can't even finish that sentence. Hopefully next year we get more than two chapters.

Also a picture of his setup (the original interview has more pics but I'm too lazy to grab them):

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Honestly I don't think having this conversation is even worth it. Miura is a bit of creep, the parts of Duranki where he wasn't being a creep were okay, the parts where he was literally didn't even need to be there. There's absolutely no point in going "but if the situation and context was entirely different, then maybe..." because that's dangerously close to excusing him for including naked Usumgallu for what basically amounts to a repetition of what was already clearly stated in the beginning of the manga.

It was stupid, creepy and completely pointless. I feel like that's about all that needs to be said about it.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

boy do I have terrific luck, I apparently joined the Berserk boat in the same year Miura decides to only write 1 chapter :v:

Nah he did two. Two whole chapters in a year. I hope he slows down a bit next year so that he doesn't burn himself out by accident

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Captain_duck posted:

2 berserk chapters and 3 greek baby chapters! It's a busy year for Miura

I don't count those because he didn't even draw the final line art, the lazy hack

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I haven't read the new chapter but after seeing a single page from it, I don't want to and I fully support any effort to ban discussion of it on the forums. gently caress that. I don't care if it's the next writing masterpiece, if Miura can't stop being a loving creep then I see no reason it needs to be acknowledged here. If it was from some no-name creator it wouldn't be getting the leeway it has been getting so far and everyone bringing it up would be unceremoniously banned, so it doesn't really belong on these forums, let alone in this thread in particular.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Laputanmachine posted:

nudity =/= sexual

hth

Edit: To clarify, I know nudity is a really big taboo in the U.S. of A, but it is not necessarily so in other parts of the world and it doesn't always carry sexual connotations.

That said, when you can literally tell the author of a piece was writing/planning/storyboarding art featuring underage nudity one handed, you can probably be justified in arguing that it indeed qualifies sexualization and also is not a good thing

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Laputanmachine posted:

I don't know if this is you projecting or if you're just watched too much bad anime/read manga so that it's broken you but Duranki doesn't really have that kind of vibe. Sure there are sexual tones, but it's in the vein of "protagonist trying to find their identity" rather than "the reader is supposed to want to gently caress all these kids".

I was being a bit facetious, but I do genuinely believe the nudity on display in Duranki comes from a bad place. I went ahead and read the newest chapter since I realized I'd be arguing from a bad place if I were to comment more on the content. And what do you know, it's creepy as all gently caress. I don't think I should have to justify my stance of "drawing a bunch of naked kid asses is creepy and weird" but there you go.

It's creepy, it's weird and I don't believe for one loving second that actually it's about making a good point about growing up and identity and whatever. It's about Miura wanting to (have his assistants) draw naked kid asses. If you can't see that then I guess good for you? But please don't pretend you have to be a broken miser to see what's blatantly obvious

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

There is also literally no reason Miura couldn't draw this masterpiece featuring an adult character which makes it even worse btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Duranki is really good, and I’m more convinced Ruflux is the creep here. Or maybe he’s just an American prude.

Ah yes, the notorious American prudish notion of "don't make a manga with pages full of naked kids"

How the gently caress are you people still arguing this point like it's some controversial notion and why did I even bother to bring it up

FWIW I always thought Lost Children was offputting as gently caress too but I think it was probably the point. Duranki is so far offputting because... Usum needs to be naked for the story? I really don't see it. I really, really do not see any reason why it's justifiable here. It's like Gigantomachia which also was offputting because of reasons that definitely had nothing to do with Miura being a weirdo, but let's just ignore that because it's inconvenient for the argument.