Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
After re-reading this series over a couple of days on a whim, the most unsettling thing is how Varnese goes from insane chick masturbating while burning people alive during the Tower arc (Best Arc), to being the bumbling nursemaid for Casca. It seemed like a natural transition when the content was spread out over years, but it actually occurs pretty quickly in terms of chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The pacing is pretty solid when you're reading the chapters back to back. It's less solid when delivered month to month and loving terrible when delivered year to year.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Berserk feels like it's entering its final arcs (it's just taking forever to get through them). HxH still has a lot to go especially considering (current manga spoilers) they just started what seems to be a massive new arc and with most of the Kurapika stuff still unresolved . Barring the sad possibility that one of them dies I think Berserk will end first (but it will still take forever getting there).

Pretty sure Muira recently said he was like 50-60% done with Beserk, so I really don't expect the series to end unless he gets bored enough to have Guts suddenly return to his home planet.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

dis astranagant posted:

It was more like 70% and it was a couple years ago.

Considering he's gone from a volume every 6 months or so for the majority of his run, to a volume every year to now a volume every year and a half or more, this doesn't change the general prognosis.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
You people are bugging, that's the funniest loving thing I've seen in a long time.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

halleys comet posted:

I liked farnese in the tower of conviction arc where she was a self hating psycho who got horny from ppl being burned alive. It would have been cool if shed kept that personality when she joined the party instead of becoming moe

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

quote:

Aaron, however, is unrepentant to the end, regretting only that he had not done more evil in his life.

This guy sounds like a boss.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, shooting a demon with a bazooka is about as badass as it gets.

While riding a demon pterodactyl. Rickert chapters took a turn for the good after we stopped getting multi page spreads of architecture.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Good soup! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI7FqvX21eI

everyone involved with Berserk who is not "Koei" or "Kentaro Miura" please stop

just

stop

haha, holy poo poo

i had never actually watched a clip of the anime after being turned off by the animation in the trailers so i had no idea the sound direction was so bad. every single aspect of the anime is terrible, how is it getting a second season?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i forget, did guts ever get around to mentioning to the rest of the group the general outline of his and casca's past? cause it's starting to look like maybe he should have given them some pointers before they entered the mindmeld

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i guess now that we're getting new content i should read the series again.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Holy poo poo.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mabels big day posted:

I'll be the first to say I really do not care about all the weirdos who join griffith in his insane post-eclipse god king romp.

:same:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I reckon what comes out of this part Casca restoration story and going forward for Berserk will be Casca and Guts coming to the decision to kill Griffith, but not out of anger, revenge or hatred, but to finish off what remains of the Griffith they knew out of a respect for their former friend.

This kind of feels a bit wrong though, what with Griffith never really being an actual true friend with either. He was using everyone the whole time and the idea that maybe he was starting to form an actual bond with Guts is part of what drove him over the edge into self destruction.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Also you're all neglecting the possibility of them settling on elf island for good and the series coming to an end in three or four chapters.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Eopia posted:

...You mean the very island that Griffith is actively trying to destroy along with the rest of the spirit trees?

he could get distracted and forget about it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

this is like some sort of stoner humor thing where it's bad on purpose. you have to put serious effort into being so mediocre

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
hiatus is terrible, but giant face of mozgus screaming about heavenly vengeance and then bloodily chewing up a bunch of dick monsters was kind of worth it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Homeless Friend posted:

ahahahaha lmao I've never been more sorely tempted and totally averse to watching something just for the possibility of seeing amazing scenes such as this

http://i.imgur.com/wIMNsZL.gifv

beavis and butt-head do anime

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
does anyone know what the scan quality is like on the darkhorse stuff offered through comixology that was mentioned earlier in the thread? some of the old free scan floating around are really rough, but i don't want to drop a huge amount for official scans that are barely an improvement.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's the number of griffith chapters that make it feel like nothing is happening

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
drat, might have to buy that poo poo

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't think the bugmen were evil

it was still racist though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm willing to listen to someone making an argument that miura should be canceled for his general body of work, but my mind boggles at folks trying to draw a line of acceptability between berserk, and gigantomachia and duranki

even setting aside the literal scenes of child rape and child murder, and general sexual violence against female characters, the weird poo poo surrounding schierke and guts is super grody. is this stuff that just got buried in the memory hole, or are people of the opinion that those aspects of the series are cool and the stuff that pops up in muira's other works are inexplicable aberrations?