Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
so

uh

I just finished watching the 97 anime for the first time and

what the frick

what should I do now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
does the manga really start with this or am I missing something

e:

holy poo poo this is amazing already. this will be a fun read

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
k last manga I read was Bleach and holy poo poo I'm so not used to backgrounds there's a lot of information going on

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
mm k the elf is a lil bit annoying. Not for the cutesy factor but for the stand-in emotion surrogate thing. I assume it gets toned down in later chapters, right?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Imma go ahead and guess that back in the day this was a very popular forum shitpost reaction meme

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Knowing what will eventually happen, going through Guts childhood trauma and his meeting with the band of the hawks is a really :smith: experience

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

This was one of my favorite parts in the anime and it looks even more sick in the manga due to the shading.

I love you Guts, you crazy rear end maniac

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I am almost done with the Golden Age arc and so far the only prostitute that has died is Shisu, who died writhing in pain due to the plague, holding the hand of her adoptive son.

Which I consider a peaceful death in comparison considering everyone else so far has died by massive blood loss due to limb severing, skull crushed by BFS or just outright cut in half.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
...ok
this is an interesting omission the anime had

I thought I would be safe till the eclipse :stonk:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My 2 cents on Wyald since I just read those chapters last night and my memory is still fresh:

The good:

- A really badass fight that shows how much Guts has improved
- The reveal of his original form as a reminder of how apostles come to be
- This panel

The bad:

- His evil is a bit over the top
- ANOTHER Casca rape attempt
- It takes away from the Eclipse reveal by being a bit too expositiory. If it were just the fight it would work as a bridge to flow from normal to fantasy, but they go a bit too long on "Griffith is important crimson behelith this the eclipse is coming godhand godhand blablabla". Granted, we've already seen how the Behelits work in the manga with the Count so probably the reader was already aware of how things would turn out with Griffith, but in the 97 anime I'm glad they cut Wyald's fight off because the Eclipse is the actual first time we see how a Behelith works.

Speaking of stuff that was cut from the anime, it's a bit unfortunate they removed the Count's part. I really liked it cause from very early on it establishes that you can actually tell fate to go gently caress themselves making Griffith's later acceptance even worse.

Unless it's later revealed that the Crimson Beheliths work different from the normal ones, in which case nvm.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 9, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Oh and speaking of the Count, it was working well till it reaches the part where he gets back home only to find that his wife was throwing a satanic orgy party, demon goat statue included. Like how the hell was she planning on cleaning up that mess before he arrived.

That part stuck out to me as a bit silly right in the middle of a moment that was supposed to be dramatic.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Griffith meets god and asks him for a PS4

That was trippy as gently caress.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 9, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

k...maybe tell your servants to hold on on playing Game of Thrones in front of the childhood friend you are trying to brainwash into joining you next time

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
WHAT
WHY
:nms::nms:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 10, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I can only imagine a little kid in the 90s rushing to the store cause oh boi the last issue of Berserk came out

and come across this :gonk:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Oh that image is the horsey boy, maybe you should tag that young man...

woops, fixed that.

Anywho, Luca seems like a really cool and gentle person...

So what's the deal with her, or what kind of horrific death is she gonna suffer?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
oh goddamit Nina you are going to get everyone into trouble

e:

:nws:

Well, that was arts-y

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 10, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok, I finished the Tower of Conviction arc. And I think I agree in that it's been the best arc so far.

Black Swordsman was the introductory arc that focused more on generating questions and intrigue to catch the reader. Golden Age was good, but for the most part it lacked a villain. The political machinations were enjoyable though, and then the action and drama ramps up with the Eclipse. I'd say this is my second favorite. I liked Lost Childs for what it was, a (much needed) breather arc with some cool fights and character moments.

Tower of Conviction on the other hand starts with high stakes from the very first chapter and the tension is constantly rising. It has a villain that I couldn't wait to see him offed, some really good fights (aside from the final one with Guts vs the 7 torturers and Mozgus, the fight on the side of the cliff vs Serpico was also really good for how resorceful he turned out to be) a lot of really likable supporting cast (Luca for being cool overall, and Jerome for being a noble that isn't a dick) and a very engaging plot. I was so absorbed that I stayed up till almost 3 AM trying to finish it in one go but couldn't, and continued reading it this morning at work during my lunch break. Still I'm glad I took up the manga now and could read all the chapters one after the other instead of having to wait for a week/month for the next one to be published.

This scene made me genuinely smile, which lead me to try and remember when was the last time I was actually rooting for a main character. Most other mangas I've read either have a generic good guy who only wants to protect his nakama or a main character with a personality that as the story goes on gets overshadowed by either the supporting cast or the plot. Guts so far has stayed a strong lead and I am glad he has finally caught a break (for now).

Out of curiosity I decided to check how they animated the scene where Puck catches Isidro cause it made me laugh and I wanted to see what kind of voice they gave Puck and...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZsA_qn4cD0

Yeah, I can see why people told me not to watch the new anime :magical:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Chapter 182 Fierce Kushan Attack owns. I like the Bakiraka's weaponry and fighting style and the comedic timing of Griffith's arrival was great

e: Oh well, that didn't last long. Bye Bakiraka

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 11, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Griffith might be a dick but drat if he doesn't know how to put on a show.

Plus I'm intrigued as to why the Godhand would be ok with one of them going around playing knight instead of spouting random ominous philosophical nonsense

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
K, holy poo poo that was 2 chapters with a lot of infodump. I might have to reread them.

So let me see if I get this right, there's 3 planes of existence: Physical, Astral, Idea. The Astral plane mirrors the Physical plane on it's surface, but gets spookier the deeper you go in. In order to interact with the Astral plane you have to "believe", but that stopped thanks to the church.

People with the brand exist in the Interstice, the inbetween world of Physical and Astral where elves, elementals, lesser spirits and witches exist. Being close to someone with the brand makes it easier for regular humans to perceive these entities, and the more branded people the worse it gets like it happened in the Tower of Conviction arc.

Diving deep into the Astral plane is risky since you can end up getting caught in the stream of souls, the exception being if you use a Behelit which is a key to bypass into the deepest layer of the Astral Plane, right where the Godhand and the Idea of Evil exist.

While staying in the witch tree, the wounds of Isidro and Serpico heals, and the tiny witch explains that this is because the whole area is shifted into the Astral plane, and their physical forms adjust to their etheral/astral forms healing faster, did I get that part right?

The witch also says the number of attacks by creatures from the Astral plane has increased, which I assume is related to either the Godhand getting it's 5th member, or with Griffith returning to the physical plane and distorting reality or something

Where do apostles like Zodd and Wyald fall into all of this? They are both really strong meaning they are from a deep layer of the Astral plane, but people were able to see them right from the start before anyone got branded...

Did I miss anything important?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 11, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Are you actually reading it? You're moving faster than Guts out of the pit of despair.

I'm currently in chapter 215, and yeah I'm kinda burning through them, doing something of 30-40 chapters per night. For the most part it's an easy read and what takes most of the time is interpreting the motion of fight panels.

Though now with the introduction of witches and the astral world I'll probably slow down and reread some chapters cause there was a lot of information conveyed at once.

Something I found hilarious in recent chapters with the slight shift in tone focusing a bit more on the supernatural and fantasy aspect...and suddenly troll rape to remind you that yep, you are still reading Berserk.

Darth Walrus posted:

Apostles of the Godhand are exactly what they sound like - humans directly given the powers of the divine. The sacrifice ceremony permanently imbued them with the power of beings from the deepest planes and let them take it back to their world.

Gotcha, so it's what Griffith did but in a lesser, non reality warping way.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 12, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

verbal enema posted:

Just reached the Eclipse chapters after marathoning it for a day and goddamn

also goddamn some translations on mangadex are ROUGH

I'm reading from here and I think it's a pretty good translation, or at the very least there's no garbled english every other line

https://readberserk.com/chapter/berserk-chapter-218/

The Crotch posted:

Note that the Idea of Evil stuff isn't exactly canon. Whether it's been discarded entirely or will be revisited later, we don't know, but for now at least, you shouldn't worry about it.

what do you mean?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Chapter 217 kinda hints that Guts would be a good leader since he knows how to encourage and boost the morale of his companions. I hope this is heading towards Guts getting his own army to clash against Griffith's

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Here

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Oh, ok there is a place called Iith. Due to the font I kept misreading it as 11th which worked in some places ("a captain in the 11th navy") and in some others made it sound like the translator was drunk ("the third in line to the royal throne of 11th")

:v:

This 2 are totally boning each other, I'm calling it

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 13, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Skull Knight also hands out the raddest nicknames like Whore Princess of the Uterine Sea

Wish SK would give me a better forum username :eng99:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 13, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
To me peak savage was when he used the Slug king's daughter as a shield, cut off his head, proceeded to repeatedly stab his head while his daughter watched, and then hand her a knife and tell her to kill herself

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Oh boi I know where this is heading and it's gonna be epic :hellyeah:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok I'm confused as gently caress now

Chapter 283 Griffith is fighting the Emperor and uses the wind to dissipate his fog form and...he says it's a tie?

He says he can't kill him or take him prisoner because he can just turn to fog and escape, but the Emperor can't do this either cause if he escapes he loses his army...that sounds like a win-win situation for Griffith.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok, calling it for tonight in chapter 287.

I'm having fun consulting this chart to know where I'm standing at

Still got 12 years to catch up on.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Double post. Too bad.

In another 287min of reading, you'll be waiting 12mo per chapter like the rest of us.

Eh. I've been a fan of Saint Seiya since I was 4 years old and I'm currently 28. Between the current arc and the last one there was almost an 18 years hiatus and the quality took a nosedive into concrete. The Saint Seiya fandom is lucky to get a crappy spin off anime every 5 years or so, and if it turns out to be a good one it gets cancelled after 2 seasons or has it's budget cut. The creator meanwhile has expressed multiple times that he doesn't give 2 shits about the franchise but also doesn't want anyone else taking up on it.

I am familiar with despair.

At least so far the quality of Berserk's manga, both storywise and graphically, is great.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 13, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
OMG

Local Skeleton DID ruin everything :lol:

Also, Chapter 306 felt incredibly short, does chapter length vary or is it because it had a lot of widespread pages?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 14, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Oh wow, I really don't like Isma at all. Throw her back into the ocean please

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Guts adult head in his skinny teen body is super distracting in this flashback chapter

I mean, I don't blame the author, since it was literal 20 years ago since Guts' teen chapters

Out of curiosity, how did the fans react back in the day about having a flashback segment during hiatus drought?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Wait... did Chitch die?????

Please tell me she actually slipped into the astral plane and the world merging brings her back. That was the whole point of the flashback, right???

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Chapter 334 is so good, it really feels like it's building up the stage for the finale with a lot of characters coming back.

Luca :neckbeard:

I like how this could go anywhere from here. Either Griffith is revered as a god of salvation and Guts has to come and become a monster and public enemy number 1 in the eyes of the entire world

or

Griffith is just being a little poo poo as usual and gathering every single human in one spot to start the 3rd impact/nationwide human transmutation circle

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Double post: omg that was one of the most savage moments in a manga with rape horse and troll babies

2 chapters of everyone sucking Griffith's dick about how oh so amazing he is at everything to try and brainwash Rickert

REJECTED

and out of the back he skyrockets up the popularity ladder!

e:

OH HE SAYS SO HIMSELF

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 15, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The Elf ruler is totally a grown up Chitch! Please Miura, give me this at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

quote:

Th-this is bad Schierke! We went and woke up the final boss!

I wasn't too fond of Ivalera and thought she was completely irrelevant but this line bought me over.

e:
(spoilering this cause there's another person in the thread currently catching up)

gently caress SAKE WE WERE SO CLOSE

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 16, 2019