Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

http://www.manga-audition.com/zenon201610-haraxmiura/

Crossover Legends!

Pretty great interview with two of my favourite mangaka, quite a pleasant insight into their worlds.

I never thought I'd see Hara do a rendition of Guts, let alone something that badass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Does Farnese ever actually fight? Or, do violence against anyone that isn't herself or a restrained Guts or helpless poor person heretic?

She gets a bit knifey against trolls protecting Casca in some nasty cave, but from what I remember those panels were mostly exposition about fear or something idk. Outside of that instance and the magic spells I can't remember her kicking rear end, more coming to grips about herself as a person and staring at Guts' shredded (literally) body.

I think that's why I like her as a character, she's basically most dangerous when she thinks she has power but yields it without conviction or skill. When she realises that she isn't as strong as her faith lead her to believe, she clams up and is effectively powerless. Her finding strength and purpose within herself is leading her to becoming that which she once hated most and most importantly, she is gaining respect from her peers. Not for her political position, but for her emerging talents.

I'm interested to see where her personal development will go should Casca get her mind back. Even though Guts has been praising her as she's been developing her talents, the nature of Guts and Casca's relationship could do some harm to her fragile mind.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 19, 2016

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Crabtree posted:

I'd be okay with a low number of playable characters for the first game if they go the distance of making each of the arcs good and spent time trying to recreate the Manga in their own way. Sure, I want to be Skull Knight really loving bad, but if this is meant to be more of a decent single player retelling of Berserk than fine. Dazzle me with story cutscenes as I cut a billion demons into pieces.

At this point the story cutscenes are what I'm looking forward to most, they are the more memorable aspects of the Ken's Rage musos. The short cast is okay for what it is, but I would love some expanded sections where we get to fight as Skull Knight against Zodd, then an army of demons as he saves Guts and Caska. The thought of running through the eclipse sort of like the bike sequences from Bayonetta would be rad as hell.

I would have thought that Silat might have been a playable character considering his characters role in the world and his unique fighting style. Fighting with Urumi and chakram's could be great, especially for goofy musou. Or Azan, smashing goons over the head with a big hammer while preaching KNIGHTS HONOR :byodood:

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 4, 2016

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Very kind of Miura to allow garage projects to take up the mantle.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Exquisite work LordMune, my depest thanks for all the work you guys do.

Harrowing chapter, Casca seems to realize the guilt that Guts carries and the wounds he bears. He seemingly reacts aggressively only when the demons attack the casket, but bears the pain if they attack him. Does this have some connection to the waterfall where Casca mentions the wounds Guts has and how she is responsible for them (or have I misremembered)? And again in the eclipse where she tells him not to look so that he doesn't endure more pain?

I'm pretty poor at interpreting things.

I'm also very impressed with the quality of work, the digital work looks a bit better, even if the faces are still quite doll like.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 23, 2017

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Brilliantly spotted Josuke.

What a tremendous chapter, the bro-out between the Captain, Serpico and Guts was so good, even with Skull Knight's forewarning weighing on Guts' mind to see them all opening up and relaxed was fantastic. Gutsdog deserves some scooby snacks.

It must be so weird for Farneese and Schierke to see young guts who isn't torn to shreds, if and when they see what happens to him and Casca during the eclispe, or the waterfall it's going to really put their relationships to the test. Schierke has more of an infatuation of Guts, but Farneese is something else.

Casca's memory fragment is :unsmith:

Miura is one magnificent dude.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Hey Chief posted:

I worry that Farnese might not make it out of this part of the story in one piece. Being so deeply invested in Guts' and Caska's happiness, I think she'd put her life (or mind?) on the line for that. And she's a connective tissue for a lot of the group's members - Serpico, Rodrik, Schierke... Caska? ... yeah, I could definitely see Caska's restoration end up with the party fracturing.

I'm somewhat concerned for how she'll react, but considering her self development since her separating from the church I think she'll handle things a lot better. She's become aware of her evil side, wallowed in self pity and hatred, but has done so much good as a result. Her protecting Casca has taught her how to value a person's life, her learning to become a witch has granted her the ability to protect the group and heal wounds. She's become very attached to Guts, but it's a much healthier attachment, as opposed to torturing him when they first met.

She has incrementally learned to become a better person through a collection of very small steps, from being responsible for a disabled woman, to surviving very dangerous situations where she had to take action instead of relying on others, to healing a man she once took pleasure in causing harm, to protecting a group of people with skills she once thought to be an abomination. She may still be vulnerable and naive, but her realisation that she was a terrible person has lead her to live a more fulfilling life and she can see the result of her actions in others. Gut's praising her again and again has been a big help, along with Schierke's guidance.

It'll be a big challenge for her self worth, how Casca and Guts act towards each other will put a strain on her I'm sure, but I'm really excited to see what Casca has to say to Farnese.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Swift is heaven's justice and I shall eat thine dicks! NNNGH!

Tiny Casca jumping into Farnese's collar was far too adorable, outshone by GOD PRESS!

It's concerning that they have reached the eclipse and are out of fetishes, not a good omen considering Guts was practically defenseless when it started. Could it be up to Farnese to continue her tradition of protecting Casca, in the physical realm and also the dream?

Also after reading that chapter I like to think that 20 something years ago when Miura was planning this story out, he jokingly promised himself to have a chapter feature the visage of a crazed devout religious figure eating a bunch of pecker monsters, and he finally got his dream realised.

This hiatus is to revel in that achievement. Shine on Miura you magnificent bastard.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 26, 2017

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

I'm hoping that should Casca not want Guts to run and hide (like she wanted him to do when fighting Wyald) and chooses to give Griffith a good stabbing, they return to find that Falconia has been raided by Silat and friends, whom have been fully upgraded by the Tech-Priest Rickert and engaged in full blown combat with the apostles. Allowing Rickert to escape will somehow be part of Griffith's plan to eradicate the remainder of those who oppose him and maybe there, amidst the carnage where Guts and Casca stand before him, Griffith will finally decide where Guts will die.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

At first I was "Guts-dog :ohdear:"

Then I was "Guts-dog :black101:"

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Holy whaaaaaaaaaat! It's happening!

:unsmith:

She's gonna leave isn't she. The black swordswman arc when?

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Now that Farnese and Scheirke have a solid understanding of what happened to Guts and Casca, the dynamic of the group is going to be insane. For the first time Guts isn't burdened with being the only one who knew what happened during the eclispe, Puck had an inkling of the depth of his pain, but never knew for sure. Its quite exposing for Guts to have someone else know so much about his past. When Guts and Casca first speak, they better not be near any drat waterfalls!

Farnese and Casca will be an interesting interaction, she has dedicated so much time to take care of Casca, has grown an incredible amount as a person as a result, the culmination of her efforts I'm very fascinated to see.

Gonna miss Gutsdog. He's a good boy.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

The movies were my introduction to Berserk, even though the CG was a bit stiff at times, it was still a thrill to watch this band of kids come into power only to have it torn away at the end. It really got me in the mood for medieval themed stories, the second movie really got me going with the dichotomy of Guts tending to Casca after she fell, and his savage 100 man slayer battle with him questioning his motives. To someone not familiar with the story, the blend of brutality and struggle within was fascinating and made it pretty good watching. I was so eager to watch the third movie and see how Griffith's punishment panned out.

Boy did it turn out differently than I had predicted :stare:

Since then I binged the manga and became enthralled with the whole universe, the cast and how deeply complex Miura gets with writing emotion into his characters. Going back and watching the movies again is still a good time, considering their approach was not having the time to cover Gut's backstory, it left a lot to desire as a manga fan, but as a newbie it was a great introduction.

For all the changed or omissions made to accommodate the omission of Guts backstory, the only thing that I find really baffling is not having Zodd throw the sword to him during the battle of Doldry, it's a quick moment that would remind a newbie like myself, that the ethereal elements are still there carrying on in the background, and not just window dressing. I am a bit disappointed that it didn't have Guts telling his story to Casca during their first time together.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Crabtree posted:

I can never settle on which era of Mirua's art is the best as they all kind of have their own pros and cons. The current may be a little too - what's a good word, clean-cut and polished all the little deformaties and edges that previous years had. But then a particular panel hits you like a loving freight-train instead of just a brick house.

I don't think I'll ever truly appreciate how much work he's put into his art throughout his career. He puts so much thought into the framing and technical skill that it makes reading through everything so comfortable, the flow very enjoyable that I often forget how amazing the art is. Miura also being more than talented enough to tell a story with body language and good facial expressions alone will always make me thoroughly enjoy his work.

I really liked the parallel in those last few panels between Guts and Griffith. Griffith's bondage for his actions lead him to become crippled from a year of torture, his body completely useless, all done by the hands of men. Gut's bondage from his armour is also destroying him, but not before he brings down as many beasts as his will allows.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Casca's forest armour looks amazing, Isidro being hyped to train with her was great, Yoda Puck owns, but holy poo poo that punch to the stomach of what she's going through and Gut's reaction is really rough.

Feels so surreal being at this part of the story.

Also still love reading this manga, Miura's framing style and flow can be really easy to read, and panels are genuinely interesting to pour over.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 23, 2019

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Huge thanks for the translation, another magnificent job!

Cool idea so far, full of mystery, myth oriented and goat hearding! Art is really great, like how brightly lit it all is so far.

Captain_duck posted:

Amazing art as always from Miura.

So what pantheon we in? Like the satyr screams Greek pantheon, but theres also the ark, isnt that just bible mythology?. Also usumgallu sounds like even older then greek. Mesopotamian? I guess its a mixup of stuff but heavily based on greek.

It feels heavily Greek oriented, the ark could be a reference to Deucalion, son of Prometheus. The mountain could be Parnassus where the ship wrecked.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 10, 2019

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm not sure what's creepy about it? But maybe I'm just used to artistic and religious nudity. I thought the dancing with the nymphs scene was really enchanting.

Miura always this really good almost narrator voice that he uses. Like when he talks about magic coming back into the Berserk world at the start of the Conviction arc or the "Though we could only see them dancing with the butterflies"

He's amazing. The way he ties magic into each characters emotions is really something, gives that fantasy element a sense of purpose for not just the world, but the phase his character is in. The bit he did with Guts being imprisoned as a kid where he meets the flower fairy is one of my all time favourite parts of Berserk, as a standalone story it can be interpreted as a coping mechanism for a struggling boy trying to survive ongoing abuse, but within the established rules of the Berserk world it's something that serves so much more.

Miura's ability is tremendous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Laughed at mud butt, but to be fair the Rambo manoeuvre was pretty :black101: