Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Besides, Schierke might be just a little angry about the Band of the Hawk burning her treehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
She's going to re-join the Hawks.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I figured that all the weirdness that's been going on has been the result of Griffith's manipulation. He was just making everything hosed up, so that he could come and "save" the world.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Dancing Ferret, you are a remarkably helpful person!

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'd be a bit happier about the slow release schedule if the last chapter had a little more content. The plot is coming along so slowly, that I find it hard to believe that Miura will ever actually finish the story. I would like something to happen, please.

Seriously, did anything happen in the last chapter?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

hog wizard posted:

I'm actually very surprised that the Godhand let an apostle, the Kushan Emperor, become so powerful that it needed a tag team of Regriffith and Zodd to destory it.

I figured that Griffith arranged for him to become that powerful.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Is this available anywhere for those of us that can't use bittorrent?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Supposedly, we'll get another chapter later this month, so... yes! It may actually be back on track!

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Gets even more suspicious if you take into account that Guts own a Behelit, and actually has people dear to him now (who follow him as a leader, as well).

Is it his?

...or is it Puck's?!

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'm telling you guys, Caska still loves Griffith, and she'll try to rejoin him if she ever gets cured.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Diabetic posted:

I wonder how it'll explain the situation: "Oh I turned into a dog demon and nearly raped you too."

Awkward.

I don't think that's any more awkward than "accidentally" strangling her during their sex scene.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Guts' life has followed a pattern of "Find a place to belong" followed by "Horrific tragedy". It really would not surprise me at all if Miura chose to continue this.

I predict that Caska will try to return to Griffith, only to be raped/murdered by his minions. I expect the same to happen to Guts' other companions as well.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Haha. Nothing says, "I wanna get raped" like encasing yourself in iron!

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Metal Meltdown posted:

Indeed, Hell if I can recall where it's stated though.

Also, thank Christ Berserk is back in business. Anyone wanna guess how many at least monthly releases he can do in a row this time? I'm gonna say only two, so as to not have my dreams dashed upon the cruel rocks of reality:smith:

You are such a pessimist.

I guess three.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Diabetic posted:

I love it when Guts is casually violent.

Guts always looks uncomfortable when he's not being violent. He was probably relieved to have something to kill.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Speaking of little girls. I'm hoping that we're going to get an arc about Theresia's revenge. If my estimations are close, it's been a couple of years since Guts killed her dad.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'm kinda concerned because the events on Cthulu island seem like filler. This story is already taking way too long to complete; we don't need to be getting sidetracked like this.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

ArchDemon posted:

Option C: Everyone gets hit by a truck.

Except that Guts let the truck hit him, so that he could use the momentum from the impact to cut another truck in half.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If true that would make him a really weak character in the literary sense.

I don't believe you're right about that, at least I hope you're not, considering the weird hate/need relationship between Guts and Griffith is one of the cornerstones of the series, especially since Casca's insane now.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I don't really care about the endless monster/person slaughtering for their own sake, I'm in it for the betrayals and interpersonal conflict and love triangles and mutual respect, etc. And even with Guts' new crew, we've been kind of short on that lately.

I agree, wholeheartedly.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
That's great, but I want to see how this is going to end. At the moment, I'm afraid that Miura is going to pull a Robert Jordan on us. If he gets hit by a car next week, I will be pissed!

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
The guy just needs something to counter Berserk's testosterone overload.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

rapeface posted:

I'm was just talking about aesthetics. What does the realism of the armour have to do with anything? And the whole point of Guts is that he's a human that has even more bloodlust than demons. That's his "little bit of demon" imo. The armour seems more mary sue than anything. It's gotten him out of every tough fight ever since he got it and even though the plot says "omg so dangerous", you know loli-witch is going to bring him back and then he's just going to rest for a couple days.

I don't think that he's going to just "rest for a couple days". I think that he's going to get the poo poo kicked out of him again. I think that he'll be bed ridden for the rest of the trip to elfland.

What's mary sue?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Plus it makes the whole "protecting his group" a lot more exciting, since he could turn on them at any time!

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Doc Hawkins posted:

More....skeletal, perhaps?! :haw:

I could be very happy with a conclusion where Guts dies. I kinda expect it. I don't think that I would be quite so happy if the story continues with Guts undies.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

LashLightning posted:

Ok, you mean "undies" as in "Undeath", but I seriously thought for a second you were hoping the merchandising would never lead to Guts-patterned/theme underwear.

Although, a pair of box shorts with guts printed on them would be pretty badass.

Haha. I want berserker underwear that transform into the shape of my spirit animal's pelvis when I lose control of my rage!

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
If I were Kintaro Miura, I would have a massive troll prepared, just in case I die. I would write one chapter that is only to be released in the event of my death.

This chapter would show Guts accidentally tripping and falling on his sword. As he struggles to his feet, he would accidentally discharge his cannon into his own foot, accidentally setting his clothes on fire in the process. The fire would reach his stash of spiky explosives, and blow him in half.

The last panel would show Zodd pouring out a bottle of booze over a crude gravestone.

Edit: Hell, screw the last panel. It would be a beautifully drawn, two page, panoramic view of Guts's final resting place.

Lord_Pigeonbane fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 28, 2010

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Andrigaar posted:

Though it's up to debate if you want a roller coaster ride of up and down, and, what most of you guys want, Silent Hill 2's descent into the abyss until the credits role.

Berserk is quite a bit longer than Silent Hill 2. I don't think that it would be palatable to most people without some sort of comic relief. In a story this long, you really need a break from the bleakness every now and then.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
At this point in the story, Guts is starting to soften up quite a bit. He's got companions again, and he actually seems to care about their well being. I think that Puck was the blunt object that Miura used to hammer him into this new shape.

In Guts's (is that correct?) past, he was given every possible reason to refuse human contact. Every single person that he's been close to has either died, tried to kill him, or gone insane.

Honestly, I think that the story of Guts trying to reclaim his humanity is one of the best parts of Berserk.

LordMune posted:

Puck, and the lighter elements of Berserk in general, serve an incredibly important purpose; it's easy to just ladle on the horror and despair until it eventually becomes meaningless to the reader. It's not a question of comic relief so much as contrast, something to snap us out of the mundane grotesquerie, make us take a step back and go holy poo poo this is hosed up.

This is an excellent point.

Edit: Proofreading is good!

Lord_Pigeonbane fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 30, 2010

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Kip posted:

Have heart, it can't be much longer before our tiring heroes make it to Elf Island, can it? Guys? :smith:

How many years has it been since they first decided to go to elfland? I'm guessing eight. I'm also guessing that the island is still a year away.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

You Are posted:

What about the behelit? There's still that one behelit that Puck guards

Puck is going to be an apostle. We all know that this is the only way this can turn out.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Zorak posted:

I wonder if Guts is going to have to berserk mode to get out of this or not.

I don't think that he should. The thing that he's fighting right now doesn't seem that bad compared to the apostles that he's fought in the past.

Edit:

Coolio posted:

I was wondering why the latest Berserks were coming fast. Turns out it was so he could draw a naked mermaid loli. Good job, Miura.

Where did her clothes go, anyway?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Berserk: Maximum Entertainment

One of the remarkable things about this series is the fact that the early Griffith/Femto reveal doesn't stop you from being shocked by the magnitude of the betrayal. The relationship between Guts and Griffith is well developed enough that it's easy to forget that it will end badly. This makes the eclipse a monumental plot point, even though the reader knows that something bad is coming up.

A well crafted twist doesn't need to be a surprise.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Anani Masu posted:

What the gently caress have I gotten myself into.

Welcome to the sweet, sweet suffering that is Berserk.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
It's been six or seven years since I've seen the anime, but I don't feel that lack of foreshadowing is the real problem that people have with the ending.

While it is true that a lot of the supernatural elements were downplayed, they were far from absent. Two apostles were included in the show, prior to the eclipse. If Nosferatu Zodd and Cobra Commander could exist, then why shouldn't there be others? The show also included the behelit, which came with at least two prophecies. The first was relayed to the audience by Griffith, after the playful, homoerotic water fight. The second came from Zodd, after he got tired of slapping Guts and Griffith around. Both of these pointed toward some bad poo poo going down eventually. There was plenty of reason to expect an unpleasant ending to the story.

I think that most people aren't willing to admit that their real problem with the ending was how shocked they were by it. The betrayal, and violence, and death, and rape were all quite a bit worse than anything that we'd seen up to that point. These things were happening to characters that we'd grown to care about, and that made it even worse.

A lot of the time, it's easier to say, "that makes no sense", than it is to say, "that was too horrible for me to accept".

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

U-DO Burger posted:

No, I was not terribly shocked by the ending. It just wasn't gripping at all. The lead up to the Eclipse was compelling in the manga because you already knew what a behilit does, what the cost of becoming a demon is, how people get the Brand, and what the Brand does. So when the Eclipse finally happens, all you can focus on is how it's far worse than you had imagined.

I agree that the manga did it much better. Seeing examples of the process and realizing that Griffith was going to do something similar was pretty brutal. This doesn't mean that the anime's ending was bad, though.

U-DO Burger posted:

In the anime, the behilit was doing jack poo poo the entire time, and had given us no reason to care about it beyond it being a symbol of fate that can block poisonous arrows and scare off Zodd. Then it summons a bunch of beings we've never seen before and tells us a bunch of stuff that would have been useful to know earlier. Then everyone gets eaten/raped. I didn't know it was based off a manga at the time, and it felt like they'd made poo poo up at the last moment so that there'd be a connection to the first episode. I wasn't horrified by the anime's Eclipse, I was bored.

This kinda makes sense. Without the superior buildup that you get in the books, things happen pretty quickly at the end.

The anime had to cut a lot of things out in order to complete the arc in a reasonable number of episodes (although they did add at least one major battle that really wasn't more than filler). For the most part, I think that they made good choices about what to cut. As a result, the vast majority of the remaining material was focused on Golden Age stuff: the growth of the characters, and the tragedy that threw Griffith into a state of intense despair.

The world was portrayed as a relatively realistic place, with only the rare fantastic exception breaking that pattern... until the eclipse. The eclipse threw the expected pattern right out the window.

That doesn't make the eclipse a completely random event, though. In the end, this is what the whole Golden Age was building up to. This is what the prophecies and monsters were all about. This is why Griffith had to get so close to his ambitions, only to fail badly, and be tortured for so long. Despair, envy, and anger drove Griffith to make his decision. It was an emotionally charged moment.

If you only saw a bunch of loose ends flying together, then I can see why this wouldn't be interesting. I just don't think that it was that bad.

U-DO Burger posted:

Also, because the anime didn't feature the skeleton knight at all, they didn't show how Guts and Casca escaped the Eclipse. Instead, the show cuts straight from Casca being raped to Guts leaving Godo's house with his giant sword, ready to begin his rampage of revenge (if I remember correctly). I didn't even know Casca survived the Eclipse until I read the manga.

If you are trying to sell the anime as a complete story by itself, then there is no reason for Casca to survive. It is kinda unfortunate that they didn't explain how Guts escaped, though. That point confused me as well.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Don't knock the anime. The ending was pretty bad, but it did have this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdY7NMWhLc&feature=related

I was expecting "I'm just a girl who can't say 'no'!"

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

temple posted:

T....T....T....tits

Ahhh Berserk, never change.

I'm sure that they'll all be raped by demon pirates soon enough.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

hog wizard posted:

Griffith's army generals are WAY too powerful for normal Guts. Even with the armor, I bet he'd have a tough time beating one of them.

Please.

The generals are on par with Zodd, and Guts has been able to go toe to toe with Zodd for... what?... five years now?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Zorak posted:

He's been able to go up against Zodd when he's not transformed.

He has never stood a chance against transformed Zodd. Ever.

It's been a long time since I've read it, but I don't remember there being a clear winner at the sword graveyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

logger posted:

They are probably basing that on what happened inside the count's behelit, when he was dragged to hell by the people he killed.

I got the impression that this was the only afterlife in Berserk world.