Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I wonder how long this boat journey is going to last. I have a sinking feeling we'll be seeing at least one battle on it before they get anywhere near the island.

I'm also hoping that the Elves or whatever can heal Guts' scars, because by the looks of this chapter he got a whole lot more from that last fight. There's a point with scars where you go from "Badass" to "Jesus Christ man you're a loving mess" and I think Guts just crossed it.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 28, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Guerilla Medic posted:

Wait, what. Why does Caska see Farneze going all astral?

And yes, Guts is certainly crossing from cool-scarred to holy-poo poo-Nameless-One-scarred.

Where does she see them in the chapter? If you mean the last page, Farneze and Schierke are both behind Guts and Caska is in front of him.

Caska says "Ahh" and what not a lot over anything remember, she's like an easily excited child. She's probably just looking at the waves or something.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I think it was more about the shock that something he "possessed" could be taken from him, or walk away of its own free will, because he wasn't strong enough to contain it.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Shame the anime skipped an entire volume of the break though.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Well there's gonna be some big issues to deal with if that's the case. Firstly, no one in the entire group really knows what Guts' goal is or anything about his past (Well, maybe Puck, but I can't recall him finding out), except obviously for Caska but she certainly doesn't count (yet). Secondly, none of them has any reason to dislike Griffith and even if Gutts explained they might not be up for the idea of taking on an entire army just for the sake of his own revenge plot.

I think the story is going to take some big turns at this Elfhelm place. Some of the biggest progression since well....the eclipse? :v:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Honestly I don't think Griffith even cared about anyone or anything else during his transformation. The demons were mainly acting of their own will I assume and would've ripped Guts to shreds if they had any more time before the Skull Knight appeared. Griffith raping Caska was just an example of him taking something he wanted I think, although he definitely done it in front of Guts deliberately in a "gently caress you for leaving me" kind of way.

There's a chapter of Berserk that was removed from the canon because Miura felt it gave away too much too early on. It's what happens during Griffith's transformation and you get more of a glimpse inside his mind in that state. My memory of that gives me a feeling that Griffith really wasn't thinking about any of his band in the least then although honestly I can only barely remember some of the dialogue.

Oh and random point but I don't think you really need to spoiler things from so early on, especially pure speculation about it.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

That symbolism is definitely there, but that doesn't mean Miura wont swing a change in the plot where reattaining one or both of these things is more important to Guts' goal and the overall story than the symbolism of the past.

Perhaps upon either reattaining his sight or arm, Caska is simaltaneously brought back to her previous self... but has feelings drastically different to that of Guts. Perhaps this'll create an iconic exchange, though this journey has brought something back to him, he loses something else, the glimmer of hope that things would be the same with Caska again.

Saying that though I don't see Guts getting his eye back and his arm would only be at an incredibly stretch. I mean you'd basically need someone with Orihime of Bleach fame's level of duex ex machina healing ability. Berserk's world has magic and healing powers, but it's in a slightly more realistic sense. I don't recall ever seeing something regenerated from nothingness as of yet, so I think the only possibility would be Guts having a new arm or eye grafted onto him, with a severe risk that his body will reject it at some point.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I just had a look around for the 288 raw and although I didn't find the raw itself, I did find an annoying bit of info. Next chapter after 288 wont be out until September 14th.

Oh well I guess the bright side is that it's a week less than the wait between 285 and 286!

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

So what's the current word on Berserk's release schedule? Are they going to try to put out new chapters on a normal schedule from now on?

It's always the drat same in recent years. For a little while, it's once every 2 weeks. Usually a month or 2 like this, the way it used to always be. Then Miura has a "break" and the next chapter either doesn't have a date, or the date is over a month off, if not a couple of months. Usually as soon as that chapter comes out though, it has a 2 week date for the next one again.

I doubt we'll ever see a 2 weekly permanent schedule again unless Miura gets to some part of the story he's wanted to draw for YEARS and suddenly is all fired up.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Well there we go, 9th of November for the next chapter. Oh well, I suppose it's only a little over a month.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I thought the same at first but I think it was just more Puck celebrity/famous character puns and that kind of poo poo

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Only 2 days until some new Berserk, shame we're going back to that loving annoying Gana-loving-whatever-his-name-is poo poo though. :argh:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

There's rumours about a new anime series/ova's endlessly, all the time, it just never ends up coming to be. Apparently the original series wasn't really hugely successful due to its late time slot or something.

I guess there's also the fact though that Miura could still be working on this in 10 years time, if not longer, so if they made a new series then it could only go so far before they had to take a break for several years again.

OVA's would be the best bet probably, sort of like how things with Hellsing are, with releases being as inconsistent as those of manga chapters. That'd be one shitload of ova's though.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Holy poo poo that's hilarious and awesome.

Is that Gutts under the logo? Man, Caska sure ages a whole lot better than him!

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

maxxheadcheese posted:

Well not that much happend. But then again, just 2 weeks til next chapter.

Then after that, 2 months, as has been the pattern for like the last year.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Is there no date for the next chapter at all? That's pretty bad, the last time that happened it was over 3 months I think.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

No, that's the volume release of 32 I think. There has never been a weekly release in the history as far as I know and the release dates for next chapters are usually always on the last page of the chapter itself. This one looks like it might say "till next time" or something like it did when we had a HUGE break.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

It's not that much more likely he'll die in the next 15 years than it was he'd die in the last 15. If he keeps up this current loving release schedule though of about 10 chapters a year who knows if we'll be close to finished in 15 years or if the crew will just be sailing back to land from where they're going now.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Taumpy Tearrs posted:

I heard there were a few parts of the manga being totally changed or cut out for the anime so it'll be a new experience.

Wasn't so much changed or cut but episode 1 of the anime was like an introduction to the "current timeline" of Berserk and the rest if the backstory behind everything. In the manga though instead of just fighting that count, there's a ton of other stuff that happens before the backstory kicks into full force.

For the record though make sure to read all of that again in the manga since there are some character and plot omissions in the anime (as mentioned in above posts). One big scene is when they're fleeing from the castle just before the ending, that didn't go anywhere near as smoothly and quickly as it looked in the anime.

Oh and if you're initially offput by the weirder art at the beginning of the manga don't worry, Miura's style alters quite drastically as the story progresses and the detail level keeps on going up throughout too, which sadly is probably the main reason we wait months on a chapter now.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

3/28 for the next chapter ay? Not bad Miura, 3 chapters within about 2-3 months...let's just hope there's not a 6 month break after that.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

^yeah uh I certainly don't recall that. I can only remember 2 instances in which Gutts has met Griffith after the eclipse, those being when the Godhand are summoned in one of the first view volumes and that other time where Gutts ends up fighting Zodd, which I completely forget the circumstances of too.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

That was sort of expected (the next chapter release). He's been following a steady pattern basically, where it's like there's one chapter, then another one two weeks later, then a month or 2 break, then another 2 chapters in approximately a fortnight....and then an indefinite pause with no date for the next one.

I'm not sure if this trend will ever end actually, in fact it might increase, with Miura simply trying to make sure he finishes Berserk before he dies. So yeah, we honestly might realistically still be reading this in 2020.

About the chapter itself... well good stuff as usual but it's a shame that despite the increasing periods between chapters, Miura almost seems intent on constantly upping the quality of artwork and keeping the pacing exactly how he intends, regardless of whether it means we wait weeks or months for a chapter full of tons of double page spreads of the same events and no progression. Build up and hype is great...when there's a regular schedule...

Well whatever I guess at least there'll be a manga I'm very likely still going to be reading when I'm in my 30's so I'll always have some chapters to look forward to.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 13, 2008

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I think that's mainly just symbolism for what the Emperor see just now, not necessarily Griffith's current form.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I bet we get like 5 chapters next year tops or something.

I also bet people just clicked this hoping a chapter date was here! That's not my intention though I was sorta hoping someone somewhere had news.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I wouldn't show Berserk (the manga at least) to family or friends unless they somehow edited a no-rape version of the series.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Saw a rumour of new chapter on 24th. No source though so don't get your hopes up yet...not worth the disappointment if it's not.

It really should be due by now though so I wont discount it. Miura must be planning on finishing the series someday...

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The new chapter will just be 18 page-rectangles that foldout 1 by 1 into a massive panoramic shot of the battlefield.

Then we'll get the next "page" this time next year woot.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'm getting the feeling what happened now actually is that the publication staff burst into Miura's office a few weeks after 297 was sent to them to see how 298 was going...and found him surrounded by mountains of Griffith spreads, in piles labelled up to chapter 310, furiously working on another one at that moment.

They immediately seized him and threw him into solitary confinement until he promised not to do that anymore.

...and they've only just got an agreement!

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Gvaz posted:

when we do get an update, can a mod change the thread title to "OH GOD A BERSERK UPDATE :flashfap:"

There was an update actually a new chapter is supposedly coming, I forget when though.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

^Looks more like he has smaller apostles/demons growing out him or something to me. It'd make sense for him to have living parts break off to fight the army or something

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I guess the waits are understandable again when you see stuff like this. Most normal people would probably take like a week to do something like that alone, even with a degree of talent

It's insane that for all those years he did have a chapter out every 2 weeks really.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I guess this fight must be really important to Miura somehow. We've had nothing but hype and set up of it for like a loving year, using as many spreads as possible on as LITTLE as possible.

It all looks pretty but I seriously hope this is like some massive turning point in the storyline or something with how much hype it's got.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Captain Controversy posted:

The date at the end was the best bit. A whole lot of nothing happened in this ish, but I'm glad we at least got a solid date.

Don't be so happy. It's happened the same way for the last 2-3 years. We have a break for a few months, then there's a few chapters in a row without too much of a gap between them, then all of a sudden there's either a chapter with a ridiculous far off date, or there's no word on next chapter at all.

The situation's been getting progressively worse, too.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

^Miura drew a double page spread simply of Griffith's face alone. That's like...the most important event in the entire manga. :v:

On a serious note I guess the "war" started at least. Since the hype and build up is over now hopefully that means more time can be spent on simply ploughing through this battle.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'm not usually the type of guy who has trouble figuring out what's going on in manga but the sheer volume of DEMON WAR in this chapter confuses the hell out of me trying to see who's killing what and picking out one monster from the others. For the first bunch of pages anyway.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Uh there is a new chapter (301) if that's what you mean, or at least there were a shitload of spoiler pics last I checked.

Also news that there's another "indefinite" break with no word on next chapter coming out again.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Is this manga over yet?

Maybe in 2025. I'm not even remotely joking either. I can't see it being finished before then at current pacing and that's no exaggeration. Miura will probably get slower as he goes into his 50's too (he's 43 or so now), assuming he doesn't just quit altogether.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'm estimating we get 6 issues of Berserk this year tops.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

A new chapter is coming this month after all.

Chapter 302 will be released on the 24th of April.

No, I am not lying. That would be very cruel at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Dorito Jesus posted:

Franky House seems to have scanlated the latest chapter already. It's on mangahelpers.

That was totally not worth the wait. The only thing noteworthy about this chapter is that we're getting another one on May 8th.

Uh. Berserk chapters aren't delayed to make them any more special.

Miura's breaks are regular and when he comes back it's just a normal chapter. Don't get your hopes up for some reason for something mindblowing.

The Scanlation is retarded for some reason they have every page in spread form and then split up into separate pages afterwards for some retarded reason.

Anyway the entire chapter is spreads basically and there's no dialogue but Griffith riding on Zodd's back is kinda cool. Reminds me of when Guts did it.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 22, 2009